“Nice hotel though pricey”

Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a Saturday night

Rooms are very nice. Great furniture. Nice bed and comfy

The hotel staff are pleasant.

Breakfast buffet was nice.

The only downside is the price. Very costly. I wish it was a little less pricey. (> 350).

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Willm95060

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This place is I not even worth the one star that I gave it! We booked two rooms at $179.00 a night and was put in a building adjacent to the the hotel and spa! We carried our own bags up two flights of stairs to our room. There was no A/C and the room was stuffy...but your on the bay! So open up the windows ..or so I thought. The one window was shut tight and c/n open the second..the crank was missing the center bay window had a sign posted DoNotOpen. We overlooked the bay but the windows was so dirty that you couldn't see out the window.

The advertisement described a Hotel and Spa with Gas Fireplace and Jacuzzi overlooking the Bay! The brochure most definitely was photoshopped and very misleading and must have been taken on the ONLY sunny day of the year (since Half Moon Bay has much of the same foggy weather as San Francisco in the summertime). It appeared as though the hotel was on a half moon beach front property with beautiful sand. In actuality there is a road that separates the dirty sandy beach from the property and the bay is quite stinky at low tide!

Although the room was pretty and the bed and linens comfortable, the bathroom toilet paper holder was broken and one had to reach behind oneself to fumble for the paper which sat on the tank of the toilet. There was no such jacuzzi in the bathroom and the romantic gas fireplace wasn't working!

I tried calling the front desk only to find out that since we were in the Inn we were not connected to the front desk via the phone in our room unless we dialed an outside number to reach them. So I took myself over to see the manager but as luck would have it he had already gone for the day!

The front desk clerk asked if we wanted to move over to the main Hotel but that meant that we had to shlep our bags down two flights of stairs, pack it back in the car and move ourselves and baggage over two driveways 500 ft away! We decided to stay put and ask that the maintenance man to attempt to get the romantic fireplace in working order. The maintenance man informed the front desk clerk that they have had numerous complaints regarding the non working fireplaces and he could not resolved the issue.

We had another problem trying to get the TV on! It needed two remotes to do so, however, we had only one in our room! Another walk over to the other building and maintenance resolution!

We decided to check out the spa..but the spa was not located in the hotel it was attached to the enclosed mall attached to the main building via the hotel. Entry was only allowed by appointment via this covered and non air conditioned mall which must have been 98 degrees midday! So we headed to the fitness center in the main hotel took the elevator but two floors turned left then left and found a room with a few pieces of equipment in it. By the way the restroom was out of order and it had a missing sink!

On our way back to our rooms I again approached the front desk to inquire where we could fine the ice machine. I was informed that there were no ice machines in the building where we were staying but on the second floor of the main hotel of which we were standing...only problem was that our ice buckets were in our rooms! Oh I was crazy! I asked the front desk to please provide two buckets so that we could get the ice while we were already there in that building and we would carry it over to our second floor rooms on our own since I already knew that that was not a service we would be entitled to in the so called Inn. However we were never told that our $179.00 plus taxes room was in the Inn to begin with!

I then asked that the manager meet with us in our room at check out time the following morning to discuss the issues we had and we headed over and up the stairs go find our toilet tissue sitting behind us on the toilet without our gas fireplace in our room with dirty windows so we couldn't see out to the bay nor open the windows for air and had only the half melted ice we carried to our own room and had to remember which remote to use first to turn on the TV. We were happy to sleep in a comfortable bed and fluffed pillows! However...the manager never showed up the following morning ....and...then...I walked back over to the front desk and asked to see him. He had me wait for 5 minutes until he was ready to see me! I reiterated my dislikes and told him that I anticipated more value for my dollar and he told me he disagreed. I asked him if he would appreciate false advertisement and brochures that were photoshopped or rooms in disrepair and he basically told me I got what I paid for! I also complained about that road between the dirty sandy beachfront and the hotel being more of a major highway with trucks passing by at the wee morning hours of 5am and could be heard through the unopened windows....so he refunded us $25.00 due to "noise". I informed him that I would be posting on Tripadvisor.com and he told me not to threaten him! He could care less! I only hope his supervisors in corporate see this posting because he should never be in hotel management and was a disgrace to the industry!

Spend your money at the Comfort Inn down the road in the same town with the sane fog and with a heated pool! There was no pool or beach at the Oceano Hotel and so called Spa.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Linda R
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I spent three days at the Oceano based upon a friend's recommendation. What a pleasant surprise! Our room was comparable o those we've had at the nearby Ritz. The mini-suite had a included a comfortable seating area with fireplace and an over-sized private balcony with a view of the harbor.

While the hotel amenities (bar, restaurant, spa,etc) are not quite on par with the Ritz, the older facility is very well staffed and maintained and and comfortable. We will definitely go back for another visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a large balcony with a view of the harbor. Room 302 is outstanding.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed here for a wedding recently and it was overall a great hotel in a good location. Hotel is in the harbor (not really oceanside) and has nice views of the boats. The rooms are quite nice and new with ocean charm. All of the standard rooms also have a comfy sitting area, 2 TVs, fridge, and Aveda bath products. The rooms themselves are quite nice!

The location is great too- its walking distance to many of the shops and eateries in the area. We enjoyed the Half Moon Bay Brewing company which was right next door.

Tips on rooms:
The room on the 1st floor from 110-120 are literally right next to the ballroom. This is a very popular hotel for weddings and will likely be hosting a wedding there on weekends. If you are part of the wedding, then it might be convienent to stay in these. If not, I would really try to avoid them due to the
loud party noise that will likely go till 11pm.

Room Tip: Tips on rooms: The room on the 1st floor from 110-120 are literally right next to the ballroom. Th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. We were told we were in the honeymoon suite and we may have been. I expect there were other suites in the hotel which were the same. The room had a nice fireplace, sitting area, balcony with a great view. Cleaning service was very late in the afternoon and had to be requested. Parking garage is great, right under the hotel and elevator takes you to your floor. I wonder about the security with the issue of anyone can enter the parking garage and ride up to any floor. The biggest problem with the hotel is the fog horn which never stops and occurs every eight seconds. You had better bring earplugs. I could be wrong, but it appeared the hotel was cutting back on use of AC in the lobby area.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel to put you in a room where you do not hear the fog horn. Good luck with that.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed in one of the villas, it wasn't ocean facing. But the room was huge. Perfect for our group of 4, plus a one yr old. There was a kitchen, since we only stayed one night, we didn't use it. They also provided this white noise machine in the room and it was great. our baby slept so well. The only thing is that the crib feels flimsy and it wasn't set up for us.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I attended a wedding reception on Aug 30,2013. The facility is beautifully appointed and spotlessly clean. The reception staff were amazing. As guests, we had everything we needed, exactly when we needed it, and staff was practically invisible. The food was outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2013