“Great meal but 1 slight error gave it a -1”

Applewood Inn Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 42 Restaurants in Guerneville
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Located on Hwy. 116, 1/2 mile east of River Road and the Guerneville bridge
Description: Vibrant Sonoma Cuisine that is sustainable, local and organic. The Restaurant at Applewood Inn was honored with One Star by the Michelin Guide for 2011 and 2012. Its acclaimed cuisine is inspired by the lush bounty of the Russian River Valley and accented by Mediterranean influences. The Restaurant at Applewood Inn ranks among the top fine dining restaurants in Sonoma Wine Country. It offers gracious service in a rustic and romantic setting that balances warmth and elegance. Celebrate life and every romantic occasion at Applewood. A magical evening at the Applewood Restaurant will help make your special event even more memorable.
Anaheim, CA
“Great meal but 1 slight error gave it a -1”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Excellent food in a quaint, quiet setting. Parking could be a problem if the place was full, and its not the easiest place to find. I wouldn't want to find this place at night!

Its an Opentable restaurant, so I scored 100 points and a great meal at my first Michelin restaurant. Scored a great deal on travelzoo, but I had only 2 complaints

1. for a high end restaurant, and a MIchelin one, I was surpised that our server didn't clean away the crumbs from our table in between courses, or at least before dessert/ coffee and
2. our server "forgot" our coffee, and claimed it was still being made (via french press) when we asked him about it.... yet he brought out our dessert without the coffee. My BF's dessert was melting while we waited for the coffee, which made him a little upset.

Otherwise the food was wonderful, and I enjoyed the description of each course as we consumed it.

Grade B+ because of those 2 incidents, which for a higher end restaurant should not have happened.

1 Thank callmemochelle

Campbell, California
“Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Outstanding dinner. Probably one of the best dinners we've ever had at a restaurant. The pork belly appetizer was delicious and the rack of lamb entree was fabulous. The mint sauce served with the lamb was very good and I am not normally a fan of mint. We had a wonderful salad made with butter lettuce. I hope they don't change the menu. We would like the same dinner again.

Visited March 2013
New Jersey
“can I just say wow”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

every aspect of the dinner was perfect except they could have brought the lemon for our water a little bit quicker. amazing appetizers. we got the order choc and crab soup along with the crazy scallop appetizer. they were awesome but the entrees were even better. perfect steak with over the top rack of lamb. wish I lived closer cause I would absolutely fine with getting back here more often. I'm a foodie from New York City so I know what I'm talking about

Northern California
“Applewood Inn the Woods”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I dined on Friday 10 May at Applewood Restaurant. I had recently purchased for $75 a Groupon that entitled us two of each: appetizer, entree (plate), dessert and a glass of wine. We had an early 6PM reservation and the restaurant was nearly empty when we arrived, but filled by the time we left a little more than 2 hours later – the pacing of the food was leisurely.

The included wines were a choice of a Chardonnay or Pinot Noir both from Picket Fence in the Russian River Valley. My wife liked the Chardonnay and I thought the Pinot Noir was very good. There was an option to use a $10/each credit toward other wines on their selection.

My wife started with the Artichoke Soup - Brown Butter Dungeness Crab, Preserved Meyer Lemon, Garden Chives and I opted for the Pan Seared Diver Scallop, Mendocino Uni - Whipped Yukon Gold Potatoes, Saffron Butter, Piment D'Espelette. Both appetizers were delicious – my wife especially appreciated that her soup was served hot and not warm as too often happens in busy restaurants.

For our main plates my wife ordered the Cocoa Nib Crusted Rack of California Lamb - Sherry Braised Chorizo, Sautéed English Peas & Green Garlic, Mint Chimichurri and I opted for the House Smoked Berkshire Pork Chop - Rhubarb, Celery, Gorgonzola, Meyer Lemon-Sage Brown Butter. The lamb was cooked medium rare as requested and my wife enjoyed her tasty dish – although she did think the Cocoa Nib Crust was a bit too much, but the excess easily scraped away.

I order the house smoked pork chop both because smoked pork chops are my favorite restaurant meant and as we walked from the parking lot to the restaurant I could smell the smoker doing its thing. Later, looking out the window in the restroom I could see the source of the smoke. All that aside, I was disappointed in this offering mostly because the ‘chop’ was more like a piece of ham. Because ham is more dense than a chop, the smoke had not penetrated the meat, so there was little smoke taste. Lastly, there was a slightly sweet glaze on the meat that I did not seen in the description. I happen to be a person that does not like sweet with meat. I ate about 1/3 of the meat and will use the rest for ham and eggs. The bright note was the rhubarb and celery topping with Meyer lemon dressing – this was delightful.

For dessert my wife selected the Three-Layer Chocolate Mocha Mousse Hazelnut Praline, Espresso Gelato White Chocolate Crumble – no surprise as chocolate is mentioned twice in the description. I opted for the Quince Frangipane Tart Almond Crème Anglaise with Blueberries – I am not much of a dessert guy, but this lemon tart was not too sweet and not too tart.

The service was excellent. Our waiter Jessie carefully explained each dish as it was served and stopped by our table just often enough to inquiry if our meal was satisfactory. As I said at the start, the pacing of the food was slow for my personal preference, but if in a larger group that would be preferred so as to enjoy the conversation.

Our tab was $33.79 that include 20% gratuity, based on the items ordered, and tax. So with the Groupon a very nice meal for two for $108.79 was had. We would certainly return and consider bringing our wine country guests.

There is limited parking, especially considering the small lot serves guests of both the inn and restaurant.

The restaurant is in a destination location – I doubt anyone drives by and says ‘Oh Applewood lets stop in and eat.’ The presence of the Russian River attracts visitors in the summer months and the inn provides some steady customer base for the restaurant. But it is not well located for wine tasting, as it is well west of most wineries.

2 Thank LostLen
San Francisco, Ca
“Lovely inn”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Lovely inn (not a B&B) just across the Russian River from the center of Guerneville. We were welcomed with a glass of local champagne and taken to our room (Chablis). It's been newly refurbished with hardwood floors, fireplace, a new Posturepedic mattress and its own hot tub on the back patio. We're looking forward to dinner at their restaurant tomorrow night.

Visited May 2013