“Wonderful little motel”
Review of Surf Motel

Surf Motel
Ranked #1 of 7 Gualala B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Room is on the small side and.... the beach is right at the edge of the parking lot, bed had a pillow top, comfy big bathtub, full breakfast included (sausage, eggs, waffles, scones), coffee, free wifi in the rooms. I was going to arrive after the office had closed, and they left very clear instructions to find the key to the room, and Jordan was very friendly when I called the emergency number at 9:30 for the wifi password. This is a great find, in my opinion.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MargoHeartDancing
Surfmotelowner, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

I am so glad we were able to meet your lodging needs and then some. As a dad, when you called out Jordan's name I was so proud, she is my oldest, wonderful to know she is doing a great job.

You have made my day in so many ways.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed twice in the ocean suite and loved it. Comfy bed, beautiful view of the ocean and river, nicely furnished. We are returning again this week for the third time in 2 months. The morning complementry breakfast and conversation with Eric our host was always pleasant. It has turned into our special place on the coast.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and get one of the ocean view rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martha P

Thank you for your kind review, Our Motto " A return visit is the kindest compliment you can give us".

Sincerely

Reviewed March 18, 2012

This is a late review, I stayed here in July of last year and am considering staying again this coming summer. I made a reservation months before arriving. The night I was to arrive I was coming in quite late so called ahead from a gas station at about 7:00pm to make sure we would have no problem checking in. The nice lady answering the phone advised that the front desk was closed but she would leave a key in a handy place so I could let myself in. I understand this place is not part of a chain so they do not have a front desk open late. I arrived about 11-12pm and the key was where they said it would be. Attached to the key was a note saying that there was some miscommunication with my credit card and they were unable to process it but we could straighten it out in the morning. When we viewed the room we were struck by the nice size and everyone loved the pillowtop beds, we stayed in at least 11 places, and this was the place with the best beds. The breakfast was also one of the better ones we encountered. This is a free breakfast don't forget, if anyone says they are disappointed with the breakfast they should have their head examined. Nice deserted beach below the hotel. Kitchen facilities were included in our room. The only complaint I would mention was that the motel charged me for the room long before I arrived and again when I stayed there. I didn't realize this until later. When I called in to advise of this the charge was reversed swiftly, paperwork is not their strong suit.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Surfmotelowner, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2012

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you. So sorry we did not get your paperwork correct, I will check with Brie are Manager to see just what happened.

Looking foward to a repeat visit and as promised in an early management posting, we have finished the instalation of the new hardwood floors in the kitchen units,

Reviewed January 9, 2012

The price and location was great! Some of the rooms have a lovely view of the ocean and the river and there is a path along the hotel to see the view. But our room was old, dirty and the mattresses were uncomfortable. There was a moldy, damp odor coming from the heater.
The staff was friendly and they had a full breakfast included in the price.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kaylou90
Surfmotelowner, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2012

Thank you so much for your review, will look into the problem with the mold smell.

Your Humble Servant

Eric

Reviewed December 15, 2011

I walked in at the last minute looking for a room. I was pleasantly suprised by the Surf Motel. I knew it wasn't goint to be a top of the lone hotel. I knew I was checking into an old MOTEL and needed no frills. I was impressed with the updates and was blown away with the free breakfast. The staff was exceptionally helpful and nice. The only improvment would be to get rig of the feather beds. I will definetly stay there again if im in town.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank iowatraveler100

Your kind remarks are our gauge on how we are doing and it makes me feel good to know we are working in the right direction. Just a thought on the feather beds or better yet a questions did my staff members offer to remove them at check inn ?

Thanks again.

Reviewed September 24, 2011

We knew it wasn't going to be the Four Seasons when it's a motel, so our expectations were reasonable, but given the review here, we were left with a bit of a bad taste about the place.

The main bedroom has been updated and painted, and as you can see in my photo, looks plenty nice. They use modern electronic keys which could be easy to lose so be careful about that. The other nice thing was breakfast, it's detailed on their website and wasn't bad for a continental breakfast. The owner is certainly pleasant to deal with and friendly.

Whomever tried to renovate this old motel really was lazy about it. The kitchenette has the old cabinets, the fridge had both doors installed on the wrong side so you can barely open them. They cover the oven sheets in foil, but don't leave you any foil to use yourself for cooking (and frankly I don't know how old that foil is on there already, so I'd want to put NEW foil on before cooking on it.) That brings me to the other thing - they include plates, silverware, cookware, etc., but it's just hand-washed by previous guests. That's pretty disgusting. I know they don't clean it themselves, because they admonish you to clean up your own dishes or be charged $20 an hour if they have to touch it.

That was very off-putting, so I had to hand-wash everything we used TWICE, once before we used it, and then afterwards so I avoided the charge. But how to dry these plates? Toilet paper I guess. There was no paper towels or napkins anywhere. A serious oversight here. We need paper goods when cooking. How much would that cost - a roll of paper towels per week.... seriously..

Back to the lazy updating, they had clearly repainted everything, but the hinges on the bathroom door were SO unbelievable rusty that there was a 1-inch rust haze around each hinge. And the bathroom... sigh. The faucets must have been 30 years old. How much is a new faucet for an updated motel? $20?

The carpet was filthy - my wife wore socks on it for five minutes and they were disgustingly black. We had to lay the bathroom towels on the floor just to walk around and not ruin our feet or socks.

Finally, the beds. They talked about how they had "European feather beds" on them, but it's obvious they are just trying to avoid buying new mattresses for this old place. They weren't comfortable, they lumped in the center so you either slept right in the middle on them or you were rolled off the bed basically.

The good thing about this place is that it's right on the water, so we walked to the edge at sunset and enjoyed a nice moment there.

There are two grocery stores within easy walking distance, which is a relief for this small town with no real restaurants to speak of.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andre S
Surfmotelowner, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2011

We are in your debt and thank you for allowing us to try to make our guest experience better, in light of that be assured we have taken the following action.

1. October 24, 2011 we be installing new Electric Fireplace heaters
2. New sheets will be arriving October 23, 2011
3 .Not sure when you stayed but we did have the carpets cleaned by Milner Carpets on September 24, 2011. With our single level parking in front of the guest rooms and small brush mats we do strive to keep this clean
4. Our Kitchen suites are older, but they should be functional and I will follow up on the fridge door access you noted

Our charge for cleaning dishes stems from folks abusing this, the policy helps to keep maids cost down and allow us to offer a valued based stay. We do provide 2 Clean Dish towels as your picture show hanging on the handle of the oven door and this is why we do not provide paper towels.

As for our “European feather beds” , it is a 90/10 rule, 90% Love them and 10% Hate them and it has nothing to do with the beds needing replacement which is why we explain at check in if you do not like them we will remove them, we want you to have a great night rest, that’s our job.

Thanks again, we always want to do the right thing.

Eric R. Cogdill Owner

Reviewed September 23, 2011

Booked this as a one night stopover on the way back to San Francisco airport and wished we had more time. The location is great with cliff top views of the sea and sunset and easy access to a short cliff top walk. The breakfast was way above average with a pleasant seating area outside as well as inside. The reception staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Externally the motel has plants and flowers with accompanying hummingbirds as well as attractive decorations with a seaside theme. The rooms were quite small and ours was a bit dark but the bed was very comfortable and there was a fridge and microwave in a large wardrobe in the quite spacious bathroom (sounds odd but it was a reasonable arrangement). There were plenty of good places to eat within walking distance (Bones Roadhouse did a good lunch!) and liked Gualala very much especially Gualala Point State Park. Overall enjoyed our stay a lot.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TyrelleTravellers

So sorry to all of the readers for not responding sooner to this and the one above it, Just got back form celebrating 32 years of marriage.

My wife and I, want to thank you for your thoughts and kind words, we hope to have you as our guest soon on a repeat visit.

Please, we also want to know when we miss the mark as well and if it is in our power to do so, we will make it right.

Doing the right thing matter to us.

The Cogdill’s

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
#3 of 7 in Gualala
The Wharf Master's Inn
The Wharf Master's Inn
#1 of 2 in Point Arena

Been to Surf Motel? Share your experiences!