“New Owners - new hope on the Coast”

Asian King's Kitchen
Ranked #48 of 101 Restaurants in Half Moon Bay
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: N/a
Description: N/a
Reviewed January 28, 2013

After years of knowing this restaurant was only mediocre - we saw the sign about new owners -- and gave them a call. Yes, indeed, new owners. We tried lunch - it was certainly an improvement from previous owners. We will give it another couple of chances to please - and hope they succeed.

As for the other two local Chinese restaurants - China House at Stone Pine and Gin Wah just south of Asian King -- pass them up!! We gave both of them a chance in the same week as Asian King - China House: both dishes tasted the same, hot/salt and no other flavor. Both of us had stomach distress later in the day. Gin Wah - the nasty lady is still there.

There is a new take-out Chinese place in Strawflower shopping center - China Kitchen - quite good. See review.

1  Thank patiD

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We go mostly for lunch but although the restaurant is always empty the food is great and the service if friendly. Get the Hot and Sour soup. Great value.

1  Thank BrianXRF
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I hate to say anything is typical, but I suppose this is your "typical" Chinese restaurant, though with an impressive menu selection. Food was actually better than we expected -- and we took our leftovers with us, which is a bit unusual for a road trip.

Service was very quick -- and almost too efficient -- we were in-and-out in 1/2 hour. I think most of their patrons are delivery, so the dining experience isn't emphasized. Still, for a walking-distance-to-our-hotel place, we'd go again.

1  Thank David G
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My son and I decided we wanted Chinese food around the Christmas holidays - we hadn't gone to Asian King's for some time, so we decided to try it again. Our former visits weren't bad, however they weren't really good either - but we wanted to give them a chance.

Unfortunately we need to take this list off of our possibilities in Half Moon Bay. We were seated in the dining room and we placed our order for three entrees plus rice and tea. I believe the owner was the person who waited on us, and when I specified our entrees I asked him to please not have any celery in the dishes because I don't like cooked celery.

Here are the negatives:

1) I found an eyelash in my food
2) There was celery galore in one of my dishes
3) The service was just terrible - I had to get up twice to ask for beverages and for our check.

I believe they were unexpectedly busy and short-handed - but this was the last straw. I think they did well when they first opened, but service and food quality have gone downhill since then. It's a shame, because HMB really doesn't have a good Chinese take-out place. I'm afraid I can't recommend them. and I really wish the owner would read the reviews and try to make improvements.

Reviewed December 9, 2011

Oh my goodness - we got a flier advertising delivery on the Coast and decided to give it a try one of those nights you just can't get it together. I know the place is Chinese food, but really, they need someone to answer the phone who can understand English well! The order was almost right, but not hot anymore, and although we gave them a credit card over the phone, the delivery driver demanded cash for the order, saying they didn't take credit cards for delivery. Huh??? We were not double-charged, but it was a major hassle, nonetheless, and the food was just ok.