“Feel like a Hobbit in the Shire”

Armstrong Redwood State Reserve
Book In Advance
More Info
$219.00*
and up
Small Group Sonoma Redwoods and Wine Tour
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Guerneville
More attraction details
Owner description: A nature reserve that boasts soaring redwood trees.
San Francisco, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Feel like a Hobbit in the Shire”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

It is always humbling to see the giant redwoods in all their majesty. Definitely worth the trip from SF. Enjoyable stroll in the trees is typically 20 degrees cooler than in the sun so dress accordingly.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank cre8art

Huntington Beach, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Majesty in nature”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My first time started at the outside parking lot. A quick glance at a trail map and off I went up the East Ridge Trail. Up. Up. LOL. Lots of up. I should mention I am not a frequent hiker and nobody could consider me in shape. But the forest was inviting. The peaceful majesty of the trees. Given my conditioning I took more breaks than most. I still fell in love with this place. At some point the East Ridge Trail descended into the valley. My hike became a stroll down the Pioneer Nature Trail. Then on to the Armstrong Nature Trail. There I came to the namesake Armstrong Tree. This is an awe inspiring 308 foot tall 1,300 year old Redwood. Too many people race through the the trails and the trees. My recommendation is to gift yourself time to read the informative placards. Also take a moment to sit and just enjoy the gift of the forest. My path then wondered over to the Redwood Forest Theater. This area has some bench seating for people to sit and enjoy the forest. Many take the opportunity to break out the picnic lunch they packed in. Next time I plan to be one of those who pack in lunch. My trip ended with a casual stroll on the Discovery Trail. This was a truly wonderful experience. If you are new to hiking stop at the visitors center and get advice as to the best paths for your visit. For myself, I have already been back again and planning a extensive hike. One final note. If you don't like gnats a tad a bug spray applied before your hike/walk will get rid of those little.... gnats. :-)

Visited July 2013
4 Thank John G
Sebastopol, California
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Cool Off in the Redwoods”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Leave your car in the parking lot and admission to the park is free. Walk in along shaded paths through thousand year old trees to the picnic area, the most attractive site in Russian River country.

San Jose, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Bring your baby strollers”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Armstrong Woods is an awe-inspiring cathedral of redwood giants. Bring your children too, because they will be equally amazed by the majestic scenery. If you want a short-ish (1.7 mile) casual walk on a trail that is tamped down enough to push a stroller on it, take Pioneer Trail up to the picnic area and then Discovery Trail back to the visitor's center. We had a sleeping one year old with us and had no problem pushing the stroller along these paths. When there, be sure to close your eyes and inhale deeply. The air is clean and fragrant. On a hot day, you will really appreciate the shade and the silence here.

4 Thank Victoria S
San Diego, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Serene and Awe-Inspiring”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband I and took a detour to Armstrong Redwood State Reserve while visiting wine country, so glad we did. The lady at the visitor information center was incredibly informative. We wanted a bit more of a strenuous hike than the flat, meandering path that led most folks to the "big" redwoods. She found us the perfect 3.3 mile loop that incorporated both the most famous trees and took us high up in to forest. There were longer options up to 5.5 miles too. We started with the Pioneer Trail, followed by the Discovery trail, the Pool Ridge trail then the East Ridge trail. It is hard to describe the majesty of these trees without standing in their midst but we stopped several times just to see the dappled sunlight streaming through their branches or to look up, up, up but never quite see the top.

The trails are well-maintained but Pool Ridge and East Ridge have steep sections. A few folks were trying in flip flops and turned back. We did note quite a bit of Poison oak on the side of the trails so beware!

Parking is free if you choose to walk the trails. You can drive in, but we would definitely recommend the walk. This is a park that will appeal to both casual walkers and more serious hikers. It was not too crowded though the parking lot was almost full. We only encountered a 3 or 4 other groups on pool ridge and east ridge, so would highly suggest those trails if you are seeking a little serenity.

Overall, an awe inspiring experience.

2 Thank kforstot