“Beware” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 6 Groveland B&B and Inns
California
“Beware”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

I made reservations at this hotel over the phone using my debit card. 1 day before I left on vacation, I received a overdraft notice from my bank. It turns out the hotel charged me before I even checked in. When I got to the hotel and questioned them, they stated it was their "NEW" policy to do that. I explained to them no one informed me of this when I made the reservations. They were not sympatheic or willing to compensate me in any way for the $132 in overdraft charges. I stay at alot of hotels and this has never happened to me before. The credit card is just to hold the room, then when you check in you have the option to keep it on the credit card that was used to make the reservation, or pay using another method. Be aware that you will be charged before you even check in!!!!!

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank Gourdy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
centerview mo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2007

Rooms small and musty. Beds were old and uncomftable. Window unit air conditioning made loud thumps when compressor went off. I`m generally a very easy person to get along with so beware.

• Liked — shady
  • Disliked — upkeep
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank kattlekall

Travelers are raving about these Groveland hotels

Bay Area, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2007

At first glance this hotel seemed reasonable. It appeared clean and the manager was very pleasant. Once we got the room keys I became very disappointed. The room was small- but I was expecting that. The window that had a window A/C had cracked glass. I found long dark hair everywhere- in the refrigerator and bathroom. The part that really made the place unbearable was the beds! The beds were old and hard! I woke up both mornings with backaches that lasted all day. If I decide to visit Yosemite again I would camp in Yosemite and buy an air mattress. Also the hotel is only 10 miles from the Yosemite Entrance, but once you get in the park you have to drive 24 miles to get to any of the activities- so it takes about an hour since you are driving on mountain roads.

Another thing is the gas station close buy is very expensive; once you get into the park you can buy gas for about 20 cents cheaper a gallon.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank JessJones5
LocalManagement, Management at Yosemite Riverside Inn, responded to this review, April 5, 2008
These responses are based on what is said in order of said on review.

Thank you for the clean establishment commit, we do our best here at YRI.

Sorry that can happens with an old establishment!!! We do our best with what we have. We try to keep up with modernizing when ever possible. Our standard motel rooms are not really meant to be enjoyable, just economical.

Some of our house keepers do have black hair. It may of come from them. I will make sure next time to have them shave their heads before coming to work. We will try to keep that from happening again.

Wow, really that is so weird. We change all our beds back in 2005 with new top of the line Serta beds. I am thinking the backaches came from carrying all the luggage to your room and back again. Some people have trouble sleeping in a bed they are not use to and have that same problem. I hope your backache gets better. I had my back go out on me once carrying 7 pieces of luggage from one room to another. I didn't even get a tip for doing it. Darn things weighed as much as a large tire and rim each. Kitchen sink and all the dishes come to mind.

Beware you might get another backache carrying the luggage and think it is the bed. I should know.

That is so true. Most people do take about 45 minutes to get into the valley of the park. That is those that don't stop by the road side and take pictures of everything.

That is also true since the park is federally owned and the gas station does not have to pay state taxes. But you might not want to wait to get into the park because some times that (1) gas station is closed.

You all have a good year and see you for a better stay next time. Just remember the better the room type the better the room.

Deluxe rooms are way larger and have all kinds of nice amenities.

Suites come with even more amenities, kitchens, living rooms and FIRE PLACES and way larger rooms. Condo's come to mind. See our website for more detail and pictures.

Thanks everyone and I can’t wait to meet you so see you soon,
Management and staff
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2007

We chose to stay at this hotel from some favorable reviews of other Trip Advisors - we should have followed the advice of the unfavorable reviews. The hotel truly has the look and feel more of a trailer park than that of a quaint Inn that we were expecting. The room that we had was small with dirty shag carpeting - we didn't want to take our shoes off after entering the room. The room had a musty odor that we tried to eliminate with the noisy window AC unit that must have been 30 years old. The sheets were paper thin and the towels were thin rags. The only phone that was available was one pay phone in the parking lot! This was a very disappointing hotel experience.

• Disliked — "trailer park" feel
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank GFlorida
The answers are in order of the statements made by the review.

I am sorry to hear that. Those that did found something unique, had stated truthfully so. Again a standard room is not meant to be enjoyable only economical. Don't take me wrong the standard rooms are comfortable, just not meant to be memorable.

Yes, we do have 2 trailers that we own. The county dictates where we are aloud to place them so we do what we must. At least they are clean and on the out skirts and well maintain. I hardly believe they are taking away the experience and feel of the Inn. Unless your looking to be negative because you can be.

Our carpets are shampooed when ever there is a spill or a mark of any kind that can not be vacuumed up, and they are vacuumed up every time they are used. As for the AC unit when are they ever quite? They do not make any more noise than anyone else out there, and they are not even 2 years old. This is hardly something that anyone else would notice. As for the smell please take your shoes off outside next time.

Sheets and towels are provided by the “Alsco”. They are clean and well taken care of. At any time we believe that they are not we send them back for a complete refund. So why would we take a chance and use something that is not the best for our clients.
Phone: We have just put in new phones in 2006 in our deluxe and suite rooms. We have also placed them in 2 spots out side in key locations. Local phone calls are free and all others take a phone card to use. We receive no income from them. So in what world or universe did we do something wrong?

Deluxe rooms are way larger and have all kinds of nice amenities.

Thanks everyone and I can’t wait to meet you so see you soon,
Management and staff
Truckee, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2007

Clean and comfortable. All things functional but not elegant. Quiet and peaceful. Rooms overlook the river. Some distance from Yosemite Park entrance. We would stay there again.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank truckeebob
Marin County, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2006

I booked our reservation for 2nights through DNC's website for August 25th and 26th. The price was a bit much, but hey, we were as close to the park as we could be, since the park inside was sold out. It only took us about 10 minutes to get to the entrance of the park, and another half hour to get to the valley, with manyphoto opportunities along the way. The manager was kind enough to let us check in 2 hours earlier than their stated 3pm check in time. There was a fridge and microwave in the room, but we weren't sure if the fridge was working the first night. Our room faced the creek, and it wasn't until the second day that I opened the window and got to listen to it running. The room was spacious, and we were even able to keep our bikes in the room with no problems. The bathroom could have used an upgrade, but the water stayed hot through our long showers, and overall was clean. The king-sized bed was clean, and big enough for my 6 foot tall boyfriend to fit on it without having his feet hang over the edge. The TV offered an adequate number of channels, though we hardly used it. We didn't take advantage of the continental breakfast in the main lodge, but the seating area for it looked cute and inviting.

What made me decide never to stay there ever again... is somewhat of a tip for anyone staying there... make sure that if you put the "do not disturb" sign up, that they do see you around the hotel the days you are staying there, or else they will think you have left before your checkout time/day and will go and check your room. We were showering our last morning there, and (I am assuming) the husband of the manager was trying to open our room door. There are blinds on the window of the door, and I ran to the door, freaked out that a man had unlocked and was starting to open our door. He still continued to try and open the door even after I pushed the lock back in and started screaming! Because of the direction of the blinds, I'm sure he got a nice view of all of me, and after that, all I wanted to do was hurry up and leave. He later apologized, saying that many people leave the sign on their door after they leave, so he goes and checks the rooms. But mind you, he came to our room around 9am to check (checkout time is 11am!), and didn't knock first, just started unlocking the door and trying to open it! I wouldn't stay there again, just because of what happened... we're going back to the park in October '06 for a family wedding, and we're staying at the Yosemite Lodge instead... We'll see how that turns out... to be continued...

• Liked — listening to the creek running outside our window
  • Disliked — see my review
  • Tips/Secrets — see my review
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Marin-ite_princess
Present-Management, Management at Yosemite Riverside Inn, responded to this review, December 16, 2006
We are sorry that you may of had a problem with one of the staff of this resort. If its any help that employee no longer works at this resort. We never had a problem with this employee and we would hire him again if he came back. I am sure it was an unfortunate misunderstanding or accident and hope that you change your mind about staying here again.

Management
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2006

What ever you do stay away from this place!!! I was taking the family on a last minute vacation and booked a room at the riverside inn. I did read all of the bad reveiws but decideded to take a chance.That was a big mistake. The onsite managers were so friendly when they were collecting the cash from me but once they were paid it was a differnt story. When i went to talk to the manager about the room not having the sleeper sofa for my daughter,we got the door shut in our face(she slept on the foor).There were kids running up and down the stairs till 9pm. we left a day early and forfeited our second day.This place is in need of work. windows are hard to open, screens are bent allowing bugs to come in, and the kitchen and bathroom are a joke. Stay away from the riverside inn. Don't make the same mistake I did..........................

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank beerguy714
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,614 reviews

Been to Yosemite Riverside Inn? Share your experiences!