“Peaceful weekend away”

Whale Watch Inn by the Sea
Ranked #2 of 7 Gualala B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 12, 2008

My companion and I recently (November, 2008) spent three days at the Inn and had a wonderful time. Our room was the Cygnet. Smaller than some of the others it still presented us with a fantastic view of the ocean. I luxuriated in being able to open my eyes in the morning and watch the morning dawn on the crashing surf.
Our room had a skylight over the bed where we could view the pines. One morning we watched the rain, one morning the fog and on the third were greeted by the sun.
Rooms are comfortable. The architecture of high ceilings and muted colors gives the feeling of spaciousness. The fireplace was always stocked with wood. A much enjoyed feature at the end of the day.
The grounds are very well maintained with pathways bordered by a variety of flowering plants. An easily managed stairway leads to a secluded beach.
The breakfast was tasty and more than adequate. We usually didn't feel the need to eat again until dinner. The only negative part of the experience stemmed from with our special dietary requests. While the hosts wrote down our needs the staff had a difficult time getting it straight.
Local dinning leaves a lot to be desired. On our last night we drove to Sea Ranch. The food, view and our waitress made up for our previous meals. However, the manager that night colored the evening with his sarcastic undertone used with us and the hostess.
Both my companion and I agreed that we would like to return to the Inn but would stay in one of the suites that have a small kitchen. The money spent on dinning out would have covered the difference in the cost of the room.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank timcls

Reviewed September 28, 2008

This is my first review and I would liked to thank all the other reviewers who e-mailed me back and helped me make the decision to stay here. I was concerned about some of the mixed reviews and since I don't get a chance to get away much - I really can't afford to make a bad decision. I am happy to say I did not!

Where to start... Location: Unique secluded Bed and Breakfast Inn on a cypress tree-lined bluff overlooking the ocean and rugged coastline with steps leading down to a private beach - Breathtaking!

The rooms: Loved the rooms and the views in the Pacific Edge (main building). We arrived early and our host Gretchen greeted us with a complimentary glass of wine and happily showed us around the place. With the help of another reviewer the rooms can be described as follows: Pacifica ($300) - may have the best views, huge tub for 2 w/view, spacious, private, window bench seat (also most expensive room). Silver Mist ($280) - also nice views, spacious, nice furnishings, a host favorite but view from the big tub is partially blocked. If cost is no object, I would go for either of these luxurious upstairs rooms.
We stayed in the Cypress Room ($230), like the other two it is the third room located right between the above mentioned rooms, but costs less because it only has a one person jucuzzi tub instead of a two-person one - But had atleast the same or better views, especially from the elevated bed level. Loved it!

The other rooms in this bldg. include two 2-level suites ($280) The Bath Suite: interesting upstairs tub for two, but view is more limited and the room exits directly to the lobby and did not appear to be as private as the other Country French Suite located further from the lobby. For the same price, I think the upstairs Silver Mist Room is a better choice. The Rose Room ($220) was nice, but for $10 more, the upstairs Cypress room is Definately worth it. I would have to say the same for the Showcase Room ($250) too.

I also liked the rooms in the quaint Quest Bldg. The downstairs Ocean Sunrise Room ($250) or the similiar - but better upstairs view of the Crystal Sea Room ($270): both have terrific views down the coast but a bit of road noise despite the sounds of the surf since it is located further back from the Pacific Edge Bldg and closer to Hwy 1.

I did not see the rooms in the Sea Bounty Bldg. or Cygnet House but they are also located back further and I don't believe enjoy as good of views or peaceful seclusion as the Pacific Edge Bldg. rooms.

The rooms in the Whale Watch Bldg: Cliffside ($180) and Morning Light rooms ($190) are much smaller, basic rooms with great views located close to the ocean, good if you're on a budget and still want to enjoy the Whale Watch.

What is also great about this place, besides the delicious hot breakfasts delivered to your room, the fireplaces (in all the rooms) already prepaired for you to light, and the views from every room is the fact that if you only have a chance to get away for one night, this place can accomodate you, something that is hard to find. We hope to make it atleast a yearly tradition!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank long2getaway
Reviewed September 24, 2008

My wife and I visited Whale Watch Inn on the occasion of our 12th wedding anniversary and our experience was spectacular! Our hosts greeted us at the evening wine and cheese tasting and suggested various restaurants and attractions nearby. Our room was beautiful with a stunning ocean view.
We encourage other couples to enjoy the same experience.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank dickferrante
Reviewed September 22, 2008

The Whale Watch Inn is a beautifully cozy bed & breakfast along the coast. The owners, Kazie and Jim, take great care of everything - especially their guests.
On our arrival (Sat.) they were having the wine and cheese hour and Kazie was there to pour the wine with a big smile and loads of information on the Inn as well as the area. The Inn is perched on the cliff overlooking it's own inlet with a view that stretches down the coast. The decks off of each room afford a perfect place to enjoy your breakfast each morning and are the spot of choice for the afternoon or evening to relax, read a book or just watch and listen to the waves roll in.
The gardens surrounding the Inn are vibrant and lush. There is a seating area just before the stairs that take you down to the beach where you'll find a nice sandy beach with many spots to explore.
The complimentary breakfasts were delicious and varied, picture perfect and a delight. Throughout the day they serve (complimentary) coffee and teas in the lobby/ lounge where you can sit by the fire while looking out to sea or even engage other guests in conversation or perhaps a board game.
We found the Whale Watch Inn exceeding our expectations at every turn. The rooms are beautifully decorated. The luxurious bath, plush sitting chairs, very comfortable bed and the soft carpeting leading to the fireplace and the deck made for a romantic experience that was unforgetable.
When you find yourself in need of pampering and time away with your special someone the Whale Watch Inn is the place to be - ANY time of the year.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TandP
Reviewed August 1, 2008

This Inn was an amazing escape for my wife and I on our one year anniversary.

There is nothing quite like falling asleep to the waves crashing and the fire in he fireplace crackling. Then to be awoken by breakfast in the room and the scent of pines and eucalyptus filling the air on the patio overlooking the sea is incomparable. Not to mention the two person jacuzzi tub on the second floor of the suite!
All in all, it was a wonderful escape and everything and more of what we were looking for.

We hope to make the 2500 mile journey back sooner rather than later.
Check this place out!!!

Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank mrbuss9
Reviewed July 13, 2008

After an extensive search for a cozy, romantic place to spend a few nights on the California Pacific coast, we hit the jackpot when we found the Whale Watch Inn. The Inn can best be described as a secluded, well kept, idyllic spot off the beaten path, high on a bluff overlooking the Pacific coast line.
The owner Kazie (a Japanese doll) welcomed us with a delicious glass of wine, showed us around the property and then directed us to our adorable suite called the Country French Room. It was the perfect setting: a comfortable bed on the lower level with a small terrace offering a beautiful view of the rugged coastline, and a spiral staircase to a cute living room with a great fire place.
Both mornings, we were served a delicious breakfast, brought directly to our room, exactly at the time requested. There is no television, but we were perfectly happy to spend our evenings cozying up in front of the fire. If you are looking for a place that offers comfort, peace and tranquility we highly recommend the Whale Watch Inn. We hope to be back during whale watching season.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WORLDWIDETRVLR
Reviewed June 12, 2008

I have been to the Whale Watch Inn 3 times during the past year. I had such a great time last Saturday night, I thought I would write. Besides every room have a private deck , fireplace and it's own private view of the ocean, they do this Saturday night wine and cheese gathering in the one communcal room, call the Whale Room. It is huge with a kitchen and a big fireplace in the middle with couches, tables and chairs etc. This is where I always meet some of the nicest, most interesting couples and single people ever. Last weekend, they had local divers there that dove for fresh abalone, the owner sauteed and made sushi out of it. It was wonderful. They are always so accomodating. I would recommend this place to anyone, single or couples. Great to get away and destress, or to have the romantic weekend. Have done both, and loved it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank Tiburonclg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
The Elk Cove Inn & Spa
Gualala Country Inn
Gualala Country Inn
#5 of 7 in Gualala

Been to Whale Watch Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!