We spent 3 nights here over the 4th of July weekend. There were pros and cons to this hotel. For spending close to $300 a night to stay here, we had high expectations which unfortunately were not met.
Pros: so new that it still had the fresh paint smell to it, near restaurants and the water, the rooms and decor were gorgeous, a good number of newer cardio machines in the gym with 2 plasma TVs, and the view of the harbor was nice. Free parking in the underground garage was nice too. The rooms had a large mini fridge, coffee maker and bar, 2 TVs, fireplace, sitting area, and new, nice furniture. The staff at the front desk for the most part seemed friendly.
1) the spa is advertised online as opening in early summer. Incorrect- try late fall. No shops and restaurant attached as advertised, from the looks of the construction, no way that those are opening any time soon either.
2) Their website advertised itself as a full service hotel with concierge and bell service- we wondered where this was as we dragged all of our luggage right passed the front desk on our way in and out as they watched us, and when we needed info on local attractions, they referred to the same brochures we did for directions which we could have done ourselves, and which we did multiple times. We didn't see a valet either- another false advertisement.
3) There is a small restaurant/pub as you walk into the hotel- there is no sign with their hours of operation or a menu listed outside as you would see at any other "restaurant."
4) the gym only has cardio machines, a handful of weight machines, and water- no towels (isn't that unsanitary?) and no free weights. If you like to work out on vacation, this is a bummer.
5) Our 2nd day there, we were away from the room for few hours, returning around 1:30 pm for a much needed nap. Housekeeping hadn't cleaned the room but because we wanted to sleep, we put the do not disturb sign on the door. An hour later the phone rang, and we answered after about the 4th ring- they wanted to know if we wanted our room cleaned. That was the end of the nap.
6) My biggest gripe- I overlooked a drawer as I packed up my clothes on our way out. I live over 2 hours away and didn't realize this until I got home that evening (this was a Sunday). After the hotel person looked into it, a few minutes later I was told that housekeeping had my things- I was in the area the entire day, I could have retrieved my things had I received a call on my cell phone, which they had under my reservation. I am sure they would have found a way to call me if I had left a bill unpaid. Yet no phone call after finding a drawer full of clothing? I explained my dire need of those clothes, as I was going away the following Friday so I gave my credit card # and stated to ship it the next day. Thinking that these people were competent enough to do this simple task, I naively said 2 day service would be fine, so long as I got it by Thursday.
To make this long fiasco short, I ended up having to call multiple times Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (no phone call to me explaining the delay, except for Wednesday when it was picked up finally), speaking to numerous people and having to re explain the situation to everyone. Needless to say, the package didn't arrive to my home until Monday (how is that 2 day service, anyway?), 3 days after I left on my trip (and I had to inconvenience yet another person- my neighbor- to pick up the package for me during my absence). Had I known of their unorganized management, I could have just driven back there during the week. You'd think they would have done it overnight on Wednesday knowing I had called for 4 days in a row at that point telling them that I needed it by Thursday.
Overall, we felt that the hotel spent so much money on the decor of the hotel that they opened prematurely, without training their staff on how to deal with their patrons and adding the final touches on their hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in beautiful Half Moon Bay Harbor, the Oceano is one of the Bay Area's favorite hotels. Luxurious suites boast private balconies and fireplaces within a seaport architectural style. The hotel offers over 12,000 square feet of outdoor and indoor meeting space including the Grand Ballroom, meeting rooms with ocean views, and outdoor garden and tent space. The lobby Bar and Grill offers guests casual coastal fare for breakfast, lunch and dinner or private in-room dining. With coastal views and dedicated events staff, Weddings and banquets are our specialty. Several fine restaurants and boutiques within walking distance. Surrounding activities include golf, championship surfing, kayaking, pier and deep sea fishing, horseback riding, sailing, hiking and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oceano Hotel And Spa Half Moon Bay
- Oceano Hotel Half Moon Bay