“Luxury on Northern California Coast”

The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Walnut Creek, California
“Luxury on Northern California Coast”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

The Ritz Carlton Hotel chain has a deserved reputation for luxury. Their property in Half Moon Bay, near San Francisco, is no exception. It is a magnificent location - on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The hotel fine dining restaurant is one of the best I have ever patronized. And the bagpiper that plays every afternoon just adds a perfect touch as you sit and watch sunset.

Room Tip: I think lower floors, on the north end of the building, are desirable. But most any room is going t...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
ontario
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We are average travelers who don't book Five star. But this was an anniversary so we splurged and took the lowest priced room. I doubt people who regularly travel Five star care what trip adviser types have to say so this is for the special occassion splurgers like us. Yes it is definitely five star, and spectacularly beautiful. It's possibly worth it just for the view and overall ambience. The staff are all very nice and gave no impression of snobishness as they wisked away our rented Ford Focus( valet parking you see )and steered our less than designer bags into reception. Regardless, don't expect for a moment you will be doing anything unescorted and that tips will not be required for services proffered. Being inexperienced at this game I did fail to tip on a couple of occassions when I probably should have. Fortunately I was not made to feel any less for the error. Everything is very professional here, even the handling of the pretenders and splurgers.But in California it's hard to tell who has real money and who does not. Everyone is casually dressed, even at night in this fancy hotel restaurant. Maybe everyone there was a splurger ?? Anyway, the food was excellent but of course pricey. Therein is the only negative thing I could say.This particular hotel is located out of the way so if you opt for more reasonable priced meals in town you will need to go through the valet thing to get your car. Other than that a definite five star and worth it for a night's splurge on a special occassion.

Room Tip: The least expensive rooms are the pet friendly ones.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nairene
New York, NY
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Unfortunately, we are not golfers. The beautiful view of the ocean is cut off by acres of golf course, carts, and golfers. However, a beautiful view it still is.

We found the service to be very good; at these prices, it should be! We stayed in the oceanfront suites in the guest houses. Another reviewer complained about the pool events for local special needs kids; we appreciated them, as they provided something for our toddler to watch and enjoy. There is not much for a toddler in Half Moon Bay except a small toy store (Lemos Farm is only open during the weekends), and the Ritz Kids events do not apply to kids under 5.

However, the hotel concierge was able to supply us with a superlative babysitting recommendation: Town and Country. We hired a really wonderful babysitter for two nights.

As for the food - Navio is closed on Tuesdays, so we mostly ate at The Conservatory Lounge. Service was fine, there is a nice jazz group on Thursdays, but it would be nice if the menu were expanded. However, room service was highly satisfying - we ordered breakfast almost every day, and there were a range of choices.

A word about soundproofing - I will agree that this was not taken into account when the hotel was constructed - I cannot speak for the main hotel, but the pricey oceanfront suites were noisier than I would've expected. I think our upstairs neighbor had a pacing problem.

The spa facial was excellent but I just found all of the products on Amazon.com for $20 less than the spa shop price, so I'm kicking myself for not investigating first.

Finally, I do agree that the property is somewhat rustic for the price; some Ritz-Carltons seem downright palatial in comparison. However, I will say that we greatly enjoyed our stay because of the gracious service, the clean air, and the spectacular views. However, if you enjoy privacy and quiet, I would recommend that you visit during inclement weather, as we did.

Room Tip: Ask for a top-floor suite by the ocean, because you will hear your upstairs neighbors pacing back an...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank travelsterNewYork_NY
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband surprised me with a visit here a couple weekends ago. While I appreciate the thought, I would have rather spent the money on a trip to visit my family across the country. Yep, it cost that much....for ONE night. The room was nice, but I thought it was rather small for the cost. It was the same size as any other hotel room, with the exception of the bathroom, which was roomy and nice, with a spa tub to relax in. The decor was lovely, and the ocean view beautiful. Falling asleep listening to the ocean waves is always a dream.
But the biggest disappointment was the cost of the food, which raised out total cost by double. When my husband decided to check out their breakfast bar in the morning, he came back with two plates of fruit, eggs and yogurt. Two plates...for over $70!! For a breakfast buffet?! He said he had no idea of the cost up front or he would have walked away. While the hotel was lovely, and the service was exceptional (everyone was very kind), we feel totally ripped off after this experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank calebsmum
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Rooms were lovely, really nice and modern feel to the whole hotel, the Spa was fantastic, the service is all you could ever ask for from an American hotel.

Staff were very courteous and efficient and super friendly.

"No problem " to anything you asked for at any time.

I thought eh food was outstanding, especialy the breakfast and the fruit, the steaks were original and delicious, all the fayre was beautifully presented, Hightly recommend this hotel

And then their were teh golf courses which were in immaculate condition DESPITE 6 inches of rain the previous week. I preferred the Old Course personally which was interesting adn varied althought the cliff views and scenery on the Coastal course were stunning . lots of fog as you would expect in this area of the country but did not worry us in the slightest

Very very good stay

Room Tip: Sea View a must
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Mercer Island, Washington
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This was the romantic destination for our 29th wedding anniversary trip. Just my husband and me, dinner in our room, a movie, long walk along the beach, perfect weather. Completely ruined by the fact that I left my wedding ring and a small pinky finger baguette diamond ring in our room upon checkout. Senior moments happen, and it happened to me, I answered a cell phone call while putting on my jewels. Then I forgot to complete the process. It is that simple. Checked out, drove to Oakland Airport and only there, at my gate, 3 hours after having left the Ritz, I discovered my rings were not on my little finger of my right hand. Immediately called security who proceeded directly to our room, THE BED LINENS HAD ALREADY BEEN REMOVED and my rings were not on the desk where they'd been left. The hotel denies that they were ever there, despite my photographs in the room showing rings on my finger. No big deal, right, not high value items. But the sentimental value and the irony of losing my wedding ring on our 29th anniversary trip PRICELESS. Hotel basically denied I ever left them on the desk - claim turned down - and I have lost a precious part of my gold collection, my wedding ring. I know where the rings were left and the bad taste left in my mouth that the woman/women who stripped the bed took the rings is galling. Specially as they pocketed the tip we left! Police report filed, but hotel denied culpability and so it is with some regret, that this beautiful, expensive resort gets a zero for my review.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Stealth10x
Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed March 26, 2012

This beautiful hotel, located in a beautiful spot of Half Moon Bay, just south of San Francisco, has everything you would expect from a five-star hotel: high-end rooms, first-rate dining, prime location, luxurious spa services, business services, and so on. The high level of expected service that one would expect, however, was absent. The service from front desk personnel, porters, etc., was good, but not good enough for a five star hotel.

This hotel is expensive. I expect 5 star service for the 5 star price.

Room Tip: If you willing to pay for an expensive room here, ask for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
#6 of 228 in San Francisco
Harbor View Inn
#8 of 8 in Half Moon Bay

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!