“Wonderful weekend”
Review of St. Orres

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gualala
St. Orres
Ranked #4 of 7 Gualala B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our two-night stay in the Pine Haven cottage at St. Orres. This was our first time to the area, and this hotel definitely contributed to the fun weekend we had.

First, we are grateful to St. Orres for being dog friendly. We enjoyed being greeted by the four St. Orres dogs when we checked in.

Pros:
A variety of cottages to choose from, some in the Russian design which was fun and interesting. There was a sense of privacy.
The St. Orres restaurant was wonderful, but very expensive, so be prepared
The very thoughtful and delicious breakfast was left at the cottage door (just a knock and away they went, you didn't have to let them in)
You can hear Sea Lions barking from the cottage
Loved seeing deer eating under the apple tree just after sunset and before sunrise
We loved walking the Bluff Trail starting at Gualala Point Regional Park, visiting Fort Ross, the Annapolis Winery, and the Sea Ranch Chapel.

Suggested improvements:
The lack of a TV was disappointing, but even worse was the lack of cellular service, or even Wi-Fi. So research everything before you go! We had to drive to Point Arena to connect to the internet which we use contantly
Our cottage needed to have the carpets cleaned, or better yet replaced with tile or hardwood floor
We didn't see any outside garbage can for the dog poop bag, but we left it by the front door and it was taken away when the cottage was cleaned

Thank you, St. Orres, we had a lovely time!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PTown4545

Reviewed June 9, 2012

If you want an escape and are looking for woods and peace and quiet, fresh air, yet you also want nice and clean accommodations, linen tables and a five star dining experience - this is the place!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank diametryk
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stopped by on a stay in Gualala to book a table here and my husband went in to be greeted by a grumpy owner...looking into the dining room he spotted the owners dogs sat ON the laid up tables...needless to say we didn't book a table for a meal!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Becky W
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My husband and I have enjoyed dinners at Saint Orres since the early 90’s. Last Saturday May 5th we made reservations at 08:15 to celebrate our wedding anniversary and it was a shame that the service has changed to be a disappointment. Saint Orres is no longer the star of the north and the staff is more incline to keep moving around without paying attention to details as empty glasses of water.
The bread was served without providing olive oil or butter which I had to ask for it. My dinner was paella and I will say they just put the clams in the microwave and added blend soupy rice. My husband pheasant was chewy and lack on flavor. The time for us to wait for the entrée would have been enough to give us a succulent dinner and instead we skip dessert to avoid a mediocre place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ofelia V
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This was our third trip to St. Orres. Every cabin is different and we have stayed in a different one each time. Each cabin has its own charms and issues. The bed was very comfortable, the breakfast is not exciting, but is adequate and you can have it while still in your bathrobe. The cabins are a sufficient distance apart for privacy. The grounds are extensive, heavily wooded and pleasant to walk through. Our cabin this time, Rose Cottage, has an ocean view and a view of the main building. The shower/tub would not do for anyone who is short and not too agile. (Fortunately I go to Pilates regularly.) Also, my husband had to turn the valve on at the top of the shower as the regular valve needs to be replaced, so they are relying on the other valve to shut the water down to a slow drip. The most memorable feature of the cottage is the octagonal window high up over the bed. It looks out into the woods and frames the trees on the hill behind.

Our cabin the previous time was smaller, less expensive, with a view of the woods and noise from the spa machinery. We enjoyed our stay but will not chose any of the cabins near the spa building again.

It was an easy walk down to the restaurant, but I couldn't recommend eating there, though we always do. Our first dinner at the restaurant, back in its glory days, was fabulous. Other diners would stop and turn to look as your food was served because it was so special. Now they have very amateur staff (our waitress was wearing strong perfume, obviously pushing the wine, and seemed more used to dealing with children than adults) who try really hard. The food comes from the kitchen looking attractive, but not tasting like it looks. My scallops were as gritty as could be. But the room is spectacular, and I recommend going there while it is still light to enjoy the stained glass and the great height of the ceiling.

If you want to stay someplace with privacy, beautiful grounds, unique and unusual cabins and proximity to exceptionally beautiful coast line, this is the place. It won't remind you of a motel. We will be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chaunie L
Reviewed March 31, 2012

My husband and I our first magical B&B vacation flying into the airport above this hotel, then hiking down to it. We decided it was the right place for our wedding -- a very small event. You can rent a house with additional rooms, so everyone can be together, if you like. And the restaurant is a perfect place to end the day - the food is always awesome.

Room Tip: Simply look at each one to match your desires with your room. There aren't bad ones, just diffe...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Denise K
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night in the Sea Pines cabin. $155 per night, includes breakfast for two. The toilet, however, didn't operate properly. It took a really long time for the toilet to refill the tank and bowl. When it finally did refill, the water kept running in the tank. I had to turn the main valve on and off, and check the water level, every time the toilet was utilized. I did not bring this problem to the front desk, immediatey, as we just had a long drive to Gualala and had unloaded our car. I figured I'd just deal with it. Moreover, you have to drive to the cabin's location, which is an 1/8 mile down the highway from the front desk. The next morning, I tried to turn on the shower. The shower didn't work. A slight trickle of water came out of the spout. The front desk apologized and refunded all the charges for our stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cal1990
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualala
Sea Ranch Lodge
#1 of 7 in Gualala
Gualala Country Inn
Gualala Country Inn
#5 of 7 in Gualala

Been to St. Orres? Share your experiences!