“Should be condemned”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Groveland
Groveland Motel & Indian Village
California
“Should be condemned”
Reviewed July 25, 2008

This motel was disgusting. The room smelled like a toilet and even though we opened the one window that would open and ran the air conditioner/ fan all night it did not get any better. The ceiling looked like it would cave in any minute. There was mold in the bathroom. The bathroom sink drained poorly. There was not one single hook for a towel or a robe in the bathroom. I seriously think that the local health department should inspect this place and should at least require extensive repairs if not just condemning the place outright. Don't stay there until they take care of these problems!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The manager yelling to someone that she was going to cut their throat.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
california
Reviewed July 21, 2007

I just returned from a trip to Yosemite National Park. I booked this "cabin" by calling the hotel directly and the lady told me to make sure that I call before I come so they don't cancel my reservation (she said they will cancel the reservation if I don't either check in or call before 6 pm)

I called that day and the lady who answered said that I could have a early check in at 11 because my cabin was cleaned and she wanted to know about what time I was going to arrive. I was just thinking that this is a privately owned small but quaint hotel and it was no big deal.

After a short hike, we drove to the motel (which was about a 2 hour drive from Yosemite Valley) and as I pulled up I saw that there was only 1 car in the small parking lot. The mobile homes looked old and run down as did the check in desk. When we checked in I asked the lady if they were full tonight and she said no. She said that alot of people have been cancelling on her and she thought because of "word of mouth". Immediatley, I was a litte weary of the place.

We went to our cabin and I was dissappointed...the bathroom was a mess, the shower had alot of water damage and the floor felt like it could cave in when you stepped on it! Also, there was not a blind on the bathroom window so, you could see inside from the outside of the cabin.

I did make my reservation for 2 nights but, I only stayed the 1 night. I couldn't justify spending 86 dollars a night at this place!

• Disliked — bathroom, rate, room upkeep and cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marieteacher

Travelers are raving about these Groveland hotels

California
Reviewed May 18, 2007

We arrived very late at night, so our choices were limited. This place looked cute from the outside, so we decided to give it a try. This was not the cleanest place, but I was willing to look past this for a good nights sleep.

At around 6 in the morning to leave and my boyfriend and I felt bugs crawling on us. We turned on the light and found two bedbugs on the bed. We tossed the blankets around and found more.

Unfortunately, we were in a rush to leave to meet a friend for an early hike in Yosemite, so didn't bother to make a complaint at the time. Later in the day, we noticed we had red bug bits all over our arms. I called the motel to make a complaint and the woman who works at the front desk said she would give my number to the owner.

A week later with no return call, I called again. The woman who answered the phone this time said that I was lying and that I should go to court if I think there are bed bugs and that I have no proof.

I sent a complaint to the BBB and the Health Inspector.

I don't intend to get my money back, but this place should take my complaint seriously and do something about it rather than pretending it the problem doesn't exist.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank hummmbaby
pugslee, public relations manager at Groveland Motel & Indian Village, responded to this review, October 14, 2007
Our motel has been in business for aprox 35 years.Our motel was built in 1922. As far as bugs go we had never had a problem until this year. We sometimes allow pets and a dirty dog brought in a few ticks not bed bugs. Ticks are native to this area. They can be brought indoors by animals and on peoples clothing.You can have them on you and not knoe it. The rooms were fumigated. We have been cleared of any violations due to this incident.The BBB and Health dept has signed off on this incident. Also the prices trip advisor is posting are wrong. We rent single rooms for $86.40 a night and double rooms for 97.20 a night. Our large mobiles will sleep 16 people for 225.00 a night.Our motel is clean and friendly.We were not in denial about our customers complaint. We just had never had the problem before. Our motel is rustic.It is not fancy but the units are clean.One must remember the mountains have alot of dust and inscet life.It is easy to be a carrier of bugs on ones clothing into a room. We are always updating our faculities. We do apoligize for any inconvinence our customers might have had. Thank you Groveland Motel
San Jose, CA
Reviewed May 6, 2007

My husband and I decided to go to Yosemite National Park for the weekend in May 2007. We searched for places to stay online and found the budget friendly Groveland Motel. I called the motel directly and made a reservation for one of their cabins for the weekend of our visit. Upon arriving we were quickly disappointed in the exterior appearance of the property. We went to check-in and after paying were
told that we had a mobile home and not a cabin as requested. When asked why we didn't get a cabin - we were told that one was too small
and the other had some water damage in the bathroom that they didn't rent out unless it was all that was left. You can imagine our surprise by that comment. The motel clerk walked us to our mobile home and on the way said it doesn't look the best on the outside but the inside is so cute. WRONG! Let me point out some facts about this particular mobile home.

The main entrance to the place is sliding glass doors with a paper-type covering on the windows for privacy and a padlock with a key for
the lock!

It looked like mobile home from the 1970's complete with wood paneling that was warping off the walls.

The nightstands we're filthy.

The bathroom only got worse. The tub/shower combination was a disaster too! The walls had so much water damage that they were peeling and cracking and in the bottom of the tub there were remnants
of non-skid stickies – part of them still there and the goo from the others still stuck to the tub.

In a closet in the sleeping area we found the shelves full of cobwebs and at least one big (alive) spider and some type of critter droppings!!!

We returned to the rental office and asked for a refund which we promptly received. The clerk tried to seem surprised by our findings and said that was not standard upkeep of the motel, but I have a feeling this has happened many times in the past as what we saw doesn't happen from one guest to the next.

If you are planning to stay in Groveland, CA - please avoid this property!

We were very upset that they would even offer a place in that condition let alone for $86 a night!

Thankfully because it was early in the season we were able to find a room at the All Seasons Groveland Inn for the weekend. We really enjoyed staying there and would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — There wasn't anything I liked about the place.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank curiouswen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Hotel Charlotte
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Cedar Lodge
Cedar Lodge
#2 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Groveland Motel & Indian Village? Share your experiences!