“What a suite!”
Review of Surf Motel

Surf Motel
Ranked #1 of 7 Gualala B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I booked directly with the owner, Eric ( Great Host). He suggested the Firepkace suite.
When I walked into # 120, I turned around and said to my Wife " I think you're going to like this place" The view of the coast and bluffs is fantastic! However the best part is where your spending indoor time. Think of three comfortable zones. A: Entertainment zone;Furnished with dark brown leather sofa, large gas fireplace, 37" plasma TV, windows. B: Reflexion zone;Three piece leather love seat, two deep arm chairs, craftsmen furniture and huge picture window overlooking the ocean and bluffs. C: Dream zone; A set back bed alcove featuring a high feathered king bed overlooking the entire room and the ocean below! The small bathroom is basic motel, but does feature a nice large skylight. Wi-fi, Sat TV, Refrig and micro are also included. Small Pet is Ok

No smoking on property.
The town has provided an extra feature, a nice level walking path along the bluffs for approx. 1/4 mile. Best dependable dinner, go up the coast 4 miles to the Redwood Grill in Anchor Bay.

We're goin back again and again, the four hndred mile trip is worth it!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 28, 2009

Right in town yet removed and quiet. The room though small was well appointed. HDTV w/cd player and free movie from next door rental store was a bonus. Beautiful garden and river/ocean view. Handy cliff trail to stretch out on. Also an included breakfast helps the day start properly.Several walk-to restarants and grocery store make this a user friendlystop.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Enjoy the ocean view from a lovely room. Very friendly people and a nice continental breakfast.
We'll be back here again on the next trip through. This is a keeper.
The staff is fabulous and very pretty.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Hi, It doesn't look that special from the street, but with the room renovations and the way that Eric takes care of his guest and the property, I would highly recommend this hotel. It is an older renovated property, so it has some personality and character to it, unlike some newer properties. We shelled out a little extra for one of the ocean view suites and loved it. Eric cooks a real breakfast in the morning for his guests, which is a good thing as Gualala doesn't really have a breakfast restaurant. This is a pet friendly hotel too. Gualala is a special place to stay and the Surf Motel made our stay even more enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2009

while attending a wedding this weekend, we stayed at the surf...nice room...good value...very friendly person running the place and nice guests too !!!
the reviews are spot on....a good choice for sure !!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2009

This is the second stay here.The improvements are very noticeable.(was good before)They have added a great breakfast,home made waffles,bisquits and gravy,muffins etc.Nothing packaged!The service is still excellent,Kassie is the most pleasant and accomodating Manager.Owner Eric has done a terrific job with these improvements.A definite re-visit!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank surflivermore
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Like others here who have posted reviews on TripAdvisor, I chose this hotel based on some customer reviews here. My boyfriend and I were celebrating our 2 year anniversary and decided to stay go somewhere different. I LOVE doing scenic coastal drives up and down Hwy 1 so stopping by Gualala seemed like a good choice.

While I wasn't expecting to stay in luxury or anything fancy, I felt that the Surf Motel was fairly adequate. I didn't get as great of a deal as other people here received (my rate was about $155.00) and seeing that some wonderful other amenities have been added, maybe that's why I feel that I didn't get a whole lot of value out of the stay. Maybe somewhere down the road I'll stay here again to make a better judgment and hopefully be able to book one of the ocean view rooms.

When I tried to book a room here, they only had one regular room available so I stayed in one of the units closest to the main road. The manager of the hotel was very friendly and check in was pretty smooth. I'd heard that the new owners started upgrading the entire hotel and during my stay some of these upgrades were very noticeable.

The beds were very nice. I like that they had goose down mattress pads w/high quality bed sheets. The room was pretty small so there wasn't a whole lot of room to maneuver; it made for a cozy room for 2. The bathroom was surprisingly spacious and very clean. They offered an array of bath products which is a nice touch. Another small touch was that they offered you a yellow towel shammy to use for whatever you'd like so that you wouldn't use regular bath towels to clean things up. I noticed that a lot of bikers come through Gualala so this must be very useful (and you can't wash out those grease stains very easily!)

Unfortunately for us our room did not have a new LCD flat screen TV, we just had a normal, older black TV w/a DVD player. There is a video rental store right next to the hotel so we rented some movies to entertain ourselves and relax. They offer free wireless internet here (great amenity) but I found that the connection was very spotty and slow. We tried to look up some places to stop by on our way down Hwy 1 but it took too long for pages to load so we just said screw it. One thing they could improve on is hopefully updating all of the furniture. Although the bed was super comfortable and has a nice dark wood bed frame, the rest of the furniture was pretty dated/chipped. The room felt random in this way. Again, I'm not expecting luxury here but just an FYI for management in the future.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AEbunny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
#1 of 2 in Point Arena
North Coast Country Inn
North Coast Country Inn
#4 of 7 in Gualala

Been to Surf Motel? Share your experiences!