“Go for a terrace fire pit room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Miami
“Go for a terrace fire pit room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

We spent two days here to unwind from a stressful month. The terrace fire pit room was the perfect antidote for relaxation. Our room was comfortable and had every amenity desired. I had a good experience at the salon, and the mixologist at the bar was exceptional. The location is gorgeous and the hotel exterior blends seamlessly into the ocean bluff setting. The food service (quality of food/over priced) was not to our liking, but there were plenty of good restaurants and cafes in town to keep us satisfied. Most of the staff were outstanding, although no one returned messages left on answering machines when no one answered. There is a long trail for walking along the bluff which is easy and has incredible views of the ocean.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pucgal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

First, when you book here you must know that its $45 a day to park! Insane since your in the middle of nowhere! With the cost of the rooms being what they are, I should not have been surprised! If you stay in a cottage room, parking is free. Downside, in the wind, walking from there to the hotel can be a bit of a pain. But should you need some motivation, at check-in, they give you a glass of wine!

My wife and I stayed for a few night during our honeymoon trip to wine country. On a suggestion from a friend we decided to stay outside of San Francisco and we are glad we did! Half Moon Bay is one of the most amazing places I have been to in my life. The views from this hotel will have you wanting to sit and stare for hours. The golf course is pretty, the ocean is amazing, and there are fire pits overlooking the ocean!

We booked a cottage room, hoping to save the $45 a day for parking and were happily upgraded to a room in the main building because of a convention. They also took care of parking for me when I mentioned the high price compared to the cottage building. The staff from the moment we pulled up until the moment we departed were amazing! They truly lived up to the Ritz standard.

We had a late lunch/early dinner at the casual restaurant right off the lobby. The menu is horrible -- as in it has almost nothing on it and none of it will wow you. We ordered what we thought was safe, a simple pasta dish and a chicken caesar salad for my wife. Her salad was pathetic for any restaurant, let alone the Ritz! We fussed about it to the server and management and they quickly got my wife something else, but at the end of the day, the food was overpriced and not at all decent. We had dinner planned the next night at Navio, the restaurant in the hotel, but after a crappy meal and a pushy restaurant manager who oversaw both outlets, we decided to check with the bellhop who helped us earlier with our luggage where he would go. THANK YOU TO HIM! We took his advice for both lunch and dinner the next day and had a blast! We went to the downtown Half Moon Bay (literally two, maybe three streets) and had a great lunch out on the deck behind the San Bonito House. They had a sandwich counter that makes its own bread! For dinner we went to Pasta Moon! Fresh pasta, great bread, great servers! We loved it and would recommend it to everyone! Downtown Half Moon Bay also has a great wine and cheese shop and some cute stores. Thankfully they also have a Bank of America and a Safeway should you need a big box store.

The hotel does some really cool things too! They have a collection of DVD's at the front desk that you can use in your room's DVD player. We did that one night and had a movie night in that included some wine and snacks. The second night we got the s'more kit from the hotel (included on our Wine and Fire package) to use on our personal fire pit. It was great. We had s'mores, Twomey Merlot (the featured wine of the month at the hotel), and watched the sunset over Half Moon Bay. It was one of the best memories of our honeymoon!

In the end, we would come back again! The hike down to the beach, the view, the amazing service and the cute town will have us back for another trip in the future. Its not far from the airport and the mountains on one side and the ocean on the other will leave you in awe the entire time.

Room Tip: Get a room with a fire pit and ocean view!
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank CineBrent
calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

I think the hotel was at capacity with a big convention...so I think we picked a bad time to visit...It was our anniversary..and no notice was taken...we got a lower category room than what we paid for...and they were totally booked...it was in the guest houses..so not in the main hotel...our greeting upon arrival was very nice...but check in service was lacking..and she never let us know we were in the guest houses...we spent about half an hour trying to find our room...then when I complained..they all of a sudden had a room come available in main hotel...(we were already to our room in guest houses by now) we started packing the bag back up, she called back and the room wasn't available anymore...
We had dinner in the conservatory lounge with great view...had a great meal...except for a think a few of the oysters were bad...
We sat by the firepit after dinner which was so cozy, and romantic...
It is a very beautiful hotel and the grounds are stunning...I filled out the ritz survery that was sent...and got an immediate apology from the manager..which is very classy...
We will likely try the hotel again...I do think it was just a very busy night for the hotel...

2 Thank warrenb2
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

My husband & I decided to splash out for a night seeing as we were both out of town with no kids. It was a beautiful setting and the service was impeccable. We got some kind of romance package with wine, s'mores kits and rose petal turn down. The wine was a really good one and the s'mores whilst gimmicky were fun. The room wasn't huge butbit was definitely comfortable.
We took advantage of the bikes and had a great ride with amazing scenery before dinner.
We ate at the restaurant which was expectedly pricey. The food was mediocre but the ambiance & service made up for it.
All in all a lovely break and I would definitely recommend it

• Stayed May 2011
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

excellent hotel. friendly staff. we had an ocean front suite with awesome view of pacific ocean. still i would say that the hotel was a bit pricey

Room Tip: ocean front room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

My wife and I escape to this hotel once a year for some R&R from life and our kids. We always get the firepit terrace rooms so we can enjoy a bottle of wine and the view. It was my wifes b-day and they sent a smoors kit. They lost our luggage for about 30 min as we trasitioned rooms. The bellman sent a bottle of Silver Oak for our troubles. Top of the line every time.
See you in a year HMB Ritz

Fairfield CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

My husband and I travel a lot and all over the world. Sometimes we splurge, sometimes not.
We stayed at this property once last year, but only for a quick night, so we were unable to enjoy as much as we did this time.
We were traveling with our 8 year old son, and twelve year old daughter. I redeemed some Am Ex platinum member points for the kids room and we sprang for ours. I feel for the service and level of hotel it is a pretty good value. We had 2 courtyard view rooms with connecting doors. I loved it, because I felt like I was still able to have some luxury and privacy, but the kids were safe and sound next door.
When we checked in we were dog tired after traveling from the East Coast on connecting flights and from waking up at 2am. The lady at the front desk was highly efficient, but somewhat cold and non welcoming. Luckily, every other person we came in contact with at the hotel was superb. The staff had great attention to detail, relaxed personal service, very very good. The only other hotel I can compare it to in terms of service is the 4 Seasons in Toronto, which is fabulous and hard to beat. I have forgotten that when you get service this good, it truly allows you to relax, because you know that everything will be taken care of, and taken care of well.
Back to check in, we were told our room wasn't ready ( it was 3pm ) , but when we asked if there was another room ready since we were so tired, she did change us right away, which we were grateful for. We had a wonderful lunch, served by the funny and nice Kim, and then I went to the spa to enjoy a fantastic massage from Lauren. Heaven!
Both nights we ended up with room service, and it was very good.
I believe the bathrooms to be some of the nicest I've stayed in. Just beautiful marble, deep bathtub, separate glass shower and squeaky clean.
I feel the pool area lets down the resort a bit. It is an inside pool with retractable roof, and while my kids thought it was great, I felt it was a bit grotty. I think it needs some sprucing up to be at the level of the rest of the resort. If you have stayed at Le Meridien in London, or the Observatory in Sydney you'll get it. That's what a pool in a 5 star resort should be!
However the tennis club is great.
I highly recommend the Ritz at Half Moon Bay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
#6 of 236 in San Francisco
4.5 of 5 stars 498 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!