“A poor dinner for a lot of money!@”
Review of Groveland Hotel's Cellar Door - CLOSED

Groveland Hotel's Cellar Door
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Back Street
Transit: YARTS stop is a block away at Mary Laveroni Park.
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I were told that the Groveland Hotel, had a nice atmosphere and dinners outdoor. We found the outdoor dinning to be in a pleasant location with lots of trees and atmosphere. Unfortunately, while the food was of good quality the portions were extremely small and vastly overpriced. Our wine came in a tall glass that was barely filled one inch from the bottom. It's terrible to have to find a market to get something to eat after dinner. We will not go back!

1  Thank Patrick C
wineaux, Owner at Groveland Hotel's Cellar Door, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Patrick C...thank you for your review of our Cellar Door Restaurant.

Perceptions are everything. I'm very pleased how much you enjoyed our lovely Courtyard dining area and the quality of our food. Chef Daniel works very hard to create really terrific food.

I was just reading reviews just preceding yours on Trip Advisor, where the writers were commenting on how generous the portions were and what great value. I'm not sure what you had, but I can honestly tell you, we send an awful lot of 'doggie boxes' home with folks.

And, now, about that wine glass and its contents...We are extremely proud to serve our Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence wines from our Schott-Zwiesel titanium oxide crystal stems. These are really beautiful and I'm sure you appreciated the wonderful thin rims and the great bouquet created as a result of the glass. And...would you believe...that glass you described holds 26 ounces - a whole 750ml bottle of wine?? Yes, that's right - and I have great fun at the bar challenging guests on this.

Our wine lists state we serve a five ounce pour for our wines, and that's why we serve it in the five ounce carafes, so our guests know exactly how much wine they are receiving. But, you're right...there's a lot of empty glass left above the wine.

There are newer reviews for Groveland Hotel's Cellar Door

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Good food and portions. Reasonable prices. Great service. Especially liked the wine selection, and the steak.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great food! Beautifully prepared. Comfortable atmosphere.
From the fresh handmade crab cakes to the caesar salad all was delightful. The entrees were Salmon and Penne Pasta with a great Italian sauce. The Rombauer 2009 Zinfandel was outstanding and reasonably priced.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We decided to stay in the Groveland Hotel (which turned out to be a great idea), so we were searching for a place to eat in Groveland. Reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided that The Cellar Door was the the place to eat and we were very happy with our choice - the food was great and the service very attentive. The owner of the Groveland Hotel stopped by our table to make sure we were happy.

My husband had read that the hotel has a very long and good wine list. The bottle of Australian Granche we ordered was very good.

I ordered the Grover Wedge Salad, which is large and sumptuous, and the Lollipop lamb chops. My husband ordered a Caesar salad the "Memphis Style Baby Back Ribs." We were both happy with everything. The Grover Wedge Salad is romaine lettuce with blue cheese and tomatoes. It was huge, so I was glad that I ordered a small plate (the Lollipop lamb chops) with it. The owner is from Memphis, as is my husband. The famous ribs in Memphis are "dry ribs" from the Charlie Vargos Rendezvous Room. I don't particularly like the Rendezvous Room ribs and liked the ribs my husband ordered much better. The Groveland ribs were moist and meaty, easily separating from the bones. The ate the 1/4 rack I got from my husband entirely with a knife and fork. My husband likes a lot of sauce on everything and also more spice than I do. He asked for some extra sauce on the side and enjoyed his ribs very much. I preferred the ribs without the extra sauce.

Aside from the Ahwahnee Hotel (which is highly variable because of frequent chef turnover), the Groveland Hotel was by far the best food we have had in the area. My husband wants to come back.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

NIce dinner entrees, freshly prepared. Also a nice wine selection. We've had the beef entrees, and salads. We haven't had a bad meal here yet.