“Gourmet food and superb service”

Applewood Inn Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 45 Restaurants in Guerneville
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Located on Hwy. 116, 1/2 mile east of River Road and the Guerneville bridge
Description: Vibrant Sonoma Cuisine that is sustainable, local and organic. The Restaurant at Applewood Inn was honored with One Star by the Michelin Guide for 2011 and 2012. Its acclaimed cuisine is inspired by the lush bounty of the Russian River Valley and accented by Mediterranean influences. The Restaurant at Applewood Inn ranks among the top fine dining restaurants in Sonoma Wine Country. It offers gracious service in a rustic and romantic setting that balances warmth and elegance. Celebrate life and every romantic occasion at Applewood. A magical evening at the Applewood Restaurant will help make your special event even more memorable.
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We had the opportunity to eat here for two nights and enjoyed every minute of it. From Muscovy Duck Sausage and Black Trumpet Mushrooms to Rack of Lamb, Seared Ahi and New York Steak and ending with Grand Marnier Creme Brulee we ate and then groaned in contentment. Excellent wine list, too. Very nice cozy dining room with veranda seating available.

1  Thank TzarIgor

Reviewed March 20, 2010

This was our first visit to Applewood Inn Restaurant, which we made during barrel tasting weekend (3/13) this year. The eagerness to please was palatable from the servers to the chef. Our reservations were early (6 p.m.) and we were among the first in the lovely dining room. We took awhile to order and select our wine; however, we were there almost 3 hours for appetizers, entrée and dessert. The sommelier/maitre de made mention of the barrel tasting weekend and that they were expecting a busy evening. They were clearly unprepared and did not have enough staff. The servers, a waiter and assistant, were knowledgeable, cordial and comfortable with discussing the food. However, they couldn’t make up for the s-l-o-w food service. The sommelier was young and I suspect inexperienced as he poured wine in the water in my husband’s water glass. Apologies all around from servers and the sommelier.

The food was delicious. My husband thought the lamb melted in his mouth and my braised pork was succulent and had a luscious milk, orange braising liquid. The accompaniments were equally well prepared and innovative – pea shoots ? who knew they are so good. My appetizer was julienned black truffles on sautéed leeks and was an outstanding pairing. The desserts were also good; a frangipane pear tart with a thin crème anglaise on the side, mocha mousse with frangilico gelato. The only criticism I have for the food preparation was a wine reduction sauce with the pork which had no relationship to the dish or the braising sauce. My husband wasn’t a fan of the mint chimichurri either. Both were easily avoided and didn’t spoil the overall dish. The dish of crème anglaise separate from my tart was awkward. I put a bit on the tart but was left with a ¾ bowl full of “soup”.

We received many apologies throughout the meal about slow food service and we were not charged for the small French press coffee we ordered while waiting for dessert. There is clearly potential for this restaurant, but quite a few kinks to be ironed out. The chef seems a bit overeager and should edit some of the dishes and/or think the whole plate through a bit more. Too much going on doesn’t improve the dish taste or value. I just felt sorry for the waiters as they were clearly overwhelmed but tried mightily not to convey that to diners. I would return at some point to see if the potential was realized.
I would recommend the restaurant to others with some cautionary notes.

1  Thank Beezercal01
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I was hoping for more but got less. The surroundings are nice and it was pleasant and comfortable. The food was just so-so and it was priced too high. As well as the other people in my group pretty much felt the same.

1  Thank John94521
Reviewed December 16, 2009

The Applewood Inn Restaurant was tremendous. We ate there twice during our four day stay, even though there were many other area restaurants from which to choose. On the first evening we both went with the chef's prix fixe menu and his wine pairings featuring local wines. The food was delicious and the pairings were perfect. I'll also add that the pours for the wine pairings were much more generous than what we typically see in Chicago. On the second evening we ordered from the menu and again, everything was delicious.

I read in another review that the diners were not allowed to independantly (all order prix fixe or none do). If that was once true, it is not any longer.

If you're in the area definitely make reservations and experience this amazing restaurant.

Reviewed November 26, 2009

Really enjoyed our meal here. Had pumpkin soup, steak tartare, and choc/mocha mousse for dessert. Pricey but I think worth it!