“All of this for $99”
Review of Surf Motel

Surf Motel
Ranked #2 of 7 Gualala B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Never in all my days of traveling the coast would I have thought this was possible to get a room on the the ocean side of Hwy 1 for $ 99.00, but it only gets better. Eric quoted the rate and then he sold us on the room and amenties. He said they just started to serve breakfast, waffels, biscuits, yougart, granola, organic oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, etc,etc. The room is GREAT, 37 inch HTDV, with a dvd player, Eric said we could go next door and rent a DVD and we could get a discount because we stayed with him, we did and we felt at home. The rooms are small, but they have made it so comfortable you are not aware of it once you soak into the 5 Inch feather bed.

When we travel to Gualala, we will always check with Eric first.

PS. Eric loves to talk, he will keep you company at breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smartend
There are newer reviews for Surf Motel

Reviewed February 15, 2009

More than just a room. They have just starting serving a hot breakfast in the lobby, Belgium Waffles, Buscuit and Gravy, Granola, Make your own specialty coffee, Hard boiled eggs, yougurt, Organic Oat Meal that's just a start. Eric was our host and the breakfast started at 8:30, we stayed 2 hours just talking with him and enjoyed his views on many subjects. It was great to have a host who cared.

The rooms are not motel rooms, I have stayed in 3 diamond inns that to not even compare with the creature comfort you get there, too many to list. I was most impressed that they give you a yellow towel in your room each day to be used any way you want, I think the note said you can even check your oil with it. I used it to wipe my car down.

We will be back to stay.

Eric for President, he gets our Vote.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TATACalifornia
Reviewed December 12, 2008

Booked directly w/ new owner - asked for a King bed & a full ocean view. He offered their Suite #120, wonderful! Terrific ocean front setting, fireplace, views, clean and comfortable for the 2 of us and a dog. The bathroom was very small & dated, but the room's comfort and setting made up for that. There are no services - but there is a coffee maker, fridg & micro. You can walk to anyplace in town. Parking is adjacent to the building. We looked at a few other rooms that were waiting to be cleaned and we saw one with a complete eat-in kitchen and another w/ 2 queens and a beautiful ocean front view.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2008

We had a room at the end which had a view of the ocean when you opened our door. The room was small and because it was for a handicapped person, we had a large bathroom but no closet (refrigerator and condiments were in it). The maid service was excellent. It's a great location, but our room was on the small side.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Wow!! When my husband booked this I and he told me it was a motel, my expectations instantly hit the floor. I was more than pleasantly suprised upon arrival. The person to check us in (Eric) was very freindly and made us feel welcome. He was very accommodating in everything from where we should eat to how the remote on the TV worked.

Once we reached the room I was overwhelmed with how plush it was. Down (or something similar) comforter, down pillows, beautiful linens, flat screen TV, IPOD deck, microwave, down to the smallest detail of a complimenary make-up removing cloth. Even the outside area was tastefully decorated with little extras that you won't see on MUCH HIGHER priced rooms.

Then I have to say the location could not be beat. Our room looked over the ocean. A few steps out the door and you were onto a beautiful bluff trail that over looked gorgeous ocean/beach/cliff/river views. With in a couple of minutes I enjoyed the best breakfast and Latte at Trink's that was under $10.

I have done a lot of traveling and stayed in rooms that were well over $250/night that were not nearly as fabulous as my experience here. That is why I consider it to be the best value I have had in a LONG time.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2008

This place was wonderful. Updated rooms, with flat screen tv's!!! The room was clean and the bedding was beautiful. For the price I did not expect much but I was extremely surprised. The whole feel of the place was friendly, the staff was very nice and they are very pet friendly. You can see the ocean from the front door of the room. If you get a chance to go to Gualala you should stay here - you will not be sorry.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2008

We picked this motel based on the reviews here on TripAdvisor. And while we got a bed and a room, it wasn't what i was expecting. The room was small, but the bathroom was pretty big. They toiletries they give you are nice and the staff are very friendly.

We didn't have an ocean-front room but we could wak to the ocean in 2 minutes. We watched the sunset.

It was unseasonably warm and the room didn't have A/C. I guess the climate is usually such that you only need a heater. A slight inconenience.

There was a stain on the floor in our room and a stain on the bedspread.

All in all, it was an ok stay. Nothing fancy, but we weren't looking for fancy. :)

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
The Wharf Master's Inn
The Wharf Master's Inn
#1 of 2 in Point Arena
Whale Watch Inn by the Sea

Been to Surf Motel? Share your experiences!