“Must Stay at This Hotel !!”

Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Often visit the Half Moon Bay area and finally had the chance to stay at the new Oceano Hotel and Spa. The Hotel was beautiful and one of the best spas around. It's location is the best. Right on the Harbor and close to lots of restaurants and acticity. Has a quanit mall with great shops. You can eat there or lots of choices within a couple minutes of walking. My husband and I took a beautiful walk out to Mavericks and enjoyed the beautiful location so much. I have stayed at many places around the Half Moon Bay coastside and the Oceano is by far the best. Can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 14, 2010

My husband and I will stay again at the Oceano Hotel. We had excellent customner service, beautiful rooms and enjoyed the ocean view. We like San Francisco but prefer staying in a smaller town.

Reviewed June 11, 2010

I stayed at the Oceano last weekend and loved it. The service is great, location convenient and rooms are cleaned and well equipped. I received excellent support from the Service Manager on some difficult special needs. This was my first stay but won't be my last.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank AustinPickytraveler
Reviewed June 10, 2010

My wife and i spent our 28Th wedding anniversary at the beautiful Oceano Hotel and Spa, we stayed 3 nights and the room was so nice we didn't even want to leave, but we did LOL, nice large room with , up scale bath room with soaker tub , large granite shower. King size bed, wet bar and fire place in the sitting room private balcony with full view of the marina and the pacific ocean. We were surprised at how nice the entire staff are and the hotel it self were exceptional. I would also like to ad the Moss Beach Distillery for lunch, dinner or brunch, the food was very well prepared , and was very good, the restaurant sits on a bluff with excellent ocean views, and we were told the Distillery has its own " Ghost" ! We didn't see her. The Half Moon Bay Brewery is a good place as well for lunch or dinner, I hope this helps someone. James Hatten, Mokelumne Hill , Ca. PS, there are also two flat screen cable TV`s, One in the sitting room and one in an antique hutch for viewing from bed !

1  Thank Mrtrucker
Reviewed June 8, 2010

This was our first and last visit to Oceano. When we got there, we noticed they had a wedding in their wedding hall and the music was so loud that you could hear it in the room.

We stayed for one night, the next morning when we left, we forgot to take my wife's Theraputic pillow. I called their office and I was told they will check lost and found and they will get back to me. They never called back. I called them back the second time, again they told me they will check and call me the next day. They didn't call again. When I called them the third time, they told me they haven't seen the pillow. I even offered stopping by to pick it up. But they kept insisting they don't have the pillow as if the pillow just dissappeared from the room.

Overall, the hotel is clean, the view is not that great because you can barely see the ocean with the harbor blocking the view. Finding a parking spot was a hassel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Our daughter was married at Oceano the weekend of Memorial Day, and Nancy & Jen, the event planners, did everything they could to make the occasion memorable. Ken at the front desk was accommodating and pleasant at all times. The rooms are spacious, the beds wonderful, and even the weather cooperated.

One tiny peeve that prevents Oceano from being a five star stay: the water pressure in the shower was non-existent, a little trickle in fact; also, the shower was in the tub and became extremely slippery. This was a comment not only by us, but from other family members who were staying for the occasion. Some of our family & friends had separate walk in showers, which might have been safer.

A swimming pool would have made a big difference too.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I write this review from the Oceano where I am currently staying. It is 5am. My husband and I are here on a mini honeymoon; we are visiting a few spots along the coast. Earlier tonight, we had a wonderful meal at Cafe Gibralter in one of the booths in the back of the restaurant and are staying in Half Moon Bay for only a night. I highly recommend going there. (Have never tasted such a tender squid!)

We booked our reservation using the hotel site, and then promptly noticed that the Expedia rate was better than the rate we paid (it was $199, rather than the $249 without tax that we paid). At check in, they were unable to offer us the price difference -- we asked because we figured it couldn't hurt, without too much expectation that the better rater could be honored. We didn't press it, as it was our oversight. We consider this hotel stay a splurge. It is a special weekend getaway for us~ it's our "mini-moon"~ a weekend getaway trip before our real honeymoon in a few months. We don't normally spend ~$270 (including tax) a night on a hotel on weekend trips.

My spouse brought ear plugs to the hotel (he often packs them). He is asleep. I on the other hand am wide awake and unable to fall back asleep because of the incessant fog horn, which, as one review below states, happens every 8 seconds. The frequency sounds like an exaggeration but is not. Our room happens to be one of the rooms with vaulted ceilings (perhaps one of the features of our complimentary upgrade). The room we are in allows a significant amount of light to come in resulting in a somewhat bright rectangular box to appear on the wall right by the bed during the night. I am the kind of traveler that likes total blackout in rooms. Others may not mind not having blackout capability; I do. It is quite bright in the room already (it's 6am). Perhaps this is fine for early risers. On vacation I like to sleep later than that. I also like the option of napping in the afternoon too. This would probably be frustrating in this room, as it would be very bright. It's already pretty bright.

In reviewing the first few pages of the reviews for Hotel Oceano, I noticed that several reviewers are first time reviewers with their TripAdvisor accounts opened the day the review was written. Compare this to the reviewers for the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay, the second best rated hotel in Half Moon Bay on TripAdvisor, many of whom appear to be seasoned travelers with 20+ reviews per profile. I would caution other readers of reviews to keep this in mind. We chose Hotel Oceano without a serious consideration of the poor reviews. I noticed that management responded to a negative review that for "light sleepers" they offer ear plugs (and eye masks). I am not a "light sleeper." I am a very heavy sleeper and am not easily woken up. I was able to sleep for about 4 hours after a long day of driving to San Francisco from LA, and then woke up due to the foghorn sound. Even with ear plugs in I was able to hear the foghorn sound. I tried muffling my head under the pillow -- I still could hear the sound. Eye masks are a nice touch to have at the front desk--- I generally don't like the eye mask plasticky feeling when sleeping, but I probably would have grabbed one to at least have the option. I'm sure it would have helped...but I didn't know about this option until I read the TripAdvisor review. I think there should be a sign somewhere in the room to indicate they are available.

Having said all this, the hotel itself is a lovely property. When you walk into the lobby area, it is very pleasantly decorated. Parking was easy underneath the hotel. Our room has a fire place that can be turned on with a light switch (awesome!), there are two flat screen tvs in our room (one in the sitting area that looked like it had poor picture quality...another smaller one facing the bed which seemed like it had better picture quality). There are blinds that can be opened to the bathroom so that the bathtub/bathroom is visible in the room. The toilet is not in a separate, closed room within the bathroom. The bathroom is a good, comfortably/modestly luxurious size.

Rooms are clean, the little interaction we had with hotel staff has been pleasant, but I am grateful this is just a one-night stay. For the amount we paid (nearly $270 including tax), I expect more in terms of sleep quality. In the past year and a half or so, I haven't been writing any negative reviews of places I visit because the economy is so bad and I don't want to do negatively affect businesses, but I offer my review to the people who have that amount of money to spend but may not take the negative reviews seriously. Had I known, I would have spent my money elsewhere, such as really splurging for the Ritz (which we had strongly considered) or simply choosing another hotel. The internet/wireless was also a little slow earlier today (but hey, it's free!). As I write this, I am kicking my feet up on the coffee table. There are definitely thoughtful touches to the hotel which make it feel homey (such as a somewhat realistic looking plant on the coffee table) and it meets many expectations, except for sleep quality.

This isn't necessarily the hotel's fault, being near the marina with the loud foghorn, but the windows definitely aren't sound proof---and I think guests should have the option (at checkin) to be presented with the option of rooms with full black out or not, especially if it is not a busy night for the hotel. (Looks like from management's response from TripAdvisor that you can either have vaulted ceilings without blackout or regular ceilings with blackout. They also indicated that a guest had previously commented that they were lulled to sleep by the foghorn. I have never been lulled to sleep by something that sounds like an alarm before.)

We chose this hotel because of its positive TripAdvisor rating, its price point, but if I were able to do it over again, (and having visited at least the outside of the Ritz Carlton, where there is beach access), I would either splurge for the $150 dollars more to stay at the Ritz for a completely serene experience, spend the same at a property farther away from the fog sound. We visited the Ritz earlier tonight and it looked like a phenomenal experience. I would have preferred a hotel that was in a less convenient location but was completely quiet. I feel disappointed. I really wanted to like this hotel, and every thing about it, but the foghorn sound + lack of blackout capability, is lovely. It's 6am and I had no intention/desire of being awake at this time.

Perhaps offering small white noise machines could also help?

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
oceanohmb, General Manager at Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2010

Hello Hazelnutcake,

Please allow me to address the concerns and comments you wrote regarding your stay.

I wanted clarify that the Expedia rate does not differ in price from our website when comparing the same room types. Accordingly, our front desk was not able to offer you the Expedia rate that you requested because it was based on a different room type.

We appreciate your concern regarding comfort and needs, please be assured it’s our highest priority. It’s unusual to have anyone who has stayed with us write a review that compares us to a hotel that they regrettably did not visit.

With respect, your many comparisons of the Ritz Carlton are somewhat misleading. The difference in price between the two properties is well over the $150 rate comparison and this does not include their mandatory resort & parking fee, which makes the difference in cost much more than double the price you paid with us.

I’m pleased to advise that all of our rooms do in fact have complimentary ear plugs available in the nightstand. A note card explains this and also informs our guests without blackout capabilities, that eye masks are available upon request. Additionally, per your suggestion all of our rooms now offer our guests HoMedics Sound Spa, a white-noise relaxation sound machine with six calming sounds to help lighter sleepers relax and sleep through the night.

The sound of the foghorn is just as much a part of our unique coastal environment as the sand, seagulls, reef, whales and sea lions that surround and pass our marine location everyday

We strongly consider all feedback and are committed to providing a luxurious harbor front experience with top quality service at an affordable price.

J. Janoe