Applewood Inn
H2 Hotel(Healdsburg)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Healdsburg(Healdsburg)
View Hotel
All reviewswine countryrussian riverwine tastingprivate patiogrounds are gorgeousprivate hot tubsonoma countywonderful restauranthalibutcozy roomcomplimentary breakfastmain buildingcouples massageromantic weekendnew ownerswe've stayedsan francisco
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Inn Dec. 6-8. We enjoyed dinner both nights at their sensational restaurant. The first night we had the incredible tasting menu and the second a la carte. We both had the cod and thought it was fabulous. Service was exceptional, the room devine. The highlight was the couple's massage with wine, cheese and roses waiting for in the room. Wow! Meg and Sharon did a great job thoroughly relaxing us. Would highly recommend the Inn. Found nearby town of Guernville really dodgy.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gbmn
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Our junior suite was ok, the pillows were not high quality and the bed was not very comfortable. The biggest disappointment was the restaurant, it was incomprehensible that they received a Michelin star. The only notable dish on our 5 course tasting menu was the dessert--that was great. The other dishes were ordinary & nothing special, the black cod was actually overcooked and fishy-tasting. I suspect it was not the freshest fish. The waiter was awful, he loudly sighed when I ordered coffee with my dessert. He rushed off after putting the desserts down and was clearly annoyed that I asked him for coffee after he was leaving. Ugh. The breakfast (Chilaquiles) would have been better if it was served hot, we asked the waiter to heat it and he brought it back just as cold. They are trying for an upscale experience but they don't have the talent to make it happen. Will not return.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlos P, Owner at Applewood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear CalifWilma,
Team Applewood's aspiration is to provide an extraordinary experience to all our guests. Some times to our great disappointment we fail.
The overwhelming majority of our guests, both the ones that leave reviews in venues like this site and those that do not, are very positive about Applewood, its restaurant and their breakfast experience. The restaurant at Applewood has been awarded very high points by Zagat and OpenTable reviews and has earned a Michelin Star for 2011 and 2012.
At present 7 of our 10 Junior Suits and by the end of December all 10 will be furnished with king size beds and Tempurpedic mattresses, Italian Frette linen, towels and robes and high quality European toiletries. Many of our guest rave about how comfortable they slept in our beds.
Dear CalifWilma If unintentionally any of our team members offended you in any way I offer you my apologies and wish you happy travels.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

So disappointed! This was my worst experience with a B&B ever. It wasn't the Inn itself, but the extremely rude owner and staff that caused us to ask for a refund. I have never been treated so rudely by any other establishment in my life.

First, I called to make a reservation and the receptionist took all of my info and said she was too busy to enter it into the system at the moment, but she'd put it in and I would get a confirmation email later that day. I waited for the email and by the end of the next day I still hadn't gotten it so I called again. She remembered me and had simply forgotten to make my reservation. OK cool, I know things get busy and you forget about stuff. Not super professional, but I'm cool with it. She proceeds to put everything into her computer system and says I'm CONFIRMED for one of the upgraded suites. (I was using a Livingsocial deal and it clearly says you can upgrade for $50.)

FIVE days later I get an email from Applewood saying there are details of my reservation that need to be worked out. I call and the receptionist says that they canceled my reservation for the room I upgraded to and put me in the tiniest room they have and only for one night when I was initially staying 2 nights. Only 1 night was covered under the livingsocial deal and I was totally ready to spend $300 for the second night. Her reason for canceling was she found out the room I made the reservation for wasn't covered under the deal. I would have been totally ok with that and made other plans if they hadn't waited FIVE days to tell me!!

I was very nice and said I didn't even have to use the livingsocial voucher I just wanted to stay in that room. She then said it was already re-booked because they canceled my reservation many days prior!! Then she laughed and said "yeah we've been really getting booked up the last few days with all of the Livingsocial deals" So basically I'm SOL for a good room even though I tried to book it in advance.

I asked that the owner give me a call to negotiate something. My boyfriend took the call from the owner and as soon as the owner Carlos gets on the phone he is very rude and won't let my bf speak. This was so uncalled for because we were both so courteous and patient with them. My bf was so disgusted by the whole ordeal and the way they handled it he asked if we could just get our money back.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Kelly D
Carlos P, Owner at Applewood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Kelly D,
My sincere apologies for having offended you in such an egregious manner.
You are absolutely correct that Applewood made an error with your reservation and I fully acknowledge that I'm responsible for that since the buck stops with me.
In an effort to compensate for our error I offered you different solutions:
a) Stay the first night in the room that came with the voucher you purchased, not the up-grated one since that one was already committed to another guests, and move the next day when the room was available, paying no additional charge for the upgrade.
b) Although the special that you had the voucher for was ending I would extend the special indefinitely so that you could arrive at the time and room of your choice with no upgrade charges.
c) The time for refunds was long passed but nevertheless I guaranteed that you will get a full refund from the company that issued the voucher, if you so desired.

The only option that was not possible was to remove the guests that were already assigned to the room you wanted as that would not have been fair to them either and two wrongs do not make a right.

Today I would like to offer another possibility. Applewood extends to you a two night stay in the room that you chose, at no charge. The offer is valid until the end of 2013 and it is subject to availability. Although your prior experience in dealing with us was very negative I promise that if you visit us you will agree with 99% of our guest that we are here to pamper them and assure them of an exceptional experience.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I and another couple bought a special deal that included a junior suite, dinner at their restaurant and passes to wineries. The staff was very nice but was not sure of the wineries that the passes were good at. She showed us several on a map but none of those would accept the passes and charged to taste wine. The suite we had only had a bath and no shower and no full curtains on the windows. Which I find uncomfortable. The bed was hard as a rock and the cover was the blanket! Yuck. The was an extra blanket in the closet but it had stains. On a better note the dinner at the restaurant was very good. The grounds are very pretty.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlos P, Owner at Applewood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Stockgirl102,
As a member of the Wine Country Inns, we enjoy the privileges offered by a comprehensive Wine Passport that allows our guests to enjoy wine tasting without paying any fee in as many as 122 wineries in all of Sonoma. The list of wineries catalogued by wine growing region is printed inside of the "Passport" and one need only to read the list to see which ones are included.
The Jr. Suit you stayed in is appointed with a Roman Jacuzzi tub with a hand held shower. This type of tubs are often used in Europe and many of our guest enjoy this romantic and elegant feature. The suite is located on the second floor and we feel that it is unnecessary to cover the entire window specially since there is no building any where near them and they face some beautiful trees and a natural view that enhance the feelings of serenity an peace that Applewood offers.
What is of more concern to me is your confusion about what cover our beds. What your refer to as a blanket is a duvet. Duvets are made in the form of an envelope with all but one side enclosed. A down comforter is inserted into the duvet to provide warmth. The duvets are washed and a fresh one is used for every guest providing the most hygienic bed cover possible.
I'm sorry that Applewood was not a good match for you. I wish you happy travels

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our second stay at this Inn. The previous one was 4 years ago. On both stays we were traveling by bike, touring the Sonoma and Russian River wine country. We loved the location and wanted to return.

On our latest visit it was clear that the management had changed. Very nice and attentive staff but the property was a bit run down and things were not as well organized as we recalled. One thing we were looking forward to was a dip in the hottub while we enjoyed some of the wine we had purchased during the day. After checking in and lugging our own bags to a somewhat dreary room (small, downstairs in the basement!) we donned our suits and robes and headed for the hot tub pool area. The pool was supposed to be solar heated and the hot tub gas heated. Both were freezing. Worse, the hottub was covered by a piece of bubblke wrap that was old and mildued. Didn't look like it had been used in some time. Not surprisingly because it was not working! The staff tried to fix it but we could tell this was just an exercise, they knew it was broken and could not be fixed.

Overall we were dissapoointed at the entire experience and will not return again. Not worth the premium price.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room with a king bed.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tom E

Dear Tom E.,
There is no basement in the old mansion. The house, that is a Sonoma historical landmark, was built in 1922 on a hill and is split level. Since we bought the inn in November of 2009 all 9 rooms in it have been redone with new hard wood floors, new heating and air conditioning, Tempurpedic mattresses, Kholer Flipside shower heads and new paint. On this very website you may read reviews of guest that love these rooms and their refined amenities like Frette linen and Gilcrest and Soames European toiletries. Many of them have become our regulars.
Since you were biking through the hot tub was very important to you and I'm very sorry that you were not able to use it. The hot tub is on every day of the year with very few interruptions due to an occasional mechanical problem. The solar blanket made of bubbled plastic is use to reduce energy waste since the spa is maintained at a constant 104 degrees.
Our pool is opened from May until September and during this period of time the solar panels maintain the temperate between 75 and 82 degrees. Our hot tub and pool are modest in scale and although they are set in a beautiful and peaceful environment I do not think that many of our guest are drawn to Applewood just because of them. A great number of our visitors appreciate our Michelin starred restaurant and love our breakfast with its great choice of drinks from our espresso bar, Mimosas, Champagne and a two course meal all included with your stay. Some love Applewood because of it privileged location among dozens of world class wineries while others come to our spa to relax and rejuvenate and many find in our beautiful setting an enclave for romance.
My apologies again and happy travels.