“A Good Retreat”

Cypress Inn on Miramar Beach
Ranked #1 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife and I just celebrated our 10 Wedding Anniversary here at Cypress Inn. We had a great time. Things you need to know:

I think there are roughly 18 rooms broken down to 3 buildings.

Look for the deals if you are planning to come to Half Moon Bay. Mid week is usually cheaper. AAA discount, and what have you if you got it! My wife found an on line coupon the day before we checked in and they honored it! $20 off I believe- a definite plus!

Come here for romance: I saw two couples bring their kid(s) but they are definitely the minority! Rekindle the romance- leave the kids at grandmas!!! Most couples/ guests here were 35 and older.

Each room is individualized, and are priced accordingly. The ones with the ocean view cost more- obviously! We stayed at the Pigeon Point Room with a killer view: I could literally throw a ball into the ocean! And if you want to hear the waves crashing along the shores while you sleep, this is the place to be. And a definite plus, unlike some of the other hotels, etc. further north, I couldn't hear the foghorn when I close the door! Last year we stayed near the harbor and needed ear plugs just to sleep!

THIS room was a good sized. We peeked through the rooms on the main building ground floor: they are smaller and "too close" to the lobby by comparison. You wouldn't be able to sleep in I bet! Breakfast starts at 8 and lasts until 10 AM and you wouldn't be able to keep the noise out I think!

The Pigeon Point room is right across the street from the lobby on the ground floor. Reg was the name of the innkeeper in the evenings and he was nice enough to show us all the features in our room!

Our room had one of those jet tubs. It is a nice plus. Although we noticed that our neighbors must have turned theirs on at 9:40 ish in the evening: it is noisy, so if you have one in your room, be sure you run the thing before bedtime! They must have got sick of theirs after about 10-15 minutes- because they turned it off promptly! After about 10 minutes of using it myself, my leg started to feel numb from the jets! But the thing sets the mood!

Our room was clean and well furnished. It has one of those tiny square mini fridges with two 8 oz water bottles for your use! It even has a Keurig Machine in the bathroom: although you wouldn't need it: the lobby has hot water, decaf and regular literally "all day!" and it is decent to good coffee too. I actually liked the decaf a little better. I heard some reviews state the wine was cheap stuff: I don't drink enough to know, I had a glass upon check in: tasted fine to me- but like I said, I'm no expert. They do have appetizers from 5 to 7 PM, the cheese and crackers are decent. They also have dessert at 7 PM onward: we had cookies one night and some sort of an apple cobbler I believe the next- washed it down with decaf before bedtime! I wish I took photos: the breakfast was yum. Made to order:Blueberry pancakes (frozen blueberries- but still good) the first morning and poached eggs over spinach and crab/muffin the next. The rest (self serve) are bagels (average), croissants (good), sausages(good) and fresh fruit salad (very good) as well as morning smoothie (good), granola (decent-good), Cheerios? and 2% milk (soy available upon request!) and yogurt (Dannon Light) I don't like the light stuff: artificial sugar pass! Instant Nestle Hot cocoa: wife loved

They have these trays so you can take the food to your room! Major plus.

The lobby closes at 9 PM but they give you a key if you need to go to the main building/lobby after that! Lobby has cool relaxing music, sets the ambiance along with the woodsy decor!

Our room had a 45 inch flat screen I believe: as well as an old circa 2000 TV/VCR combo (we know because we used to have the same model I believe!) The flat screen (it has a swivel mount so you can turn it too!):you could see from your King sized bed- very comfy with nice bedding and pillows! The old TV you need to be sitting on the couch. These are opposite each other. I like the flat screen, good size: and they have Direct TV: good and bad: bad because I didn't know how to use the darn thing, although it does have a tutorial on channel 1 and good because it has a ton of channels! The remote I got was a semi dud though, I needed to be literally 3 feet from the TV to change the channels! They have HBO galore as well as a bunch of others- of course you came for your significant other, not the TV! They have a guide next to the bed to help you navigate.

Speaking of tech: they have one of those IHome alarm clock/radio/Ipod docs: I had my I pod with me with Kenny G so we got the mood right! It is the 30 Pin so it won't work on the newer I pod/phone unless you have an adapter! They also had another stereo device on the other night stand: don't have a clue how to use that though: it has a sticker stating it was meant for Ipod but I saw not plug for it! both have remotes

Oh and Wi Fi works and is of decent speed: no complaints at all: if you've read some of my other reviews: I gripe about how some major hotel chains make you sign in for each device each day you are there and it is super slow: not here: they have a password and sign in, but I didn't even need it. I just picked cypress inn on the list and presto: it works and stayed working: I didn't even need to sign my life away!!! Watched Netflix on my IPAD: speed is fine!

It is a short walk to the beach, although my wife says that the direct route via old wooden stairway looks iffy, so you may want to go either left or right a few hundred yards to a more stable slope before you descend!

Parking is available near the rooms, although they are narrow: I actually parked on the street the second day so I don't have to worry about fender benders!

About getting here: do look at their map: it is easy to overdrive. Coming from the South going northbound (HWY1): it is the street after Miramar Dr. Slow down and signal left as soon as you pass Miramar Dr. (it has a green sign on the side of the road). Medio is next: (but it doesn't have a next exit sign going Northbound) but don't worry: if you pass it, just go into Magellan (the next left) instead and turn left again onto Miranda once you hit the ocean!! Go 2 blocks and turn L into Medio (you have to, you can't go straight anymore (if you are in a car!). The "Cypress Inn" sign is on the corner!! If you didn't miss Medio, going north, then going straight on Medio until it hits a dead end (ocean!) and check in is on the left corner.

Coming from the North going south, Medio is after Magellan and oddly, it does have an exit sign. Turn right and go straight and its on the corner of Medio and the ocean! (lobby Left)

A little confusion: the address is on Miranda Road: on the corner of Miranda Road and Medio. All these "M" words!!! Miranda Road is in 2 segments: one that parallels the ocean/beach and one that is perpendicular (comes off of HWY1 going towards the ocean!) but the two segments don't connect. We turned into Miranda Road off HWY1 the first day until we found the dead end and no Cypress inn!

Oh and a little advice: if you are doing major walking/jogging, be sure to use sunscreen even on foggy days: the misses had a fog burn!

We definitely would recommend this place!

Room Tip: Ocean view cost more but is worth it I think. Our room is right next to the corner of the street so...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter L

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is a very lovely little Inn with delightfully cozy ocean front rooms. We felt so very lucky to come upon it through Tripadvisor. this location in Half Moon Bay is a quiet place which is exactly what we were looking for. If you are looking for intimate, sweet, spotlessly clean rooms with dreamy linens and wonderful mattresses and pillows - come here. The gas fireplace adds to the wonderful experience. Staff is welcoming and helpful with the "details" of these unique and special accommodations. When we were there, they had a lovely little "happy hour with an excellent artichoke dip, cheeses, vegetables and some very nice wines. In the morning there was a lovely breakfast spread that they would happily bring to your room if requested. We had strawberry french toast - very, very nice. The beach is quiet and lovely to walk. The Cypress Inn is a very special place and we cherished our time there. It may not have all the bells and whistles of impersonal bigger hotels but it had all the charm I was hoping for and more.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were in town for a friends wedding at Moss Beach and ended up at Cypress in with another friend of ours. I reccomend this place especially the Star, Moon and Sun rooms as they are great locations at the first level with full ocean view patios. The rooms are a bit small, took us a while to figure out where to put our suitcase and the only drawers are under the bed but otherwise it was great. We were in La Luna (the Moon) which has a standard bath, a king size bed (the headboard is a half wall to make hallway to the bathroom, the mini-hall is where we put our suitcase but didn'ty have any lighting there. Thre is a mini-desk, free wi-fi,a Keurig machine for coffee / tea in your room two relaxing chairs and then two tall chairs on the patio where we had morning coffee and evening wine. The bed , bedding, pillows are all WONDERFUL and we both slept very well.

Breakfast was very good, there is juice, cereal, yogurt, fruit, bread/bagle every morning and then a made to order item (the three mornings we were there they were blueberry pancakes, eggs benedict, then quiche) There is always coffee and tea available all day. The main door is locked at 9pm but you get a key to that so no problem coming home late from the reception.

Parking was easy, there was a restaurant in walking distance. There is not beach access right there, you have to got down a few blocks (closer if you can climb rocks better then I can) Lots of places to walk, lots of benches in the area. There is a massage therapist on staff, but she only has 2-3 sessions a day so be sure to sign up if you want a slot as they usually fill up the morning before.

Room Tip: I reccomend the Star, Sun, and Moon rooms
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2013

So was very encouraged by all reviews for this property & was excited to be able to get last minute sea facing suite.
The reception staff are delightful & very helpful, however the term" suite" is a little misleading as room was smaller than the business hotel room that I am now staying in, however the view was superb, even if balcony area is a little tight on space & the bath in front of the bed was an interesting touch & the afternoon snacks were appreciated.
However where the total let down occurred at breakfast, as the quality of food for such an establishment should have stood out, with a home cooked local produce meal, but wow PACKET mix hollandaise sauce for the egg Benedict, Plastic ham ( double an issue as no one had mentioned this and I do not eat meat!!) and a very soggy cold muffin.
This was served with a cold and poor quality croissant, no butter and a packet of grape jelly and lukewarm coffee. Thankfully the banana strawberry smoothie was drinkable, but was not freshly made. I left starving hungry.
Also the true sign of a wonderful property is not only how you deal with the good comments but how you deal with the not so good. So on checkout , I informed the receptionist / breakfast server (hopefully not the cook as well) of the breakfast issue to which another guest also conferred the same opinion re the eggs dish.
The only response was "I will tell the manager", no apology, no concern etc,
This property prices itself almost at the Ritz Carlton end of Half Moon Bay but delivers motel quality, so am very disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MazzAustralia
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at the Cypress Inn in Half Moon Bay the second week in February. The room we had, while smaller than an average hotel room, had a gorgeous view of the ocean - in fact, we left the sliding doors open all night just to hear the waves. That's how close we were. The wine reception was wonderful and we loved being able to walk right along the ocean to a place to eat & drink. We LOVED the breakfast served in our room, which we ate in our snuggly white robes while still admiring the ocean. And - as luck would have it - the weather was perfect and we were able to watch the most amazing sunset. I would absolutely go back if ever given the opportunity and would highly recommend. I only stayed once in the ocean view room on the second floor, so cannot comment on the others.

Room Tip: If there is one available, I would grab an oceanfront room! And do NOT miss the wine reception and b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have stayed at Cypress Inn twice now, and both times we were impressed with our accommodations and the incredible gourmet breakfasts served each morning. The staff is fantastic and they really do everything they can to make your visit the best it can be. We will be back!

Room Tip: If you want extra peace and quiet, consider a room in the Beach House, located behind the main build...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DiedrichDuo
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is billed as a B&B and I suppose technically it is as they do provide quite a good breakfast. The name has it right though, as it is more of a small inn than a typical antebellum type b&b.

We stayed in El Cielo with a view of the ocean. We got lucky when we were there as the skies were clear both days. The room seemed a bit small when we walked in, but after we opened the doors to the patio, parked ourselves on the chairs, turned on the fireplace, opened a bottle of wine, and turned on some jazz, size really didn't matter.

The sounds of the surf at night, smell of the ocean, and cool air provided the setting for the best sleep I have had in years. This was our first time staying in Half Moon Bay, but if there is a next time we will head back to this little inn.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with an ocean view. I understand there are a couple from which the ocean is...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple