“Sad time for Groveland”
Review of Groveland Hotel's Cellar Door - CLOSED

Groveland Hotel's Cellar Door
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Back Street
Transit: YARTS stop is a block away at Mary Laveroni Park.
Sacramento, California, Usa
“Sad time for Groveland”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We have been planning to eat dinner at the Grovel and Hotel on the way to Yosemite for almost one year. October 31, Halloween night we showed up for our reservation. They had a big black kettle in the middle of the dining room for the endless parade of trick-or-treaters and it was entertaining, BUT...they did not have in stock the first three wines I choose from the wine list. Same experience for the couple at the table behind us. I ordered linguini carbonara and it was a goopy, sticky, glob of salt and flour. The salad was grossly over dressed. My wife's hamburger was tough. I know the fires and park closure were tough, not this is a destination place to eat.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sacramento, California
“Fun Place To Hang & Have Dinner with the Hotel Ghost”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Loved our stay at The Groveland Hotel and had a great dinner at this place. I think the hotel ghost sat & had dinner with us because every time I looked at my drink the liquid level was lower and lower...........LOL

• Visited April 2013
Modesto, California
“Delicious!!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to take a detour on the way home from a visit with family and ended up in Groveland for a late dinner. Most places were closed so we decided to go into the Groveland Hotel to eat. I'm so glad we did! It was warm and inviting and the staff was very friendly. Our server, Kim, was great and recommended the Osso Buco...it was delicious and I will definitely order again when we go back. We also had the fried green beans, caprese salad, and butternut squash soup - all very very good. This will for sure be one of our spots to visit from now on.

Modesto, California
“Wonderful Dining Experience”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

While visiting a relative in Groveland, my friend and I decided to have dinner at The Cellar Door, since I had eaten here a few years ago, and it wasn’t bad. We were a tad early for dinnertime, but were escorted in anyway, and the wines we were offered prior to ordering were quite pleasant. Being wine aficionados, we appreciated their use of large wine goblets, as they really tend to enhance wine's delicate flavors. Our attentive waitress checked on us often until we ordered. During our wait, we enjoyed the ambience, particularly the eye-catching ornaments that surrounded us.

The menu had a good selection of American cuisine. I had the marinated free-range parmesan chicken, and my friend chose the ossobuco-style braised short ribs, which were both delicious. However, we thought the Ribs were the better of the two--they were so juicy, flavorful and tender that they practically fell off the bone. The two sides, garlic mashed potatoes and meatballs, were excellent, as well as the homemade salad dressing and the white bean soup. The food has improved leaps and bounds since the last time we came here. Amazing!

Just one piece of advice, though--make sure you ask the vintage of the wine, before you elect to order it. They have a very comprehensive list, but, like quite a few small-town restaurants, the turnover may not be frequent enough; you might end up with a wine aged a little past its prime. Ours were on the older side, and certainly still drinkable despite the age, but others may not be. All in all, this was a very memorable dinner, and I'd advise anyone staying or passing through Groveland to give this place a try—the pleasant atmosphere, great food and drink, and attentive service made for an excellent dining experience.

• Visited September 2013
Manteca, California
“restaurant experience”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Great food --service excellent, and proprietor even checked on you. Chief even came out and made sure food was to your liking. Super job Groveland Hotel Restaurant. The STEAKS were the BOMB.

• Visited October 2013