“Scenic vistas for water lovers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Denver, Colorado
“Scenic vistas for water lovers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for her birthday. We flew into San Francisco from our land-locked state and drove down to Half Moon Bay to the hotel. The drive to the hotel does not prepare you for the views from the other side of this luxury hotel. We checked in and received a complimentary glass of wine from a visiting winery (a good way to start your stay!). We put the bags in our room, which faced the front of the hotel. We walked out back and saw the surf pounding against the rocks along the coast. The view was hypnotic. There was an open courtyard and two outdoor gas fire pits surrounded by chairs and blankets to keep you warm. There was an outdoor gazebo that featured chocolate concoctions at night. There was a beautiful golf course that surrounds the hotel. The 18th hole ends not far from the courtyard. Once when we walked back to the hotel, we noticed an errant golf ball in the middle of the courtyard and some amazed (stunned?) hotel guests (the ball was hit over their heads). I guess you do have to pay a little attention to the golfers. We went for a walk on the coastal access path and went down to a nearby beach. We could feel an ancestral tug to walk by the ocean and listen to the waves pounding against the shore.

When we arrived back at our room, we saw a birthday cake and a bottle of wine that the hotel had delivered. My wife was flattered and surprised. It was a nice touch by the Ritz-Carlton. We dined at the Navio Restaurant that night and had a good dinner. My wife was captivated by the sea salt that she saw in a glass case as we walked to the restaurant (we bought some before we left). We did not take advantage of the spa or the pool (a short hike, or golf cart ride, from the main hotel). This was my first stay at a Ritz-Carlton. It was a splurge for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room. All rooms are likely to be quiet.
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was one of the nicest properties I have ever stayed in. I came here with my wife and 2 kids (5 and 7) and everyone was extremely happy. The service is incredible and the restaurants are great. Some people did suggest that I am better off staying at the Beach House Half Moon Bay but decided to check this out and use Marriott points.

Pros:
- One of the most beautiful properties with unmatched service!!
- Great restaurants, shuttle service into to town, roasted marshmellows in fire pits, short walk to the pool, great gym and more.
- Free wine tasting
- Beautiful rooms with an amazing view of the Pacific
- 45 minute ride to Santa Cruz boardwalk which my kids loved

Cons:
- Expensive....breakfast could be $30 per person if you are not careful and my kids/wife eat very little. The second day we went into town for breakfast. Dinner at the hotel was worth it.
- $45 a day to keep your car, $25 a day resort fee....
- Pool is a walk away and it can get cold

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stopped at this location as a break during our PCH road trip, with the intention of sitting on a fire-pit terrace facing the ocean, drinking wine procured during a trip to the Sierra Foothills. The property shines, has an amazing location and an ambiance you cannot begin to describe with words.

It was mighty disappointing when the room was not ready at check-in, so we had lunch at The Conservatory. Halfway through, we received a call that the room was ready. I went to the front desk, and the clerk said we were upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite. I said I appreciated the gesture, but we really came for the fire pit terrace and ocean view. Her reply was, "Sir, we gave you THE oceanfront suite with fire-pit and three terraces." Needless to say, I was shocked and almost fell to the ground.

The suite was perfection- fireplace in the bedroom, full-size booze bottles by the bed and had a beautiful bathroom. That night, we watched the sun set, drank our wine, and enjoyed room service on the terrace next to the fire-pit. It was a special night everyone should have at least once.

Also, don’t forget that entry to the spa locker rooms is included. The men’s locker room is exceptional and leads out to a coed indoor Jacuzzi with fireplace. We never used the shower in the suite, we went to the spa both times!

Room Tip: Splurge and get a fire-pit terrace room overlooking the ocean, if you enjoy a chilly evening under a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ittessot
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

beautiful resort and view but we arrived wanting to use pool. the pool is indoors with a couple poor quality lounge chairs with no pads. come on ritz what are you thinking??? if they fixed this area i would highly rec property. The pool does not reflect the quality else where on propery.

Room Tip: ask for veranda with outdoor fire pit overlooking bar area.
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank sandyfeet59
Pacifica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I had our anniversary at the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay in California last November 2011. We had a Fire Pit room for 2 nights. I requested room with direct ocean view. They gave us one facing the south golf course while many 100% ocean facing rooms were available. Disappointed.

Obviously our expectations were high when the room had a 4 figure value. Review is based on the price. The room is very nice but not as nice as we expected. Any of the mega hotel at Vegas for a much lesser price will easily win over this one. Plain old white sheets so uninviting. It had a nice perhaps 40" HD TV. However there were only 3 HD channels and none was ESPN. The fire pit right outside the patio door was out of order and didn't fire up. Actually further away from the patio door and fire pit was the public walkway and next to it was the golf course. So I had to call service. The maintenance person instead of coming to our room first, went directly to the fire pit and started working without talking to us. I was standing at the patio door at that time. He saw me but never said a word. I found it a bit surprised. Later the night, my wife was sitting on the patio chair outside and a maint cart came by. With the head lights on her and for whatever reason, the person asked "can I help you?". It was asked in a tone that we didn't expect.

With the resort fee, it included tennis court with autoserver, putting on green, indoor swimming (but pool is away from main building) and a beautiful huge hot tub with robe. Most hotel personnel greeted us except for 2 suited managers at lobby didn't. We were walking and taking photographs at that time.

Overall we had a good time there. We enjoyed the gorgeous Pacific Ocean surrounding and landscapes. Hotel offers valet parking only for a daily fee and no self parking or any parking space nearby. Well, there is a way to get around that. Thank you.

Room Tip: not sure if there is any, the hotel did not give me what I requested. So I guess they don't care...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

In my former career I managed events nationally for one of the worlds largest banks. The upside is that I got to see and stay at many beautiful properties. Although I booked numerous golf events at the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay I never actually stayed there. My husband and I were asked to join friends spending the weekend there to celebrate their anniverary so we joined the celebratory couple for their last day. They generously treated us to spa services so I had the pleasure of discovering this spa for the first time. Like most high end spas there was a check-in process and introduction to the facilities (dry sauna, suit optional all woman's jacuzzi, steambath, shower area). Just as I was settling in the lounging area (with a cozy fireplace) my massage therapist came for me. Note to the Hotel - While the Mighty Leaf Teas, lemon water and fresh fruit are fine pre-therapy snacks what is with the salted nuts? The whole idea is to reduce swelling and water retention in the spa. Given the proximity of the pumpkin capital what about roasted unsalted pumpkin seeds? Also the sitting arrangement in the pre-treatment waiting area is odd. The large sofa arrangement gives no one a place to rest a drink or snack. Only the armchairs by the fireplace have side tables.

Jacquelyn was my therapist and she was excellent. She made full use of the 30 minutes targeting the areas I directed her to. I had recently sprained my ankle so she had to contend with that as well. A choice of aromatherapy was offered during the session as well. She used a product called "Yoga Balm" on my feet and ankle which I subsequently purchased in the spa store ($45). No question that my feet, ankles and back are feeling better today. At the end of our session she handed me a card with her recommendations for my conditions that were thoughtful and insightful. On the back of the card a post-treatment ritual was described that is not to miss. You do have to request it of the attendant (no extra charge). There is a quiet low-lit room with Chroma light therapy. The attendant provides a warm herbal neck wrap that was frangrant but not overpowering. She covered me up with a blanket and left me to practice the deep breathing exercise described on the card. My worries and the outside world just evaporated. The spa actually offers a discount card so for locals this is a good excuse to come down for the day and relax.

I checked out the Sunday Brunch which at $90 is certainly steep but the buffet area was packed to the gills. The food was spectacular and not the average fare by any means (although there is a traditional breakfast station as part of the brunch).. We will definitely be back when we have a special celebration.

Last but not least we had a chance to check out our friend's room. The booked directly through the hotel and paid $550 for their accommodation. The room was not huge but well designed and offered a killer view of the coast complete with window banquette. A complementary bottle of pinot noir awaits arriving guests too. One of the nicest touches though was that the anniversary couple was gifted a CD of favorite hits from their wedding year. with a personalized note from the hotel. Their favorite song ever is on that CD.

The only down note was that the side chair in their room was looking pretty ratty. They fabric (kind of a silk nubby loose weave fabric) was pulled all over with hanging strings and should be replaced. Staff throughout the hotel were gracious, make great eye contact and eager to please their guests. The hotel is also very dog friendly for those traveling with four-footed friends. Now that the Ritz-Carlton is part of the Marriott group, great care needs to be taken to maintain this brand so that guests know why they are paying top dollar to stay at a Ritz-Carlton Hotel.

Room Tip: You would want a room facing west towards the ocean. I believe there are three key pricepoints on th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LDGM
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We just spent 3 days at the RCHMB. It is a beautiful resort and setting. The cool weather was a welcome relief from Houston. The staff (all of the staff) were very helpful and friendly. It is a great place to relax and an easy drive to other venues. Will definitely return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Half Moon Bay
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
#5 of 233 in San Francisco
4.5 of 5 stars 449 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!