“A Wonderful Surprise”

Ranked #1 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
Oakland, California
“A Wonderful Surprise”
Reviewed May 4, 2010

We elected to travel to Half Moon Bay for a mini vacation and chose the Cypress Inn on Miramar Beach. We were excited to discover that it was a bed & breakfast property and greatly enjoyed our expected 2-night stay. When it came time to check out, we decided we just couldn't leave and had to stay one more day. The management was glad to accomodate us and we enjoyed a final night's stay at the Inn.

I would highly recommend this property to anyone who wants to stay right at the ocean and just one block away from the famous Miramar Beach Restaurant.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We recently took a trip to coastal CA. This was by far the best place we stayed along the coast. Great service, view, and location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Staff was friendly, room and view of the ocean 50 feet away was great. slept with the door open and hearing the soothing waves was perfect. The bed was a queen and felt like we were sleeping on a board. sheets were clean and comfortable. The two hours of wine and appetizers were great followed by. a nice desert. breakfast was hot and filling. I would stay there again knowing that i may not have a plush bed..

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Spencerport, NY
Reviewed March 28, 2010

This was our 4th trip to the Cypress Inn, we can't wait to back as soon as possible. The friendly atmosphere that greets you as you enter the Inn is you 1st clue you are in the right place. The view of the ocean, the relaxing & comfortable rooms, and the quietness lets you sleep in comfort without a worry. Sometimes my husband & I have come alone, or we take family or friends to enjoy the experience with us, they all have loved their stay @ the inn. We have not been back in over a year, we are happy to say our stay was as wonderful as the 1st time! Make sure you arrive in time for sunset, wine & wonderful appretizers and relax before dinner. The inn keepers always have great suggestions for dinner. They have hot coffee, tea or cocoa and a treat before you go to bed. The next morning you can eat in you room if you like, they will deliver wonderful breakfast that will start you day with a contended smile on your face. We like to take a walk, or run along the path next to ocean, great view. 1 Mile down the road you can go and watch the crab boats come in.We have found the staff is always so friendly and ready to help with any need or question you might have.
The only regret we have about the inn, is when it is time to leave!!!
Emma Spencerport, NY

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
St. Louis
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I stayed at the Cypress Inn with my husband and toddler son, and everything was perfect. We stayed in the Maverick Room - great view of the ocean off the patio and a very spacious room. The staff was friendly and helpful, breakfasts were fantastic (AND delivered to our room!), and the evening wine & dessert was a great way to end the day. We were able to use Half Moon Bay as our base to explore San Francisco, the redwood forests, and the great beaches off of Highway 1. I highly recommend & definitely will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank artmama
North Richland Hills, Texas
Reviewed March 5, 2010

For those of you who are trying to find a place for relaxation, beautiful surroundings, and outstanding customer service, then you need to visit Cypress Inn on Miramar Beach. This was our third visit (Beach House twice) to Cypress Inn to celebrate my 49th birthday and I will not forget this superb memory. I loved every moment spent at Cypress Inn! My husband, Jake and I stayed for three nights in the main house, Las Nubes room (3rd floor suite) with amazing views of the Pacific Ocean. Cypress Inn is located directly in front of the Pacific Ocean and there are no noise distractions of cars driving back and forth as there are with other Inns located in this area (there is a road in front of Cypress Inn but only for access for the two houses noted to the left of the Las Nubes pvt. deck). The Innkeepers were truly amazing (Gail, Isaac, Kevin and Reg), very helpful, friendly and esp. made you feel most welcome during your visit, whatever you needed, the Innkeepers were there to help you (WITH A SMILE TOO)! The suite/bathroom was beautiful, VERY clean and everything you could need during your time away from home: queen featherbed, gas fireplace, free WiFi access/great reception, a HUGE two person jacuzzi tub (air jets), small refrigerator, coffee maker, flat screen tv, wonderful yummy gourmet breakfasts each morning (french toast, eggs benedict, etc) delivered to our room (or you can visit the main house lobby breakfast set-up), excellent evening wine/appetizers/desserts/coffee set-up each night. My husband and I travel a lot, and we usually stay at higher end hotels (Four Seasons, etc) and Cypress Inn did not disappoint us at all. In fact, we cannot wait to go back again. I am very, very particular on where I stay when traveling, in part because I am a Nurse Practitioner and I know germs, hence Cypress Inn met ALL my requirements for a beautiful and clean Inn. During our three day visit at Cypress Inn, my husband played golf all day while I enjoyed reading and the spa tub, next day we walked on the beach hunting for treasure. We visited restaurants Mezza Luna and Miramar Beach -- both excellent. Cypress Inn is about 30-40 minutes from SFO airport. One of many things I missed now that I am back in Texas is falling asleep to the ocean waves a night. Just Heavenly! Sincerely, Judy

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judy_scott_2004
New York, NY
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I usually don't like to write reviews about hotels but I felt it was my duty to tell everyone about my experience. My partner and I spent 3 wonderful nights at the Beach House Hotel a mile away and was so spoiled that we were wholeheartedly expecting the same treatment when we went to the Cypress Inn. Boy were we surprised! I reserved the Dunes Beach room in the Beach House, which is next door to the main house. The Beach House has four bedrooms on the second floor. When we walked in, my first thought was that the furniture looks really old. The chair cushions and draperies were pink and had seashells on them and they were yellow and dirty-looking. On closer inspection, everything seems a little bit dirty. Because I had already paid for the first night, I had no choice but to stay there but we made another reservation for the Beach House hotel the second night. During the night, we noticed a few things that were a bit disturbing. I lay down in the middle of the bed (I had reserved a king sized bed) and noticed that I was sinking. After I got up, I noticed a crack in the sheets right down the middle. After my partner told me to lift up the sheets, we noticed that we were sleeping on TWO TWIN BEDS pushed together. Now that in itself was enough to make us want to leave. I was getting ready to go to bed when I noticed two bloodstains on the pillowcase. I was so grossed out I wanted to complain but it was 3am and no one was at the front desk so I just switched the pillowcase. We used the whirlpool tub but it was old and seemed run down. I think the biggest turn off was when I went to use the blow dryer and it was really, really greasy. Not just the handle, but the whole thing was greasy. Needless to say, I will never go back to that inn ever again. I paid $229 plus tax, which came out to $251. For that price, I could have had a much nicer time at the Beach House or even the Oceano Hotel, which is cheaper than both (I ended up staying there as well). Either way, I highly recommend not staying at this inn, as it is so not worth the price you will pay for it. Probably the only good thing about the hotel was the innkeeper was nice.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Sandy22579
InnsbytheSea, Marketing Manager at Cypress Inn on Miramar Beach, responded to this review, March 18, 2010
We sincerely apologize to this guest for the inadequate accommodations and poor service they received during their stay. We take all comments concerning a less-than-perfect performance very seriously and have addressed each of the conditions mentioned with the management and staff.

The bed configuration in this room type is adjustable for two twin beds or a single king bed. In this case, it appears we failed to properly assemble the device which would normally make the two beds together indistinguishable from a single king bed. Unfortunately, because this was not brought to our attention until after the guest departed, we were unable to correct the problem during the guest’s stay.

The guest comments also indicated there appeared to be blood on the pillowcase. While we cannot verify this was indeed a blood stain, we can assure readers and the guest that all bedding is laundered to the highest commercial standards. Again, had this been brought to our attention, we would have replaced the pillowcases immediately and removed them from inventory. As for the greasy hairdryer, this has been replaced, and we apologize for the oversight.

We disagree with the characterization that everything is old and dirty looking. We are pleased to report that we have completed the first stage of room improvements over the past year. All new doors and windows have been installed along with new draperies and carpets in many of the guest rooms. Additionally, we have just completed remodeling four rooms with entirely new furnishings and fabrics and hope to have the rest of the property completed in the next year. While there is much work ahead, we hope that our customers will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our premier location, comfortable accommodations and gracious hospitality.

Again, we apologize for the experiences of this guest, and we only wish these issues had been brought to our attention while we could have corrected these oversights.

Guest Relations