Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Grover Beach
Ocean City, Maryland
“A great stay”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

I was in the 2nd floor and it was great. The one problem I had was the traffic noise that came from the freeway. The another reason you can stay here is that hey have friendly staff and everyone is saying "Hi". I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Diana M
CentralCoastGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you so much for your comments Diana M, we greatly appreciate it and I'm happy to hear that our staff has been so friendly. We hope to have you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
California
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is nice and a very decent place to stay. The staff at the front desk was helpful and gave us a 10% off coupon for the steakhouse next door. The hotel is as they say, freeway close. But it's all good. I'd stay there again. The pool and jacuzzi are nice.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Herod L
Thank you Herod L, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and loved the AJ Spurs Steakhouse! We hope to have you back soon.
Diamond Bar, California
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband and I checked into this hotel over two weeks ago... and are still here! We were warmly greeted by Shelbi... and since then, Michelle, Dan, Carlos, Chad and all the housekeeping crew have been super-amazing to us! We came up for the birth of our granddaughter... after almost two weeks in the hotel, she arrived... we will stay longer to enjoy our granddaughter... it's so close to their home. The comfort and caring of the personnel at this hotel has been such a blessing to us. The General Manager, Sam, is amazing, too... he gets right in there, pitching in whenever/wherever needed, with an awesome personality! Thank you all for going above and beyond the call of duty in your graciousness!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Erma M
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I had a job in the area and surely wanted to get points for my long term hotel stay. There were other HI's in the area, and even a nearby Candlewood Suites, but a work partner chose this hotel, so I decided to try it for a week, and wound up staying longer. First of all, Grover Beach (near Pismo Beach) is on the water, but this hotel is no where near the beach. It is on an exit off highway 101. There are two buildings with rooms, and the office building is separate from them. I prefer to stay on the top floor at any hotel, to eliminate noise from above. I got that here, sometimes without asking. Usually, if there are 3 floors, the staff will (by direction, I assume) automatically assign you to a 2nd floor room, those being the least desirable. But on both buildings here, the main entrance is on the 2nd floor (the property is on a slope), so for people that don't want to use the elevator, that's the most desirable floor. I was in 4 separate rooms at this hotel, and tried both buildings (I worked a 5 day workweek and went home weekends). All rooms I stayed in were large, with an easy chair, ottoman, desk, two dressers, large bathroom with one sink inside and one outside the door. The bathroom doors were all very wide and swung out, so you were never cramped in them. Every room had a balcony, but most just looked onto a parking lot (remember, this is not near the water). But a sliding glass door to the outside is a major plus to me. The rooms all had mini fridges, and they worked well (even froze ice cream). But no in-room microwave. One in the office available, but that meant walking outside across the parking lot. The hotel has a neat outdoor pool, and hot tub that was usually hot (in February, I only use the hot tub). The hotel shares a parking lot with a steak house, and I understand it's pretty good. You could conceivably walk to other restaurants and stores, nearby, but I preferred to drive. Everything is nearby. Restaurants, grocery stores, drug stores, gas.
Bad points. If it were summer, I'd have the outside door open and I'm sure I'd hear road noise. But I stayed in the winter. No in-room microwaves. I did ask for one, two weeks in a row, but never got one. The hot tub was once turned off, but only once. I could only get a 2nd floor room one week, due to the fact that I checked in on Sunday's, and once it was during a 3-day weekend. There is only one ice-vending area in each building. You might have to go up or down to get ice. I heard that the elevator broke down in one building. That didn't affect me, but the elevator I did usually use sounded pretty bad. Main hotel parking lot entrance was on a hill and traffic flew up and down past that entrance pretty fast. You'd notice it if you went in and out as much as I did. There was no exercise room. You want to exercise? Fine, walk through town, there's lots of hills and sidewalks. Parking was OK but a bit cramped.

Good points. I loved the TVs. One HBO, but no in-room movies to buy. Plenty of other satellite channels. There was wide variation of TV sizes in the 4 rooms I stayed in, but all LCD type, and the neatest thing was you have full control. I could change the picture, no limit on the sound, and even the source (I hook up my computer to the TV if possible, and it is possible here). Wireless internet was good. They only required one login every 24 hours. I like the bathroom doors opening out. Baths and showers OK (stupid Holiday Inn sliver soap pieces were annoying, but not their fault). Room sizes were big, and the balcony was great.

I paid a corporate rate here, usually $90. The area has competition, but I'll bet the summer rates are much higher.

Would I come back? Sure. The staff was all great. No in-room microwaves and no exercise room brought it down one star, for me. But, I can recommend it.

Room Tip: One handicap room I was assigned to had a HUGE TV, and a fireplace. But others were OK. I'd ch...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Bill D
Concord, California
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The weekend we went there were several problems. The elevator was broken on the three days we were there. Bringing your luggage up several flights of stairs is no easy task. The Hallways smelled like homeless people lived in them? The staff was trying to fix the odor by opening up all the door and windows in the building. The Door handle broke off in my hand to the main entrance of the building. All the lights were miss matched soft white, white, bright, yellow it looked very tacky and strange. The A.C. units were super old and rusty looked like something from the 70s. The stair well was repaired with sheetrock compound but never painted just leaving the exposed joint compound. Where they decided to paint and repair they used paint that was similar but not the exact same leaving the walls looking like one big patch work project. The shower curtain was not long enough to keep the water off the floor which was creating floor damage. It looks like the repair guy just keeps adding caulk around the tub floor where the wall and floor is rotting. Just buy a longer curtain no caulk needed. There was no toilet seat lid just the seat, Very strange? The good, Breakfast was very good they have the coolest pancake maker that spits out pancakes at the press of a button. Fresh fruit, yogurt, breads, yummy sweet roles, sausage, eggs, cereal and more. The staff was really nice and were enjoyable to talk to. The room was very large and our bed was comfortable. So overall if you want a comfortable bed and great breakfast this is a good place to stay. Just hold your nose and have a good sense of humor regarding all the crazy attempts at repairs. Also keep your fingers crossed that the elevator works!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mark J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Mark J,

We appreciate you leaving a review on your recent stays with us. We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. I am deeply sorry for any issues you have encountered.

We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We will pass over you comments made to our Maintenance Manager in order to investigate further.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed here for one night. We were looking for a hotel right off the freeway and Holiday Inn Express fit our needs well. Parking and WiFi were free. Rooms were comfortable with two queen beds, a TV, a table, a refrigerator and a coffee machine. The friendly lady at the reception gave us bottles of drinking water and small packs of yogurt for our toddler - five stars for service. The breakfast was OK - bagels, biscuits, bread, eggs, bananas... would have loved a bit more variety

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karthik S
CentralCoastGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you Karthik S for your review, we love hearing that you had a great stay and that the service was of 5 Star quality! We, as a brand, are revamping our breakfast bar and adding more items to the menu to improve the guests overall experience. We hope that next time you are in the area that you come and see our new changes.

CA
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Initially I thought I was getting a property near the beach but found myself inland near Arroyo Grande and the 101 Freeway. I was not happy as I was going to be attending an event in Avila and wanted to stay near the ocean for the next morning's adventure. Surprise. . .not only did we have the best breakfast ever, with hot and cold food, but this very comfortable, quiet, and spacious lodging was near a butterfly grove filled with returning monarchs! Adventure fulfilled after a very comfortable night's sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
JanesSal, thank you so much for your Trip Advisor review. We are happy to hear that we surprised you with our hotel and our breakfast, which will be actually improving in the next few months. We hope that you'll come back soon and visit again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grover Beach
#7 of 29 in Pismo Beach
Best Western Casa Grande Inn
Best Western Casa Grande Inn
#1 of 5 in Arroyo Grande

Been to Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area? Share your experiences!