“Luxurious- great for golfers and couples.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Philadelphia
“Luxurious- great for golfers and couples.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

This was a great hotel- just probably not for a family trip- it's very secluded and romantic. It's also quite gloomy, with fog rolling in just about constantly. The golf course is amazing and I was wishing I could play but oops! We were with my 5 yr. old.
I could definitely see staying here with a significant other or for a golf outing but, I do love the sun on my face and I was not expecting the gloomy skies all the time.
The room was very luxurious with fine details. Very comfortable beds, as expected at the Ritz. A wonderful night's sleep is waiting for you here. The service was the kind of service you would expect at this hotel- they are there to please you.
The atmosphere is very somber and the crowd is conservative, respectful and quiet.
The 38 dollar breakfast buffet was kind of a waste for me (I only eat a little bit at breakfast) but my husband and daughter partook, and they were happy with it. There are not many food options in this hotel but I did love the quiet luxury- just wish I could golf, darn it!
As far as activities, there were not many and the shopping is not great, if you are used to city shopping or a good mall.
We loved the marshmallow roast by the big fire pits in front of the ocean cliffs. Awesome view. Lovely moment. The bag piper was a nice touch and it was Scotland all over again!
The pool is in a different building and not at all convenient- but they will drive you to it, whenever you wish and pick you up.
HOWEVER... the entire stay was completely worth the lobster roll sandwich I had at Sam's. I am still thinking about it. Sam's is a seafood dive a few miles away. Yum.
Anyhow, I would have stayed another night if not for the gloomy weather- just wanted to be in a sunnier spot.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank stb3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

I would give this hotel 5 stars, but I would give the weather in HMB in August maybe 2 stars. And that's OK. We knew going into it that the weather was going to be cool and foggy, and indeed it was. Still, it can be a bit of a shock when you get there. We had a lovely oceanfront suite, and yet we could only see the ocean from our windows about half the time. The fog is amazing. Beautiful in its own way, but definitely obscures the views that you are hoping for!

Weather aside, the property itself is downright amazing. Gorgeous cliffs, spectacular beach, a meticulously-manicured golf course, and lots of great walking & biking paths to explore. Great wildlife-watching too. The outdoor dining/sitting area is to die for -- lots of comfy chairs and awesome fire pits for warming up or toasting s'mores. The whole setting is very peaceful and relaxing and soothing. Our suite was very nice, although the living room was a bit small. The casual restaurant was delicious and the cocktails were fabulous (we never made it to the more formal restaurant, Navio). And generally speaking, the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Our only issue was upon check-in. We got there quite early (10:30 am) and knew that we might have to wait a couple hours for our room. But the person who walked us to the front desk led us to believe there was a good chance we could get our room early. And then the front desk said that yes it was possible and they would do the best they could. Well, several hours pass (we had lunch and explored the property) and we finally check back to find out that the previous guests in the suite reserved for us had decided to do a late check-out, which meant the room wouldn't be ready till around 5:00 now. OK... that's fine but why didn't anybody tell us that earlier? If we had known that the room wasn't going to be ready until the EVENING, we probably would have just made plans for the day. But instead they strung us along from 10:30 till 3:00 and then told us. So that was a little disappointing and not the best start to our stay there, but we quickly got over it because everything else was wonderful.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a coastal Northern CA experience, though I might suggest they go in September or October, when I'm told the fog lifts and the days are sunnier. But overall, we had a fantastic time and really loved this property.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank travel141
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

We selected this location for our executive retreat so my husband and I decided to arrive early and spend a relaxing weekend together. For the most part I enjoy the Ritz-Carlton brand but have found in some locations (like Dana Point, CA) the snooty-ness factor is too much for me. HMB is much more relaxed and casual as a town and the hotel reflects that personality..the fire pits scattered throughout the property are a nice touch to accent this. The views are amazing, the service is superb and the rooms are comfortable. They catered to our business needs in the same excellent fashion and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We originally had a golf-course view and asked to be upgraded to an ocean-view room so just ask!
1 Thank Gigi206
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

What can you say about another five-star property situated on the most perfect point in Half Moon Bay facing the mighty Pacific Ocean. The staff is first class, the service impeccable and the rooms stellar. Big super clean made for royalty beds with quilted downs, down pillows, and the best of everything from television to communications. The restaurant food was grand, the cocktails superb, and the view from the restaurant memorable. The gym/workout was first class, but was missing an abdomen device. The grounds were wonderful and a short trail walk to the north gave you a great experience with nature and the unique ecosystem proximal to the hotel. We're not golfers, but apparently the golf course is one of the best! A definite must for a romantic weekend or get away!!!!! Now, if they could just lift the fog once in a while, you'd be in heaven!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank rohbogen
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay for two nights in August 2011 as part of a longer trip to the Bay Area and Sonoma County. What a property! Staying at HMB is like being transported to a Scottish manor (or at least, I think so... haven't been to Scotland.) The main building is gorgeous, perched right on a cliff, surrounded by two of the best-manicured golf courses I've ever seen.

We were in the cottages, on the second floor, without a balcony. The room was amazing, exactly what you'd expect from the Ritz. Everything was very comfortable and the attention to detail was impeccable. Linens, towels, and furnishings felt high end. there was a DVD player in the room and you can borrow DVDs from the concierge. We were right by the tennis courts and a gym/pool. I used the gym and thought it was great. I understand that the main building also offers yoga and other exercise programs - these were of interest but we just ran out of time and weren't able to take advantage of them.

The service at the Ritz is just over the top. When I pulled up, the valet took my car. By the time I checked in and learned we were in the cottages instead of the main building, the car had already been parked. Not to worry - the bellman promptly pulled up in a courtesy car and drove me and our stuff to the cottage, then brought the car to me. We ate in the Conservatory Lounge for Burgers, Beer, and Jazz on Friday night. I had a salmon burger, my husband had a regular burger, and we were very satisfied.

We played both golf courses and they were great. The marshall checked on us a couple of times and made it clear he wanted us to have a good time. All of the staff were friendly and helpful.

I should mention that we stayed here on a Friends and Family rate. I was a bit concerned when I read a previous review by someone else on the same rate who felt they were treated poorly because they weren't paying rack rates. We didn't experience that at all. Everything about our stay was what I expected from the Ritz.

The only caveat I'd add is one I've seen on here frequently: BRING A SWEATER. It doesn't get very warm at HMB, even in August. The entire time we were there it was foggy and cool, and it was misty on occasion as well. Twenty miles east it was beautiful, sunny, and warm, but at the Ritz it stayed gray and damp.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

My husband took me to the Ritz Half Moon Bay for my special birthday celebration this year. We had a lovely room on the 3rd floor overlooking the 18th green and the Ocean. Even though the weather was cool and foggy, the superlong window seat with the great view really made it cozy. We spent some time in the spa downstairs one afternoon after a walk. Make sure you give yourself some time to enjoy that.

The staff are super helpful, attentive and really went out of their way to make us happy. When my husband told them it was a special occasion, he merely mentioned in passing that I had a desire for blueberry tarts, and they delivered some specially made seasonal tarts to our room for my birthday, with a card from the Guest Recognition Team. Nice Touch.

The concierge staff were very happy to make us dinner reservations in town or recommend a perfect hike in a nearby Redwood Forest for us.

For my Birthday we enjoyed a 5 course tasting menu at the main dining room, Navio, together with wine pairings. We chatted with the Wine Director, about the specific pairings and were quite impressed with his enthusiasm. Apparently he is a top notch young Sommelier, and the establishment has a lovely wine list to match.

I would not hesitate to recommend or return to this hotel, any time.

Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

I was here with my mom and brother. After a horrific experience at St Regis San Francisco, the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay was just the stay we needed.

Service: From the moment we arrived, we were treated like VIP. From valet, to bell boys to checkin, everyone was extremely friendly and went out of the way to make sure we were well looked after. I injured my leg before arriving to the hotel, and immediately upon arrival, the hotel drove me to the local clinic and got it checked out. Upon check out, my mom forgot her wedding ring in the room safe. The hotel got someone to drive all the way out to San Francisco to deliver the ring, free of charge. I cannot commend the service enough.

Restaurant: The restaurant in the hotel was absolutely amazing. From service to food, everything was top notch! If you ever have the chance to drop by the restaurant, you must try their Miso Halibut. Wow. Breakfast is served every morning in the same area and again, it was very good. A lot of choices with an omelet cooking station. You can also order a la carte from the menu.

Room: Needless to say, the room had the most breathtaking view. It was big, cozy and very clean. The only complaint I have would be the smell. There seems to be some sort of odor in the room but it wasn't that noticeable.

Spa: I had a message at the hotel. I think my message therapist was Caroline. She was very sweet and was very strong for such a tiny girl. She really knew what she was doing.

Other:If there is one thing you have got to do while you are here, it would be to watch the sunset by the fire pits. In summer, I think the sun sets at around 8pm. There is no words to describe it. The way the sun just sinks into the sea. I have never seen a sunset like this before. A MUST SEE!
My favorite part of the hotel is the courtyard with the fire pits. The fire-pit is open to the public and can get a bit busy during the weekend. For us, it was a lot of fun talking to the locals and visitors a like. There were also many honeymooners there. I think it's a lot quieter during the week. And if you really don't like the crowds, you can also get rooms with your own fireplaces in your private courtyard, perfect for couples!
There is also a 6 mile flat land hike you can go on. I didn't go on myself it but my mom did. And she loved it!

Overall, it was truly an amazing stay. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: get the courtyard room with the fire pit or room facing the water
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
#6 of 227 in San Francisco
Harbor View Inn
#8 of 8 in Half Moon Bay

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!