“Not worth the price” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Gualala B&B and Inns
Marysville, California
“Not worth the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Whale watch inn for our one year anniversary. We checked in on Friday afternoon. The hostess showed us around and offered us wine. She showed us I believe the whale watching room. It had a large fireplace in the middle with a circular couch around it. They also had a kitchen in there with books and board games.

My wife wanted to surprise me about our trip so I didn't know where our room was. To my surprise our room wasn't in the main check in "house" it was outside on a second floor,what looked like an apartment.

The room wasn't much to look at, queen sized bed that was hard. The shower/jacuzzi tub would barely fit one person and has not been updated since the 90's. No television set (I know, your suppose to get away) or phone or even a Bible. There was a small ice machine, but no refrigerator. The best feature was the fireplace that was pre-loaded with wood and fire starters.

Breakfast was served right on time and delivered to our room. The food was awesome. We both were served quiche, fruit bowl with yogurt, a home baked blueberry muffin served with some kind of fruit butter. We chose coffee with creamer and orange juice. The orange juice was more of a shot, than a drink.

After breakfast we received a call about our son and we needed to leave. We spoke to one of the managers and told her our situation. She at first said we could not get refunded because they do not do that. Then offered to use the one night we already paid for and we can use that in the future. After going back on forth, she finally gave us the credit for the second night.

This review was based on the room itself and my overall experience with the staff. Would I stay here again? Unless they have a screaming deal, no.

Room Tip: From what I know, the main office "house" are where the suites are located.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Thegame2k3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I loved the entire experience at the Whale Watch Inn. We did not see any whales but if they were out there we would have had a great view so I am sure we did not miss anything. What we did not miss: We had the "Love Song Suite". We enjoyed--Fine linens, soft silky too! Wonderful views and hot tub. We decided to take the nicest suite with the hot tub and fireplace. (My friend paid but I know the prices were reasonable)))). The shower, sitting area and entire room was spacious, clean and lovely. The views were divine. It is set back off the cliff tho not right on the water edge cliffs. They have wine and cheese at sunset. The staff was lovely and omg! The gourmet breakfast was the Most Delicious french toast, creme fresh on fruit salad and muffins that can not be surpassed. Truly! The whole experience was over the top of our expectations! I even took my dog and for $40 you can have your pet! The best experience! Will go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Whale Watch Inn for our wedding anniversary.
We spent the weekend in the Lovesong room. Very comfy new bed, nice fireplace, great view of the ocean, nice hot tub, breakfast brought to you every morning...

Yeah, it was nice.

We were told the bed we had was just put in there 2 days prior. Nice to know, especially after reading those journals other guests have written in. Some romantic, some funny, some... um... boastful. Hopefully, they clean the hot tub after each guest, too. :)

They give you plenty of wood and starter chips for the fireplace, and if you run out, just ask for more.

The view from the bed was great, and from the deck, even better. You could sit in the hot tub and look out at the ocean, or sleep with the sliding door open, and listen to the ocean.

Nice bathroom. Shower only, but who uses a tub anymore? If you want to soak, there's the hot tub. Room for two in the bathroom, and plenty of drawers and counter space for your stuff.

I'm not much of a breakfast person, but my wife enjoyed the breakfasts.

We popped in for the wine and cheese, in the whale watch room, but there were no whales, and the wine was from Stockton!?!? Grabbed some salame, had a Coke, and went back to enjoy the room.

As for nearby eating, although some places might be considered walking distance, it's a dangerous walk on Highway One, so we always opted for the short drive.

Great place. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sonomamon
Northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Yes, it's up the coast- at least an hour after you get to Bodega. I happen to have a sports car, so while my wife held on we "played" a bit and had some fun. We all need to get away from the computer emails, the TV set, and the daily errands once in a while, and this place was perfect. The staff was superb, and took VERY GOOD care of us from start to finish. The rooms in the main house sit 15 feet from the cliff, and we left the door and window open at night and slept to the sounds of the surf. Breakfast both mornings was excellent and filling, and delivered to the room within 30 seconds of the requested time. We climbed a spiral staircase to get to our private jacuzzi that has its own set of windows looking out over the ocean (called the Bath Suite). The room was clean, the water hot, the towels and robes soft, the bed quite comfortable, and we started a fire both nights. We would recommend Cove Azul for dinner, about 6-7 minutes down the road. If the ocean calls to you and rejuvenates you as it does us, then don't miss this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tr4par
Windsor, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Having read about it for years, and driving by it for decades, we finally decided to to give the Whale Watch Inn a try. Wow! It's now my new favorite for accomodations on the Northern California coast.
Just past the town of, and with a view of, Anchor Bay, we spent the night in the Cliffside Room. Check-in was a breeze and included a welcoming glass of wine and a property tour. The "office" was like entering a calming, aromatherapy, spa and the low-playing music added to the ambience. Our room was on one the side of a communal area that was available for our use. With board games, a small library, a circular fireplace ready to light and a western wall of windows overlooking the sea, it added so much more to our experience. This is also the room where your complimentary breakfast is served. Breakfast...mmmm. As a Valentine's Day surprise, we were served fruit crepes, granola with fruit in yogurt, heart-shaped scones along with juice and coffe and - ta da! - a split of brut. How nice is that?!
This has just jumped to the top of my places to stay list. It's going to be hard to beat.

Room Tip: Don't expect cell coverage, or television or telephones - you won't get and, if you relax, y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank katyscat
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Swan Room this trip. It is a beautiful, quiet, peaceful room. The breakfasts were awesome!! If you are looking for someplace to get to get away from it all, this is your place!

Room Tip: The Swan room is a large, quiet room. The downside is it is further away from the ocean and nearer t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Where do I begin? Its started with the reservation, I asked for a room and told them we had a 70lb dog. They thought the room i requested was to small for a large dog and offered an upgrade for the same price. When we arrived the late night innkeeper was more than helpful with getting us checked in and a glass of wine in hand before even showing us our room. Got to our room and the fire place was loaded and ready to light. Next morning great breakfast was served to our room. Left for the day to shop and hike and came back to cheese, crackers, salami and wine. What more can you ask for, you are treated like royalty. Great experience.

Room Tip: Anything on the second floor has better view or the largest rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Livindalife28
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
#3 of 7 in Gualala
Gualala Country Inn
Gualala Country Inn
#5 of 7 in Gualala

Been to Whale Watch Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!