The Ritz-Carlton sent me to this hotel as they were already sold out for a conference I attended there. I was not impressed with the Oceano hotel, especially at the price I was paying. There wasn’t one individual thing that leads me to this evaluation. It was several small things that just added up. I was debating between one and two stars but give it two because of a few positives.
The rooms are spacious with a separate sitting area, fireplace, wet bar and refrigerator. The workout facility is nicely equipped and in general the hotel makes a clean and well maintained impression. Parking is very easy under the building. I didn’t see the noise from the marina fog horn as a problem. There are some restaurant choices in walking distance. Wife is free at a decent speed (I was able to watch TV in HD with few interruptions).
The negatives for me started in the workout facility. For some, this might be a small point but when I took water from the water cooler it was full of chlorine. In other words, the hotel takes a shortcut and simply has staff refill the 5 gallon water jugs with tap water. So why am I paying $250/night? I can taste chlorine from a mile away. It is disgusting. I don’t care that people say our tap water is clean. I don’t want to taste chlorine in my water, not for what I pay for it. The fridge had two small complimentary water bottles in it. Those were never refilled.
At check-in, I asked if they had a king bed rather than the two doubles I was given. They said they were completely booked. I can tell when a hotel is completely booked. This one wasn’t, but they didn’t seem to even try or care. More on that later.
I had a beer at the bar but the bartender seemed to have friends at the bar and they received all the attention. I then decided to just take a beer to the room and order room service. The food was mediocre at best. The Caesar Salad had almost no dressing on it (it was the worst Caesar I’ve ever had, and that is a salad that is tough to screw up) and the wings were not crispy at all as advertised on the menu. They brought salt and pepper but no water on the side or anything that you would expect from a hotel that calls itself luxury.
I didn’t care for the mattress. Too firm. The TV channel selection is limited. I had to watch TBS baseball playoffs using my laptop. Ironically, they had TBS in the bar/restaurant, but given the service there I had to leave.
Here is my biggest beef with this place. I don’t think a single employee there is happy. I don’t think I saw a single smile during my stay there. When a hotel calls itself luxury, I expect some friendliness. At check-in, no friendly “welcome”. The cleaning crews would look away when they passed you in the hallways with an impression on their faces that almost seemed to say “you disgust me”. Compare that to the Ritz where I was asked by a maintenance guy if I wanted some water or coffee (ok, even I was surprised but you get the idea).
I haven’t talked about location yet. If you want something to eat in walking distance, you can have this here. You are at the marina with some restaurants, but downtown Half Moon Bay is several miles away. Beach walks are no problem.
Bottom line: I was very disappointed about this stay, mainly because it always felt as if no one cared about the guests. And how can you call yourself luxury and demand 250 bucks a night when at the same time you have staff refill 5 gallon water jugs with tap water? As one other reviewer said: it all seems to be a little off at this property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in beautiful Half Moon Bay Harbor, the Oceano is one of the Bay Area's favorite hotels. Luxurious suites boast private balconies and fireplaces within a seaport architectural style. The hotel offers over 12,000 square feet of outdoor and indoor meeting space including the Grand Ballroom, meeting rooms with ocean views, and outdoor garden and tent space. The lobby Bar and Grill offers guests casual coastal fare for breakfast, lunch and dinner or private in-room dining. With coastal views and dedicated events staff, Weddings and banquets are our specialty. Several fine restaurants and boutiques within walking distance. Surrounding activities include golf, championship surfing, kayaking, pier and deep sea fishing, horseback riding, sailing, hiking and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oceano Hotel And Spa Half Moon Bay
- Oceano Hotel Half Moon Bay