“Great value, great service”

Comfort Inn Half Moon Bay
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
mosqer
“Great value, great service”
Reviewed June 16, 2009

When I called, I asked if the inn was on the highway, and hearing that it was, I asked if I could have a room on the top floor in the back, away from the highway. The innkeeper was very accommodating and even avoided giving me a room that she didn't like!

The check-in, room, check-out were all smooth.

Note for you sensitive types, there is a foghorn that goes off regularly and I'd imagine you'd hear it more clearly in the back of the hotel since you're facing the ocean back there.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed April 9, 2009

I'm traveling up the Coast and decided to stay south of SF. Looked on line for a hotel in Half Moon Bay, drove by 3 of them as they all were rated about the same. Comfort Inn looked the most appealing and the rooms did not face the freeway. Was cheerfully greeted at the front desk by Diana, very friendly, she also gave me suggestions for dinner. She gave me a great room #107. Parking was close to my room, when I opened the door, was surprised and happy as I chose this hotel. The room was like a mini suite, sofa, king size bed, microwave and fridge. Plus got a great rate with my AAA card.

I will stay here again if I come by here again

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 23, 2009

my family and I enjoyed a lovely stay at this hotel. We enjoyed the room we were in, which was very comfortable, and the pleasant staff made our stay even more enjoyable. We'll keep this place in mind the next time we're in town.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
San Jose, California
Reviewed December 1, 2008

My boyfriend and I live about 45 minutes away from Half Moon Bay. We had dinner locally and checked out this Comfort Inn, which is on the main road running through town (a highway, I think), to see if it was cheap enough to justify a Sunday night away from home. It was. (It helped that it was already about 8 pm.) We were offered a rate a bit under the online AAA rate. I thought they should've done better, but I do love getting away for the night.

We got a room that didn't face the highway. Room 15 is next to a stairwell, but noise wasn't a problem because so few people were at the motel. The room has a fridge and microwave. The through-the-wall HVAC unit is a little noisy but nothing out of the ordinary for a place like this. The shower head water pressure, on the other hand, was deplorable. It took a long time to wash my hair the next morning. Plus the bathroom fan did not keep the mirrors fog-free. On the plus side, there's a swing-arm mirror on the wall near the sink. This really helped while doing makeup.

The blackout curtains closed all the way shut, without my having to clip them together. That's the first time that's ever happened for me at any hotel. And the coffee packets to use in the in-room coffee maker were free. I only mention this because a few nights ago, at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco, I would've had to pay for coffee packets!

The surprisingly large room had a king bed, nightstands, desk, chair, armoire with tv, and a coffee table in front of a small sofa. There was also a desk-type thing near the door to house the fridge and micro. In the morning my bf got coffee and yogurts for us at the free continental breakfast. The yogurts were Dannon Natural, which, unlike most free breakfast yogurts, tasted good.

Overall this was an excellent value. I'm not sure if it would be as enjoyable if the hotel were full, with people stomping up and down the stairs. On a less than busy night, however, I think this place is fine.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Shower water pressure
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reston,Virginia
Reviewed September 15, 2008

We stayed in handicapped room #118 for 6 nights and were quite satisfied. The room was fresh and clean and quite suitable for our special needs with handicapped parking only a few feet from our front door. Everything works, including the internet services. (However. my wife had some difficulty getting into the bed because it is a bit high off the floor).

The staff is well trained and responsive. Management is excellent. The breakfast set-up is spotless and fresh, if not fancy. The ambiance is straight Comfort Inn, but the price is right and the location along our favorite part of Coast-Side San Mateo County is super: fun walks on both sides along the coast. Also, the dining in the area is excellent.

We expect to continue staying here on our semi-annual visits to the area (to see family & friends) and recommend it for seniors, particularly, although we saw a number of young people here as well.

• Liked — Clean & well managed
  • Disliked — Beds may be too high for some
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
Reviewed July 29, 2008

There is positively no ambience at this hotel, but that is not to say that it was not an enjoyable overnight experience. Breakfast was very nice, however only a minimum of places to sit. The breakfast service is right in the front lobby. I would stay here again. Price was good.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Breakfast room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Haystar
San Jose, CA
Reviewed June 13, 2008

We found a deal online for the suite which was the same price as a regular room. Called the reservation line for the property and they confirmed that it was a suite. Expected a living room and bedroom, but there was also a full kitchen and a washer and dryer. We didn't need it for the one night, but would be great for a longer stay.

Maintenance was working on the thermostat when we arrived and, when I went to turn the heat on in the evening (after the workmen had left for the day), it didn't work. Reported it to the office and we were given a $50 credit when we checked out.

The remodel some of the previous post mention must be completed, because our room was lovely with a comfortable bed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple