Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay
$849
RitzCarlton.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Beach House at Half Moon Bay(Half Moon Bay)(Great Value!)
$265
$200
Comfort Inn Half Moon Bay(Half Moon Bay)(Great Value!)
$149
$127
ComfortInn
Half Moon Bay Lodge(Half Moon Bay)(Great Value!)
$246
$219
Official Site
Harbor View Inn(Half Moon Bay)
$189
Coastside Inn(Half Moon Bay)
$159
$149
$139
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Fitness center
All reviewsfog horndeluxe king suiteunderground parkingwithin walking distancenice view of the harborsitting areahotel lobbyroom servicewet barsoaking tubel granadavaulted ceilingsprovide ear plugsbeautiful hotelbarbara's fish traplarge bathroomgas fireplace
Reviewed January 12, 2010

This hotel offers great service and delicious food. I loved the charming seaside decor and the generously sized rooms and bath. Our room had a private balcony, fireplace and large flat screen TV. Attached indoor shopping area was a nice surprise. Several really good restaurants were within walking distance. I really liked the covered parking and the fact that the hotel is environmentally friendly/green. This is a great get-a-way.

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Fabulous GREEN hotel!!! Gorgeous harbor views and just a short walk to the beach. There were lots of great restaurant options within walking distance.

Our room was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was HUGE with a separate shower and deep tub!!! I loved relaxing in front of the big flat screen TV and cozy fireplace.

The room service was quick and the food was great. We enjoyed having wine and cheese on the balcony overlooking the harbor.

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We were pleased with this hotel. The room they gave us was the very first room on the first floor right next to the lobby and bar. I wasn't crazy about this since it wasn't very quiet...but we didn't complain, when we probably could have. We came here for New Year's Eve and stayed one night. Besides the location of the room, the room itself was adorable. Beautifully decorated in a beachy theme...comfortable bed and very spacious. The shower head was terrible however, I highly recommend they change it.

The location of the hotel was perfect for what we had planned that night. It was within walking distance of our chosen dinner restaurant Mezzaluna and the bar Old Princeton Landing. Right on the harbor, it's not really considered on the ocean to me...but the view of the boats docked was very pretty.

We would come back to Half Moon Bay in a second. If we got a screaming deal at this hotel, we could come back...otherwise we might try a cheaper hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2009

I can't say enough about this hotel. Not only did they knock my socks off for my wedding, but they have actually become a part of marraige... a sort of home away from home for my husband and I. My hotel review covers both my wedding and my recent holiday weekend stays. So if you're looking for info on a hotel stay, scroll down. If your looking for the wedding review... read on.

In October of 2008, my husband and I were married at the Oceano. It was a dream of a wedding. I had to organize the entire thing from Fort Rucker, Alabama and I needed someone who could handle my organizing via email and awkward time zones. Amen for Nancy Nerhan.
When I went to just meet the hotel and meet with Nancy, I was taken by how gorgeous it was. The lobby is exactly what I had hoped for. The downstairs lounge was perfect for my guests. The rooms were ideal for my family. The staff was extraordinarily helpful. And it all came with Nancy, whom I should just call my wedding angel from now on. I knew before I left the hotel that this was where my wedding would be and that it was going to be dreamy. I was so right.
I quickly organized my vendors and made my big decisions and when the big day came... the best part was not having to worry about a single thing. Each of my vendors were greeted by helpful staff who was expecting them and knew what to do. There were no surprises and no mistakes. In fact, my vendors all complimented my hotel choice because of how much easier it made each of their jobs. I ended up with happy vendors, happy wedding party, happy relatives, a happy husband and a very happy bride. My wedding pictures prove it. If you are considering this hotel for your wedding, I can tell ya even more.

Now on a more recent and less formal note, my husband and I contacted the hotel over Thanksgiving weekend to see if they had any last minute rooms available. My husband is in the Army and is stationed overseas so our visits are more special than I can express. So what better place to reunite than the hotel we were married at. Once again, the Oceano warmed our hearts with hospitality. Not only was Nancy right there to greet us and make sure we were taken care of, but the staff recognized us from our wedding and were genuinely happy to have seen us. Every room in this hotel is lovely, so that part was easy. The bathrooms are beautiful and spacious. The bed is dreamy. The fireplace and living room area make you feel right at home. The views are so relaxing. Everything is clean and attractive. When we walked in, we had that cozy feeling of having finally come home. We enjoyed fantastic room service and walks on the harbor. The attached shopping mall, cafe and restaurant make it so we really didn't even need to leave.. which was exactly what we were looking for. We had lots of entertainment and eating options within a short pleasant walk. Needless to say, we had a wonderful stay the few nights we were able to spend together. I can't wait for the next reunion my husband and I get to spend there.
Thanks Oceano... and thanks Nancy!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I very seldom write reviews as I prefer to make verbal recommendations for exceptional places by bringing my friends for a return visit or alternatively simply say nothing and never patronize an establishment for its horrendous service, food, amenities as I find negativity too taxing. However, in this instance I find I should make an exception.

Recently, my friend was married at Oceano Hotel & Spa in Half Moon Bay, Ca. On what should have been a wonderfully traditional and delightful weekend, to say that the pieces were not quite falling into place merely puts it mildly. Specifically, services and amenities at Oceano were absolutely saddening and vexing. More anecdotal details to follow; the following lists every erroneous misstep:
room charges, while previously arranged with Oceano’s event manager, were charged to the wrong guests
group rates were not honored at check out
failure to greet guest upon arrival
specific details arranged with the event manager were neither followed nor fulfilled
room assignments were not met or misinformed
suites did not have full size closets
billing manager was not punctual with returning calls

Specifics:
Upon arrival, I was asked to provide a credit card at check-in. I reminded them that the rooms had already been paid for in advance as part of the bridal package, but since I did not have all the details; I told them that they have the bride’s credit card on file as we were sharing a suite and she had made all the prior arrangements with the event manager. They said they needed the card only for incidentals. They promised it was only for incidentals. A month later, I received a credit card statement, not only had they charged the room to me, they charged three rooms to me. The bride’s credit card was charged for two rooms while her sister in law was charged for one room. We had a total of six rooms that should have been all charged to the bride and only two were correctly charged. On the similar issue, the bride’s aunts and uncles were charged the full room rate although the rooms had been reserved for the entire party on a bulk/group rate, $100 less than the fare they paid at the end of the weekend. The uncles attempted to inform the front desk of the error and were informed that no agreement had been made for their rooms.

A week prior to the wedding, I had two conversations with the event manager. I requested to have welcome gifts left in the rooms of the bride’s mother and the bride’s sister, the matron of honor. The event manager said I can drop off the gifts anytime prior to their check-in, even the same day. I checked in with my gifts a few hours prior to their arrival. I labeled both baskets for their recipients and asked both the bellhop/doorman, who left me unacknowledged and standing outside for ten minutes after I pulled up, and the front desk agent to ensure that they let the event manager know that the gifts were there as I had been instructed to do. When the bride’s sister checked in three hours later, the basket was not in her room. I had to go to the front desk to fetch the basket myself and present it to her, which completely failed the purpose of a welcoming gift.

At the rehearsal, although the bride had previously informed the event manager of her wishes for the processional, the event manager insisted that the processional run her way. Attempts made by us to clarify or rearrange, were ignored. She lined up the processional using one criteria, height.

During all previous conversations, the event manager told us the room we were assigned to was 315. Thus all of our communications with vendors such as the photographer, hair/make-up artist and local family and friends were for room 315. When I checked in, we were assigned to another room on another floor.

The room’s closet was an armoire which held the television, the iron board and the in room safe. The actual closet space was two feet by twenty inches by sixty inches, needless to say, the bridal gown would not fit and the only option was an over the door hook that only fits over the bathroom door.

Finally, upon realization that I had been charged $1000 for that weekend for what should have only been ninety dollars, for the two glasses of wine at the bar and breakfast, I called the hotel twice and my call was returned four days later despite my pleas for an expedited handling of the situation.

In all fairness to the hotel, I realize that this potentially is a situation of a series of misunderstandings between the event manager and the facilities manager, the right hand not telling the left hand what is going on type of scenario. Furthermore, we were the second of three weddings booked from Friday evening into Saturday evening. Given that Oceano does not seem to belong to some large hotelier group, one would assume operationally their procedures would be more caring, boutique like, and familial, reasonably what any bride would want. I highly would not recommend Oceano to anyone whether planning an event or an overnight stay. They actually offered us free nights to make up for their errors, I am afraid that once I give my credit card again, who knows what “incidentals” might be charged. One other observation I made, the room they set aside for use by the bridal party before and after the ceremony had either been used the night before or immediately before, regardless, the room was filthy with food everywhere. If it were my white gown, I would be quite incensed.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends