“Pretty-but not alot to do”

Windermere House Resort & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Windermere
woodbridge, ontario
“Pretty-but not alot to do”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed one night, the hotel is beautiful, rooms are very nice & clean. I have a bit of a germ phobia & felt comfortable at the windermere. We had breakfast & dinner at the hotel & the food was very good. Although, it was a short stay, I found there wasn't much to do. They do have small sandy beach area, however no lounge chairs are provided by the beach. The pool has the loungers for obvious reasons. I wouldn't be able to stay there for more than a night or two, because they lack activities. So I rate the hotel 5 star, just not much to do other than the pool & beach with no chairs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jefferye17, Guest Relations Manager at Windermere House Resort & Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Beachlover,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Windermere House on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback on the hotel itself, however we apologize no one informed you of the activities that were available to you while you were here. For future reference please visit the "Seeing Muskoka" section on our website. Some activities are free and offered through the hotel and others can be arranged for you at the front desk.

www.windermerehouse.com/Seeing-Muskoka-and-Other-Area-Attractions/

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back, so you can enjoy the local activities in and around the Windermere area.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had already written a great review. We just stayed over July 1/13 weekend. Well, I left my bathing suit (favourite one) and a t-shirt. They were kind enough to mail it back to me and I received it today!
I have never rec'vd this kind of personalized service
Well done to the staff of Windermere Resort

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Richard,

We were happy to do it! We look forward to welcoming you back soon we hope!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Better than the website;very close to the lake but up above it so great view. Nice variety of bars and eating areas. Not much of a pool, tennis court, canoes included. Golf a sand wedge away, okay maybe a pitching wedge and reasonably priced. Food and drink pricing reasonable; on The Verandah at least. Rooms well appointed. We were travelling as two couples,we all loved it here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kenneth254
Dear Kenneth,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your stay. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Thornton
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Everything was amazing from the drive up to the view. The rooms were lovely. Beautifully appointed and comfortable. All the food in the restaurants was great and the staff outstanding....attentive and professional but easy to chat to at the same time.
We had a very relaxing 2 days but in all fairness it was not busy at all and we like that. I imagine when summer is in full swing or there is a wedding, it gets quite noisy.
The only thing I would say as a negative is that the bath towels and pool towels were unacceptable. The pool towel I had was worn with a hole in it. The bands on the bath and hand towels were severely shrunken from washing and difficult to use. We did have one new towel the first day which was lovely and soft but they need to replace all those others.
The same shrunken towels were even in the beautiful posh bathrooms of the fractional cottages. The person that showed us the cottage said she thought they were supposed to be that way...nope !

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judith H
Jefferye17, Guest Relations Manager at Windermere House Resort & Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Judith,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Windermere House on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback on the towels. We are going through them so that no future guests have the same problems. We apologize for that.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you again at some point in the future.

Thanks again.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 5, 2013

First off, the wedding I attended at Windermere House was exceptional, especially the gorgeous room for the ceremony. However, the overall experience of the hotel itself was poor on almost every count.

The room itself was beautiful (though my "garden view" consisted of a paved road and some bushes). The bed was too soft for my liking, but that's only based on a personal preference.

The staff did their job - but nothing above and beyond that. I did not feel especially welcomed or treated warmly. In fact, most of the staff seemed smug, put-upon, and even standoffish (except for one young gentleman, dressed impeccably, who seemed to be a manager of sorts).

The breakfast was good, but my coffee and water had a pungent, repugnant odor and taste (as did all the water I experienced during my stay). Without exaggeration, they smelled almost like sewage.

Speaking of water, the water in the shower would repeatedly trickle down to nothing. I had to wait for at least a minute each time it stopped in order for it to turn on again and heat up to a bareable temperature. This happened two days in a row, so it wasn't a fluke.

The worst part of the trip was the unexpected 7% "Service Charge" at the end, which was entirely unacceptable. Why should I have to pay for access to the pool, tennis courts, etc. when a) I was there for a wedding and did not have time to utilize these amenities and b) by definition, hotel amenities are supposed to be benefits that come with staying at the hotel? I, in no way, should have to pay extra for them, especially if I didn't even use them.

Disappointing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mikeybelcher
Jefferye17, Guest Relations Manager at Windermere House Resort & Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Mikeybelcher,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your experience at the Windermere House. We appreciate all feedback we receive as it helps us improve for future guests. I want you to know that I've passed along your comments regarding the staff, water, and the service charge to the General Manager of the hotel so she is aware. She is currently reviewing your comments with the different Managers of the hotel so that we can improve on them right away.

I'm glad the wedding was a success, and you enjoyed your time at that event.

If there is anything else we can assist with, please contact the hotel directly. We hope that despite your negative experience we will be able to welcome you to the Windermere House again in the future.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

A dinner in the Windermere House dining room is an excellent experience . Four generations of our family has dined at WH since the late 19th century.
Guests should be warned that the dining room charges a $ 25 per bottle " corkage " fee ( including screwtops ) just to take a bottle from the dining room.
This is an outrage bit of opportunistic greed from the Oliver and Bonicini crowd.

Selby Martin
14 Burnham Rd
mselbye750@rogers.com

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank TorontoSelby
Dear TorontoSelby,

We have received your review regarding the corkage fees with Oliver & Bonacini. I want you to know that I've forwarded your review to the Food & Beverage Manager at the resort so she is aware of your feedback. I'd like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your concerns, so that we can improve for future guests.

We look forward to having you dine with us again at some point in the future.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Came to Windermere for a spa experience - massage and facial. The women's change rooms are terrible... small, grimy, not a lot of security in terms of the lockers. Plus, they are on a different floor than the rest of the spa. Very questionable.

However, the spa services itself are fantastic. Very professional and extremely nice. The quality of the services are 5 star indeed.

One watch-out: be careful of the recommended products to purchase. They are extraordinarily expensive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TorontoNd25
Dear TorontoNd25,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Sanctuary Spa at the Windermere House. I want you to know that I've passed your comments along to the Manager of the Sanctuary Spa so that she is aware of your feedback. We appreciate any feedback so that we can improve our facility for future guests.
We hope to welcome you back to the Windermere House at some point in the future.

Kind Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Port Severn
Hidden Valley Resort
Hidden Valley Resort
#4 of 18 in Huntsville

Been to Windermere House Resort & Hotel? Share your experiences!