“Not for Everyone”
Review of San Benito House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Half Moon Bay
San Benito House
Ranked #8 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
Oakland, California
“Not for Everyone”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We just came from a weekend getaway at the San Benito House on a groupon special. My husband and I had trouble booking a weekend to use the groupon before it expired, so we ended up downgrading to a room without a bath (it was that or lose the deal I'd already purchased).

While we had a blast, I would definitely hesitate to recommend this hotel to just anyone. It is LOUD. Unless you plan to be right in the middle of the raucous action downstairs in the bar (as we were), you're going to be quite miserable with the level of noise. As another reviewer mentioned, it's a pub with rooms. We enjoyed ourselves in that situation, but we went there with the intention of joining the party.

We were in room 6 which is one furthest from the bar, but it was still really loud late into the evening. The room was also pretty tiny, with not much room to maneuver around. The bathroom down the hall for those rooms without is clean and separated into two rooms (toilet and shower). There are only 3 rooms of 12 that share the bath in the hall, which isn't bad. You can also run downstairs to use the bar bathrooms if need be. The shower was comfortable with good water pressure and plenty of hot water, clean.

All in all, we had a good time staying here and being right upstairs from the party. Plan a visit with the caveat that you are heading for a boisterous place!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
CA
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I agree with the other reviewers' comments about noise. Unfortunately, the quiet rooms aren't that much quieter. Check-in at the bar went smoothly and the room was clean. Parking was not difficult - there was plenty of street parking even on a Saturday night. The bathtub in the bathroom was fun. Sadly, the music was loud and lasted late. The worst part for me was that the beds were old - it was like sleeping in a bowl. I couldn't get comfortable. If they changed the beds, we would go back but otherwise no. It would not have been worth it without the half-off Groupon.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelona
Reviewed November 21, 2011

After browsing through some reviews we decided this was the place of our choice. It turned out to be a bar that happens to have some rooms...
We had a room with bathroom, which might not have been the smartest decision if it would have been busy, there is only one toilet and one shower for 9 rooms...
Our room was very, very noisy.
In the morning, breakfast was gone before it was supposed to be gone... The waiter served us, but didn't seem all that pleased about it.
I wouldn't really recommend this place to people.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank SIrLancelotBCN

Travelers are raving about these Half Moon Bay hotels

San Francisco
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I'm hijacking another reviewers title , because I completely agree. It was not your usual hotel stay, but it was fun. We, too, have been to HMB often, but live too close and never stayed over night. I wish I would have known about the Groupon, but our price was reasonable at $129 a night.f we shared a bath it would have been $99. I also had heard about the noise from the bar. We were in room 7 and heard it, but had no trouble ignoring it. The pub was always busy. The Deli, too. You check in at the bar and up a long staircase to the rooms, past a lot of history on the walls. The room took you back to a turn of the century boarding house.There was no TV and a tub, no shower. Very clean and comfortable beds. Parking was awkward, but no big deal. If you want a mini-fridge and a plasma TV, this is not for you. But we had a good time, and the San Benito was the kind of place where you could. Nice breakfast.They had a bit of trouble keeping it stocked and the coffee full. If I had anything to suggest, it would be to put a couple decent chairs in the room. One little wooden chair wasn't enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room 4, 5, 6. If they say they do not allow dogs, call back, and the next person...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SayGoWeGo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We recently drove the 35 miles from San Fancisco to Half Moon Bay to celebrate our 45th anniversary. We go there often for lunch but decided to "hang out" at leisure for 2 nights. We had a 2-for Groupon for the San Benito House, and we'd read quite a few local reviews about its lively/noisy activity on weekends. This is true, but they do furnish earplugs and being prepared for it, worked out just fine.They don't have TV, so if you go and don't partake of the nightlife, bring reading material.

The rooms are small, clean, and basically furnished in period style (Victorian), and the en suite bath had all the necessaries...a tub with hand-held shower, plenty of hot water, nice white towels and a very comfortable bed. The staff in the Saloon are terrific. Pleasant, attentive and add to the ambiance of the experience. The food is very good pub-style food, reasonably priced. Their Deli has superb sandwiches...there have been many reviews about them.

We thoroughly enjoyed this stay. Though simple and quite inexpensive, it helped up to enjoy our special occasion.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 4, 5, 6. Furthest away from the night life downstairs.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mama's cat
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My wife and I are separated, and I wanted to take my teenagers somewhere special for the few weeks in summer that I had custody of them. I settled on getting us all some rooms at San Benito House. I was initially worried about how kids would like a place like Half Moon Bay but they had a blast hanging out at the beach and relaxing at the Inn.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here while attending a wedding at the golf course nearby. It was charming, the bar/restaurant downstairs was nice, and they were pretty chill about letting us check in early to shower before the wedding. I would totally stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple