“Sea and hear the Surf”
Review of Surf Motel

Surf Motel
Ranked #2 of 7 Gualala B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife & I stayed one night 4 January 2014.
We opted for one of the queen bed rooms with a full view of the ocean.

The room was clean and tidy but a tad small. There is a small room heater that did an amazing job of warming the room. The bathroom/shower/tub is of adequate size but in need of updating – still has a straight, rather than curved, shower curtain rod. The in ceiling exhaust fan did not work, but there is a window for ventilation and more views of the ocean. The Wifi worked and was fairly speedy.

My only real complaint was the queen bed. Although a standard queen size, the bed was topped by some type of ‘pillow top’ that might have been designed for a double bed. The effect was the edges of the bed were rounded off – essential making the bed about a foot more narrow in width, as one could not rest near the rounded edges.

The highlight of the Surf Motel is the breakfast. This buffet exceeded our expectations. In addition to waffles on request – made with a special batter, there were scrambled eggs, sausages, and sausage gravy for biscuits. Oatmeal and a dry cereal and a selection of baked sweets – perhaps baked on premises – bread and yogurt?

I can confirm the Surf Motel’s claim to “Your best travel dollar value on the North Coast.”

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LostLen
Eric C, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Great comments, we have reconfigured that room and added new chairs with a side table. Value and Service is the corner stone of all that we do. Starting in May 1, 2014 we will start a High Tea with Wine. Come back for a Glass.

There are newer reviews for Surf Motel

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed one night in this motel, and the views over the sea were beautiful. The room was small, but clean and had everything you need. Main thing to stop it from getting 5*s was the breakfast. It was served in quite a small room and was a little too communal for my OCD.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine2311
Eric C, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Home run on the remarks, we added more seating outside and more view options while eating breakfast. Thank so much.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

What a great motel! We happened upon this spot while on route from Chilliwack B.C. to Santa Cruz California. We had stopped elsewhere to find a room on the beach that would be acceptable of our dog spending the night as well. There were five other couples with their dogs as well. The other motels in town wouldn't allow dogs so.... The room was great, the breakfast in the morning was a nice touch and falling asleep to the sound of waves crashing was perfect. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: They accept dogs- and have a nice dog walking area.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Eric C, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

How can we say, Thank you for taking a chance, while we are not that "Branded cookie cuter inn we try to keep up with all that they do. We have just added Kureg coffee makers to all guest rooms and will start serving a High Tea with Complimentary wine and crackers.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Driving on Hwy 1, I Was very tired when I pulled into the Surf Motel in Gualala at 8:00 p.m.. I was met with a friendly smile from the owner. I got a room with an ocean view for a great price and slept very well. No Hwy noise at all! The FULL breakfast was great and the whole experience reminded me that I don't need to stay in a name brand motel to get great quality at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with a view of the ocean. Wow!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Eric C, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

I remember you, so kind of you to write this down for others. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

The wife and I were on a 2 week motorcycle trip from Arizona and we had gone up through Nevada and then up to the California and Oregon border. We were heading down the coast and it was getting dark and a little foggy. As we were driving into Gualala my wife saw the Surf Motel and I turned around and went back to get a room for the night. After checking in and unloading the bags from our bike we opened the door to our room and were completely amazed. The room was absolutely gorgeous. The next morning I went out to check on the bike and the views were amazing. I met and older gentleman who asked how I liked our room and he informed me that his granddaughter and her husband were the managers. I couldn't believe that we were right on the ocean. The breakfast that they served in the morning for their guests was over the top. We are already planning on going back next year and bringing some friends with us. I would highly recommend this establishment to anyone. Two thumbs up!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Azriders
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed just one night, but wish we could have stayed longer. We definitely would return to Surf Inn!
Heather at the desk is so very amiable and helpful. Her husband Mike makes a wonderful full breakfast each morning. Our room was exceptionally clean (kudos to the housekeepers!) and comfortable. Not to mention hearing the waves of the ocean to sleep by - what more could one ask for?! I also really appreciated the little touches of decorating the exterior that the owner has done. GREAT job by a GREAT team!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lori N
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We spent two nights there. The management team Mike and Heather made us feel very comfortably and relaxed. The room was just great large,roomy and comfortable. Also it was nice and quiet. We will diffently be back. It is pet friendly, plus the ocean view is great. Once again thanks Mike and Heather, already planning our next trip up there.

Room Tip: Any room is good
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carol R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
The Wharf Master's Inn
The Wharf Master's Inn
#1 of 2 in Point Arena
Whale Watch Inn by the Sea

Been to Surf Motel? Share your experiences!