“Beautiful Place”

Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is a really nice hotel. The rooms are as nice as they look with a fireplace and deep bathtub. They supply you with bath products from Aveda and even a cork screw for wine. Beds are firm but comfortable.

There is a fog horn that sounds every 15 seconds. I knew that going in and it did not bother me. It was not that loud and I was facing the bay. I did put a rain app on my iPad for sleep. But if you have issue with sounds you may want to choose another hotel.

The staff was fine but not overly friendly or helpful.

I did notice room service trays in the hallway overnight. It may just be that this hotel is not staffed well. Or perhaps not that busy because of the fog horn. I did not see any other guests while I was there.

I was happy with my stay, but as I said I knew about the fog horn going in.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 2dream2014

Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

We just spent the weekend there in one if their King Suites. Before we arrived we were assured that we would have a lovely view overlooking the harbor and bay. When we arrived we were shown to a lively suite that looked directly at the back of another building and the parking lot. When my husband called to complain he was told very abruptly that we got the last suite and no one would have mislead us but they'd knock $50 off the price. A lower price wasn't going to make up for the view. I have been ill for the last several months and had been looking forward to this more than I can say. After that abrupt response I called the front desk and complained again a bit more vociferously this time. I was put on hold for ten minutes before I was told they would get back to me. About ten minutes later they called to say they were moving us across the hall and that they'd be right up with the new keys. We went out into the hall and waited and waited and waited. Finally my husband just went down and they gave him the keys. No apology for not bringing them up.
The new room was just as nice and did overlook the harbor and the bay! From then on the weekend was lovely. It's a lovely hotel. It just seems a few of the staff need a refresher course in customer service!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank jsongbyrd
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

I love staying in boutique hotels. I love the decor and I love the personal touches and attention from the staff. Such was not the case at Oceano. Aside from during check in, not one person on the staff greeted my husband or I when we entered or left the hotel. Even when there were 4 of them chit-chatting in the lobby, not one of them gave a friendly smile or a nod in our direction. If they don't care to interact with customers then maybe they shouldn't have gotten into the hospitality business!
On top of that, the fog horn sounding off every 10 minutes at the harbor prevents you from getting any quality sleep. To counter this, the room is outfitted with earplugs and a noise machine. Really?
I may be able to put aside the poor quality of sleep that I got during my stay but the pretentious staff, no. This hotel is more concerned about being posh than actually pleasing their customers.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank suyen888
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Wow--staff were all amazing. Rates are reasonable. Restaurants nearby are really good. Just an amazing experience overall. Jen and the owner were both available and took great care of every last detail. We're going back for our Honeymoon. If you haven't stayed at Oceano you're missing out! If you're considering wedding destinations, you should at least speak with them.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JamesJames1000
Reviewed June 21, 2014

The staff was great and they let us check in at 2pm. I recommend the deluxe ocean view rooms, especially on the third floor. We also liked the couples massage at the spa and easy accessibility to walk to different restaurants. The only thing we had a little issue with was the slow wifi.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mike p
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Enjoyed two nights at this amazing property. The staff is wonderful and makes for a enjoyable stay. They were always there to assist your every need. Most impressed with Jackson, the evening front desk clerk. We arrived at 9:45pm and were hungry. The restaurant was closing in 15 minutes. He ordered food for us from the front desk and it was ready in ten minutes. We were impressed right from the minute we walked in the front door. Rooms are extremely clean with high end beds, fireplace, and plenty of room to call it home for a few days. Loved everything about Oceano. Thanks so much for making our staff to enjoyable. We will be back.

Room Tip: Go for the king suites. Amazing.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Michael808Wailuku
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We have been to HMB several times. Our daughter worked in Pacifica, so we would often pick up our grand daughter and have lunch there. For Father's Day this year, I purchased a Travel Zoo voucher to stay in a suite, that included chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling wine. We were not disappointed. The berries were delicious and the wine was a higher end vintage. Our room was very comfortable and clean. We really enjoyed being able to park our car in the underground parking garage, and then walking to both a brewery and wonderful restaurant just a few blocks down the road. PLUS, the staff recommended a wonderful breakfast restaurant that we also walked to. Perfect mini break.

Room Tip: The only criticism is that the road outside our bay view room is very busy. However, they offer com...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple