“Better than exppected from some reviews”

Yosemite Westgate Lodge
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Groveland
Washington DC
“Better than exppected from some reviews”
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Room clean, staff helpful and friendly, towels better than fine, no trace of ants/bugs. Restaurant right next door was OK .. this is Buck Meadows and not San Francisco. Location is deceptive. ....yes it is only 12 miles from the western entrance of Yosemite - a 15-20 minute ride but then you have 24 miles in the park on a 25 MPH road until you reach Yosemite Village where you get on the shuttle buses to see the park.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belgium
Reviewed December 7, 2008

After a bad experience at the Groveland Motel, it was a relief to stay at a proper Inn. It was a little bit more expensive (about 94 USD), but worth it!

• Liked — Good value
  • Disliked — Remote location. But it's close to the park!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DrizBelgium
Torrance, California
Reviewed October 4, 2008

We stayed at this inn one night the week following Labor Day this year, 2008. When we got there late at night (we went to park first, then came back out), we were given a room that had not been cleaned yet. The room we were given as a replacement was clean and larger with an extra futon which was great since we had our toddler with us. There was a coffee maker and refrigerator in the room also. There was a tub-shower, but the shower curtains were mildewy with a pink tinge. However, my parents found hair on the sheets of the bed in their room. This place ended up being okay considering we booked a few weeks prior to the trip (we would not have been able to get lodging in the park), but it was a long hour car trip to the valley floor which was difficult for our toddler to deal with.

• Liked — available for Yosemite travelers;upgraded our room after giving us a dirty one by mistake
  • Disliked — questionable cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank J E
Foster City
Reviewed September 21, 2008

I've been visiting Yosemite every year since 1995. I've stayed in campsites and most of the hotels inside the valley as well as the lodgings in and around the park entrance. I am partial to staying outside the park because I don't mind driving a bit (I'm young). To me, 40 minutes really isn't that much, considering I just drove 3.5 hours to get to this point. If I can save $50/nite by driving a bit, then it's worth it to me.

Earlier this year, me and my Dad, stayed at Yosemite Lodge. I don't remember the exact price but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $180/night, OUCH! That's no small price, and my dad had called just a few days before to make the reservation.

I sit inside the Westgate Lodge as I type this. I have stayed here many times throughout the years. Tonite, I paid $94 to stay for this night. I will pay the same for tomorrow. This was the total, including tax, surcharge and everything. The indian lady at the front desk told me that I could save $10 if I paid cash, but I didn't have that much on me.

I am aware this place has new management that took over about 2 or 3 years ago. The new owners seem to be an Indian couple (husband and wife). My initial impression was negative as last year when I stayed here they charged me $130 which I thought was outrageous since the prices seemingly kept going up each year while service stayed the same. Not helping matters was the fact that they kept changing the prices on me. Last year, when I booked reservation through the phone, they quoted me $120/night - that was with the husband. Then when I got to the hotel the wife told me $130/night. I told her that her husband had quoted me $120/night. She then told me that those rooms were sold out and that was all that she had. I was skeptical but paid anyways since the hostel down the road was not nearly as nice.

Tonite, when I came to the reception desk, I was scared that they would charge me $160/night, possibly more. I was shocked when she told me $85 (without tax). It must be slow season now, or maybe because it's Sunday night.

There is a swimming pool that is fun for kids and adults to play in. There is no free continental breakfast, but that is not really to be expected in Yosemite. The Yosemite Lodge in the Valley does not supply free continental breakfast, Yosemites Lakes Lodge (10 minutes from here) does not provide continental breakfast, the Wawona didn't serve free breakfast as far as I could remember, I don't know of any places in the Valley that supply free continental breakfast.

I do have one complaint right now, the bedbugs are biting me as I write this. I'm sitting on the bed watching TV and it's annoying. I do have a microwave and fridge which are nice touches.

One thing to note that others may not have touched on: there are two distinctly different parts of the hotel. There's the Yosemite Westgate Lodge, and there's Buck Meadows. The main reception desk is the place to make reservations to both, however, although it is usually cheaper, Buck Meadows which is located about 1/2 a block from the main hotel, is a bit dustier, older, and more sparsly endowed compared to the rooms in the main hotel. It's also my personal opinion that the rooms at Buck Meadows get less attention than the rooms in the main hotel but maybe that's just appearance. If you come here and they tell you it's booked, ask if they have rooms at Buck Meadows. Sometimes they treat it differently as if it's separate hotel.

I've never liked eating at the restaurant adjacent to Buck Meadows. It used to be run by an asian family, but about 2 years ago it's come under new management. They are offering more American style foods now rather than asian/american offerings, but it still doesn't look very appealing and the prices don't look that reasonable. My personal fav is PJ's Cafe 10 minutes down the road in Groveland which has lots of good american style food to choose from including delicious shakes and smoothies as well as pizza.

I have never had a problem with ants in this hotel (or Buck Meadows). Btw - it's September and I'm surprised at the lack of offerings for accomodations. Yosemite Lakes (hostel) is closed and all the campgrounds are closed. Outside of the Valley, this was the only game in town (not including Groveland).

The A/C is noisy, but I always bring earplugs when I travel and you should too.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank Mahadragon
England
Reviewed September 17, 2008

This hotel has an ideal location being one of the very few within a reasonable distance of Yosemite's west gate and they know it. The room charge of $175 plus tax takes to just under $200 for a very indifferent experience. Although the room was a decent size, the towels and sheets were very thin. The front desk lady was far from pleasant just wanting full payment and telling us to drop the key in the morning through the letter box as she wasn't opening up. Worst of all for this extortionate price you are told by several large notices sellotaped around that there is 'NO CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST'. You have to go to the only nearby restaurant which happens to have moved next door from further down the street. Internet access to book our next hotel was only available in a corner of the car park! It is a real pity, this could be a decent hotel if the owners decided they wanted to enter the hospitality industry, otherwise it is only a bed for $200!

• Liked — Location - only about 25 mins drive from Yosemite West Gate enterance
  • Disliked — Price and complete lack of service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank muletrains
Prague
Reviewed September 7, 2008

We payed a lot for this place as it was on the labor day weekend, when we got there the room we were given already had someone staying in it!! When we went back to reception they just gave us another room key and shrugged, not reassuring!

The room was nice enough and the area is very good with a great restaurant next door.

Overall this place was OK but not worth more than 100 dollars a night.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank glyneth
NJ
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Stayed in this hotel while visiting Yosemite. It was clean with a refrigerator in the room and the beds were comfy. There was a great restaurant next door. The food was delicious and the service was good.

• Liked — clean and convienent to Yosemite
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank NJKaren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,720 reviews

Been to Yosemite Westgate Lodge? Share your experiences!