“Yosemite comfort”

Yosemite Westgate Lodge
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Groveland
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Took my sister to Yosemite for her birthday. We are both pretty picky and mobility challenged, [aka we are old and out of shape]. I choose this hotel due to location and good reviews. First off, the hotel says it's in Groveland but it is 12 miles outside of Groveland towards Yosemite. We spent a bit looking for it but asked a local and was given directions.

It was quiet except for the people moving the bench around upstairs. Our room was clean, having a fridge and microwave helped us keep some of our costs down. Since it was mid week and not quite the high season, it only took us about 20 minutes to get to the valley floor.
Don't know where the pictures on their site were taken, but I saw rooms in every building and not one had the bed linens pictured. The sheets etc were nice but covered with ugly flowered bedspreads. Not a big deal for me as I just throw those onto the floor anyway.

Bed was comfy, wireless was spotty at best but I was aware of that. The shower head was high which is usually an issue for both of us as we are tall. Water pressure which is a biggie for me was good so I was happy. Wierdly, we both commented that the toliet seemed very short.

We ate next door at the BuckMeadow resturant. Not terrible but certainly nothing to write home about. We choose to eat else where for all of the other meals. Their pie which is "homemade" was really bad.

I'd stay again and have even recommended it already to someone. If you can get the Groupon deal it's great too.

Room Tip: We had room 503. Middle of the building on the first floor. Close to everything and quiet
2  Thank Lebenheimer1

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Located in Buck Meadows, simple and clean, quiet. What I like most about are the light switches, each has a pilot light to indicate its location, and also detects motion so that the whole switch brightens up when you move near it in the dark. Why don't more hotels have this gizmo?

It may be 15 minutes to the Yosemite Park West Gate entrance but it is another 45 minutes or so In early season traffice beofre one could reach the Yosemite Valley and the sights.
If you do not mind the hour long commute each waydaily it is a good place.

The Buck Meadows Restaurant next to it is good, cheap and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Innsight_Hospitality, Owner at Yosemite Westgate Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Tanaki:

Thanks for your positive review. I wanted to take the time to personally thank you! Its so funny some people love those light switches and some are just baffled by them! We are just trying to be eco-friendly, especially considering we live in the forest! Thank you for your review. We do recognize some also find is close to The Park, and some find us a bit far. The reality is: Yosemite is the size of Rhode Island and it is a very vast and rugged place. We actually are the closest and most modern hotel to Yosemite, so yes, we are the closest without being actually in The Park--where'd you'd pay an arm and a leg!

Anyhow, we'd love to have you stay again. Please do visit and book directly at yosemitewestgate.com and save!

Thanks,

Raj
Owner

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We recently booked this hotel using a Groupon voucher during an April visit to Yosemite. This hotel has basic accommodations, but is very clean and we felt it was a very good deal and would definitely come back again. There is a small restaurant next door that has decent food at reasonable prices (there appeared to be a lot of locals there, which is always a good sign). Our shower leaked something fierce onto the bathroom floor (and there was evidence from the bowed baseboards that we weren't the only ones to experience this) but the water was nice and hot, perfect after a long day hiking. Our internet was spotty, but definitely usable, about what you would expect when you are out in the middle of nowhere. The hotel is about 12 miles from the Yosemite gate (note, you will need another 20 minutes after getting to the gate to get down to the valley floor).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wilssteph
Reviewed April 21, 2013

While the room we were in was average in size, our bed was very comfortable, and you could tell they had done renovations to the room in the recent past. This made our stay a pleasant one. Because the heat was not working in the first room when we arrived, the manager quickly relocated us to a different room. We found a great rate on the internet and stayed here for two nights. We would stay here again on a return trip to Yosemite.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Polly750
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My family of 5 recently stayed at this hotel during a trip to Yosemite. We were surprised by how large the hotel room was. I would say our room was close to double that of a typical hotel room. Our room contained 2 double beds, a leather futon, kitchen table with 4 chairs, a desk and comfortable chair. The room did not match the photos advertised as the bed covers were older, floral patterns and not the newer bed coverings advertised. The furniture was typical of an older hotel style but did the job. The beds were not the most comfortable but did the job.

Our only complaints came on the second night of our stay. We were woken up at 9am by drilling and other construction noises and construction worker chatter. We stayed in room 410 and the room directly below us was being remodeled and the work was loud. Also, there was no hot water that morning for our showers.

All in all, once the construction is over and the hot water issues dealt, and maybe some linen and bed covering updates, I would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: There is a playground on the grounds, pool and hot tub, and restaurant within walking distance. Ask...
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is about 12 miles from Yosemite, so a nice location. It was clean and comfortable, pretty much average. I was glad it had a small frig. I didn't like that the office is only open from 8am -10 pm, with a $25 late arrival fee. I had to wait for the office to open at 8am before I could check out. Try the restraunant next door - it was great!

Room Tip: Several two story buildings - only stairs, so specifiy first level in reservation if needed.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank heidi84
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here in mid April 2013 when using a Groupon for the first time. The room was large, clean and had the amenities I wanted including microwave and a fridge which was large for a motel. The room was very clean, and the bathroom was huge. Its the closest motel to the park on Hwy 120, and conveniently has a very nice country restaurant next door called Buck Meadows {reviewed separately q.v.} The motel had a pool and Jacuzzi, which had not yet been opened for the season. The staff was helpful, and accommodated my early arrival. I had no major complaints, and only two minor aggravations. In order to conserve energy, the room had motion sensitive lights, which sometimes seemed to have a mind of their own, and the switches weren't always where I expected them to be. Overall the lighting wasn't as bright as I would have liked. The second issue was almost funny: There is one button on the TV remote which will disable the TV for about two hours. Every time I picked up the remote, I worried about bumping it.

Overall a nice stay, I would recommend. N.B. The address is Groveland, but that's not where the motel is, its in Buck Meadows, closer to the park. There is NO CELL PHONE SERVICE anywhere nearby, and the room phones must be pre-authorized for outgoing calls. I had very good internet connection though.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BiffCanlett

Biff:

Thank you for your accurate review of our property. We really respect reviews like yours because they do not sugar coat and are reflective of our value and the quality of our lodgings. Sure we have some quirks, but quirks are all about personality! We try hard to be one of the best places to stay when visiting Yosemite and your review helps affirm that very point, so thank you!

We'd love to have you back. Book directly at yosemitwestgate.com and input the promo code tripadvisor to save $5 per night!

See you soon,

Raj
Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
The Groveland Hotel
The Groveland Hotel
#5 of 7 in Groveland
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Yosemite Westgate Lodge? Share your experiences!