“Not a bad place, nice room for price, would stay here again. Good free breakfast.”

Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Grover Beach
Reviewed May 6, 2009

We got this place randomly on Priceline for a low price. It's a two-star hotel and we are used to 3+ star hotels but none were available in Pismo so we decided to chance it. We were prepared for the worst but were pleasantly surprised.

The room was clean, AC worked fine, fireplace was cool, and the bed was comfortable. We ate dinner at the attached restaurant (AJ Spurs) and had a great time. The food is fantastic and the servers were fun. Plus hotel guests get a 10% discount coupon.

For negatives, there was a funky smell in the second floor elevator area, and the jacuzzi was not working. Both were minor inconveniences.

I give the hotel owners BIG credit for not tearing down a beautiful giant oak tree that's obviously been there for at least 100 years. They built a nice walkway around it on the path to the restaurant. I've attached a picture.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area

Reviewed January 4, 2009

This must have been the "Grover Beach Motel" or "Quaint Seaside Inn" or whatever a long time ago. The place is clearly OLD and in need of renovations, despite Holiday Inn's attempts at making it look newish on the surface.

My room was large enough, but what's the use if you can't be comfortable in it. The very worst was I couldn't adjust the climate in the room. It was a bit chilly, and when I went to look for the heating/cooling unit, I finally found it ON THE UPPER WALL, near the window, like those boxy 1970s half inside/half outside A/C units. It looked so dusty and gross I didn't want to touch it, but I was freezing so I attempted. It sputtered, and I couldn't get the thing to work and it creeped me out cause it was so dusty and rickety. When was that filter last changed?!?! I don't even know if it had a heat feature. There were no extra blankets, so I just wore some extra clothes to bed.

There is no fitness room here. I chose this location because my travel agency site said there is. Oddly enough tripadvisor indicates there is a fitness room as well. Well, there is none. There used to be, I was told by the girl at the front desk, but no more. So be aware.

The TV had limited channels, and the rugs are reallllyyyy dark brown, adding to the 1970s vibe and you wonder what stains lurk... Is it clean? I dunno... that gross wall heating/cooling unit wasn't. Yuk!

The breakfast was sub par. You'll probably just leave with a coffee and yogurt as everything else was pretty lame.

I will definitely be looking at other nearby options next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank travelingrules
Reviewed December 30, 2008

Our room had several problems. The cable reception was TERRIBLE, couldn't watch the movie channels because there was so much interference. (Saw this was on another review from a previous year, so it must be an ongoing problem). Our in room fireplace didn't work & we were told we would be given a discount, however upon checkout were informed that they would not do it because the discount would be applied to a travel website. One walls power kept going out, causing the rooms alarm clock to keep resetting.

We left behind a sizeable piece of luggage (including x-mas gifts) & a cell phone charger plugged into the vanaty. The staff did not call us to inform us that our items had been left in the room or put them aside. Had they notified us we could have returned for them the same day or shortly after. When I called the next day we were told that housekeeping didn't "find" anything. I am disgusted with the treatment and dishonesty of the staff.

I am also irate that when I posted a travel review on the website we purchased the room thru... they edited my review & removed the information about my property being stolen and the staffs handling of the situation. I will not book my rooms thru this other website again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank garlicriden
Reviewed December 27, 2008

We only had the Holiday Inn express booked in Grover Beach as a quick stop over place on our travels. It actually turned out to be be one of the nicest places we stopped at on our holiday and the only place that gave you a complimentary breakfast!
The Holiday Inn was easy to find and our room was large, comfy, very clean, and a fridge too!! The receptionist was really helpful when we asked about places to eat. There isn't much to do in Grover beach or Pismo beach we had planned on hiring dune buggys & going on the beaches, but unfortunately the place had closed down and so it wasn't to be.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank The_Original_Bobo
Reviewed July 6, 2008

This hotel is of the expected standard of HIE - the room was of a good size and was clean, but was on the bottom floor of the block at a corner and the outside space was not much use (avoid these rooms if you want to use the balcony).

The pool is fine and breakfast is of the usual standard (acrid orange juice and some other rather odd items, but generally fine). This hotel did us very well and the beach is about 10 mins drive away.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mad_scotty_dog
Reviewed July 6, 2008

The rooms stink and bathrooms are unclean. I paid about $200 per room. Not at all worth staying. The hotel indicated that they are walking distance to the beach, which is not true. The breakfast is O.K. which is the only thing that is acceptable. In the same trip I stayed in Country Inn for $110 and it was far better in quality than the Holiday Inn Express

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank vij_8
Reviewed June 26, 2008

We were on our way up to Monterey from SoCal and decided to stop over in Grover Beach/Pismo area. Our first stop was a Motel 6...just because we were trying to stay on somewhat of a budget. We decided that we should look for a hotel rather than a motel and came across Holiday Inn Express just up the street. WOW....we were sure glad we found it. CLEAN, Large rooms with extra amenities....in room coffee, refrigerator, blow dryer, and comfortable beds. There was a great little breakfast downstairs......and best of all, It didn't even have a hotel smell....which was a huge bonus in itself. The price was very reasonable...it was only about 30 more than the Motel 6.

The only complaints we had were that the shower curtain rod had been bent...and the shower curtain wouldn't stay in place....also, it felt like an expensive hotel until you sat down on the cheap toilet seat (just being honest here). Other than that, we would definetely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
#11 of 29 in Pismo Beach
Best Western Casa Grande Inn
Best Western Casa Grande Inn
#1 of 5 in Arroyo Grande

Been to Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area? Share your experiences!