“Recently remodeled rooms, decent price, close to good food and mall”

Courtyard Los Angeles Hacienda Heights/Orange County
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was just remodeled - clean rooms with nice updates. Friendly and personable staff. Close to mall and lots of good food. Pricing is moderate for area. Family friendly and great for a business traveler.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I usually stay with Marriott properties when I travel, and booked this one on short notice. The lobby was nicely done and the "Bistro" looked interesting for a dine-in facility. For two adults traveling together, the room was typical of those at other Courtyard Hotels I've stayed at, if somewhat dated. King Bed, sofa, desk and chair. I checked-in late in the afternoon, about an hour before the "Bistro" opened for dinner, so we went to sit in the lobby and chatted with the friendly staff while we ate a very expensive meal after 5pm (1 microwaved hamburger each, one with fries and the other with a single orange sliced, a bottled beer and a can of soda***a total cost $32.00+ tip.) We decided to return to our first floor room just off the lobby to relax from the 4-hour drive and watch some TV. Turned the air conditioning unit to fan (since the ocean is only a few miles away, by then it was wet and chilly outside) and noticed the small/single window couldn't open more than about 3-inches due to a safety bar jamming it, so no fresh air could circulate in the room.
About two hours later, my friend mentioned that his eyes were burning and watering, as were mine as well. We thought at the time it might have been caused by the notorious LA smog, which we had driven through that day, and some sleep was needed. But we both also smelled something bad in the air and fabrics...sofa, linens, pillows. I began to wheeze and have labored breathing, he began to cough. The pillows were tossed away and I used two bath towels rolled together as a pillow, to get rid of some of the stench. Since night driving was not an option across miles of dark highway to get back home (limited night-vision), we both suffered through a sleepless night getting progressively more ill until just before dawn. By 5am, I could only wheeze and mumble, stumbling into the hallway wall a couple of times as we hurriedly packed, and fled the hotel. My friend notified the hotel desk clerk upon check-out that he thought that the room's intense odor was probably from the air-conditioning unit located on the outside wall, which should be tested by licensed Environmental Health experts to protect other travelers from such ill effects. As quickly as possible, he drove us back home and to urgent care. My breathing was shallow by then and I could barely speak. The following morning, the first weekday, my friend called the hotel several times to advise the general manager of the problem, but could only leave voicemails about the event.
He also called the Los Angeles Environmental Health Department to alert them to the problem, and they confirmed that toxic mold and mildew fungus problems are common in older structures in that community due to the humid climate and lush vegetation prevalent there. However, after his phone call and just over a week later, a Los Angeles Dept. of Health inspector checked the specific hotel unit and was unable to identify the cause of our illness.
My friend spoke with the hotel's General Manager the following workday (I still couldn't talk well and by then had been placed in an Urgent Care Observation Unit on oxygen therapy) and she promised to have the room tested by professionals, and that it would not be occupied by other guests until results of these tests were in her hands. As I stated above, I usually have preferred to stay with Marriott hotels. But to our knowledge, 10 days later, Marriott's Western Regional Office has done little (or nothing) to protect other travelers at the Hacienda Heights Courtyard. A Marriott's "Claims" spokesperson left a phone message that "it takes time for these things to happen." Well, it didn't take much time to effect my lungs. With such corporate concern for the traveling public, protect yourself and simply avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Dennis S
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I completed a 4 night stay at this hotel 2 weeks ago. In my room I found a notice that free coffee and tea typically provided in the lobby area had just been eliminated. The notice included the promise that they would deliver all the coffee you wanted for your in-room coffee pot and that's nice. But I've never been comfortable using the in-room pot and the powdered creamer can't match the liquid creamers usually provided in the lobby. Plus, no tea option. Personally, I suspect this is an effort to increase sales of the high profit Starbucks sold at the lobby bistro, but I don't care for Starbucks coffee, too bitter for my taste. I like this hotel overall, clean, comfortable and friendly staff. But if I can't get a good cup of coffee, I'm probably going back to the hotel in which we have a corporate agreement.

Room Tip: I generally prefer a room away from the lobby, forgot that this time and it certain was more noisy t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The hotel is located near Buena Park California where I have a business meeting. The hotel is on a main road that is surrounded by adventure themed restaurants, amusement complexes, and shopping malls. The general area is a bit "aged" and the local mall stores are at the lower end of the spectrum indicating that this is not an upscale neighborhood. For example, the mall had numerous "gold buying" shops and kiosks. The anchor stores were Walmart and Ross.

The hotel staff was friendly, and the rooms were spacious and clean. This hotel setup is one that you drive around the building to get better access to your room after you check in. No bell service was offered. Internet was free and average speed, I would have liked it a little faster. Lobby has small store for drinks and sundries. I slept well and area was quiet.

The hotel has a small gym and a Jacuzzi.

Room Tip: The hotel has a small workout room and a Jacuzzi so bring a bathing suit.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Brian P
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The lobby was remodeled since the last time I was here a couple of years ago, and features the new Courtyard style entry and Bistro eatery. The lobby is warm and inviting. The rooms are average and a bit dated, but are comfortable. An improvement would be better quality bath towels. The TV was situated aside of the bed, which made watching TV a bit awkward. The workout room was small. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance down the hill from the hotel. There is also a city park nearby. I have stayed here multiple times and find it a good choice in the area. The staff is generally attentive and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Had another solid stay. The staff makes this place GREAT. The evening check in staff (2 males) are the BEST and should be the trainers for other Marriott locations. They both remember your name, and status level! They try and get you the room to your preferences!! (Away from street, larger size!)

This hotel is the only solid, chain hotel close to City of Industry. The rooms are quiet, and a typical "courtyard" experience.

Many "chain" restaurants are close-by for eating, but ask the great staff members at night for recommendations. The cat and cup (or something like that) is AWESOME, and is recommended by them. They have always sent me to a fine diner!

Also, 85C (bakery) is an experience that everyone should see. It is right next door to the hotel for CHEAP, GOOD morning food/drinks.

Will definately return when I am back in the area!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have stayed here before and had no issues, except this time, it was not the same. For starters, all elevators were not working, I can see it for one day, but not for three, it is a sign there are other problems with the hotel! In addition, the room I had reserved, when I checked in was told it was what I had requested, when I get to the room, no so. I tried to change it, but somehow, no more rooms like the one I reserved. I got switched to another room, climbing the stairs (elevators not working) to a different type room and not even a mention of some compensation for the problems.

Room Tip: When all is working, it is a nice place with a good location to stay, sadly not this time!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
6 mi away
Ayres Suites Diamond Bar
Ayres Suites Diamond Bar
#1 of 3 in Diamond Bar

Been to Courtyard Los Angeles Hacienda Heights/Orange County? Share your experiences!