“Don't do it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Groveland
Yosemite Pines RV Resort and Family Lodging
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Let me start by saying the my family and I travel extensively throughout the world and my friends would say that I am the least confrontational person they know. However, while waiting in front of the general store, I was approached and yelled at by one of the managers of this facility. It was the first time I had even seen this woman. She yelled at me about my dog who had barked (in a friendly manner) at a child riding a motorized scooter. She yelled...I (and the child's mother) tried to explain that my pet was not being aggresive...she yelled even more. I told her that I would except anything she had to say as long she spoke civily to me, she threatened to call the sheriff on me. I understand people's fears of dogs and would have had no problem taking my dog back to the cabin, but was never given a chance to say this. Then she (and her husband, I think) began fighting with another person who had witnessed the entire incident and told her that she was downright rude. Other people who witnessed this as well stopped by my cabin to tell me that they could not believe the manager's behavior and that they would not be returning. By the way, while all of this was going on, my five year old son was begging me to leave "because these people are mean". Broke my heart. They call this place a family and pet friendly resort! I paid almost $800 for 3 nights at this place to be treated like this...you couldn't pay me to return. Thank god for my visit to beautiful Yosemite..kind of puts the world into perspective. Employees there seem to know how to treat their visitors like human beings. By the way, the pool is filthy and my neice is at the emergency room with red spots all over her body as I sit to write this review. Coincidence? I won't be returning to find out.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank JamaicaMonCalif
maddiemom1, Manager at Yosemite Pines RV Resort and Family Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2007

I would like to respond to the review written and titled Don't Do It. First of all the person who is writing the review is very much not telling the whole story or the whole truth. His dog did "bark" at child riding a bicycle and the owner of the dog was literally drug across the parking lot as the dog tried to get to the child. It may be that the dog only wanted to play but did not seem so at the time. I asked that the dog be removed and taken back to the cabin since our policy is no agressive dogs and it seemed as if the dog was agressive to all around the store office area. The owner refused and began to be abusive. At this time I told him to please go back to the cabin and take the dog. It took over 5 minutes to get this person to get the dog out of the public area. During this time the dog tried to get away and go after 2 other people who were entering the store/ office. I really would like to know what is in a persons mind when they stay at someone elses park/resort and feel that they have the right to abuse the staff verbally and in public because their animal whom they are responsible for does something wrong! We pride ourselves on being a pet freindly place but it is attitudes such as this that make us sometimes want to rethink that decision. We are all animal lovers and the dog in question is not at fault... his people are. And I might add that this is a very confrontational person even though he does not have the ability to admit it. We welcome all animals to our facility but have the responsibility to all our guest to make sure these animals are not agressive and to rwmove those that are. We would not be good managers if we turned our back on that. Thank you for the opportunity to respond to this.

Reviewed August 6, 2007

We made a last minute decision to spend a weekend in Yosemite. Since most of the lodgings in the park are sold out months in advance, we decided to stay outside Yosemite. We chose the Yosemite Pines RV Park based on recommendation of friends. This property is located about 2 miles E of Groveland. The drive from here to the West Entrance of Yosemite is about 30 minutes. It takes another 45 minutes to get from the West Entrance to the Valley floor. So please plan accordingly.
The place is obviously catered to the RV crowd and I would have to imagine that they do a good job of it - as evidenced by the fact that they were completely sold out of all RV sites.
We stayed in one of their Deluxe cabins. The cabins were as advertised - clean and quite adequate. They have central a/c and heating, which was very useful when we got there at around 4:00 PM in the afternoon and it was in the mid 90s! They also come with all beddings and a fully furnished kitchen. However I would strongly recommend that you wash all utensils and dishes before use!
There is a very small general store on the property that carries some decent selection of essentials (milk, cereal etc.). But keep in mind that they do close the store early (5:00 PM or so).
The property has also made some attempts to try and keep the guests entertained - you can pan for "gold", visit the petting zoo and lounge in the pool. However we found that the crowd around the pool and volleyball court was a bit more rowdy and loud than we would have liked. My two kids (6 and 4) felt overwhelmed with so many bigger kids (and even late teens) around.
In front of every cabin, there is a small movable firepit and a fixed bbq grill (very basic). The general store sells firewood for about $5 a bundle (7 logs). We had dinner by the fireside and it was a wonderful experience. Once the fire was out and most of the lights turned down in the RV park, we had a wonderful view of an unobstructed night sky. Something that we don't get a chance to see in the light-polluted Bay Area!
Overall, I would recommend this place if you are up for what it offers - clean, basic accomodation which is reasonably close to Groveland. However, I think that people who are in the frame of mind of roughing it (and we are not!!), might enjoy this place more.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank bullman99
Reviewed July 22, 2007

We arrived at the campground on the weekend so there were no attendants present but the direction and instructions to our campsite was posted on the door - we found it with such ease. It was about 95 degrees outside and our yurt was like a sauna. I liked what I saw right away since I'm a "tent camper". The yurt came with a queen size futon convertible sofa bed and a bunk-bed with double size bed bottom bed and twin size upper bunk. It also has a tv/dvd, microwave, tower fan, toiletries, linens, pillows & small fridge to keep all your perishable items and drinks cold. This is what I called "spoiled camping". The only thing that was really missing is having your own bathroom. Outside the yurt, they have a grill, a fire-pit, picnic table, and a running faucet -Awesome and GREAT! At night, it gets very cold. Some of my family members rented a deluxe cabin nearby and we hung out there in the daytime to cool off (of course they paid at least triple) and I liked their cabin too - it's just like a home with very good air-conditioning. My son who's 4 fell in love with the petting zoo especially the alpacas;-) he cried the night before we left. Regarding Yosemite, the main entrance to Yosemite is at least 20 miles and another 20 to get to the valley so make sure you plan your day ahead especially if you have some scheduled tours to go to. I highly recommend the valley floor tour ($26) and starry skies tour ($21). We definitely saw a couple of big bears and cubs ( there's an increase this year) and lots of other wildlife. There was not a lot of water flow to the falls so we couldn't raft there but we found one about 20 miles out in the Stanislaus River (Sunshine Rafting). It was so much fun and the water was so clear and lots of fish. Great place to go fishing but I don't know if it's allowed. We had a really good time on this trip and definitely worth coming back to. My family definitely miss looking up the sky and seeing all those stars. It was unbelievable to see that many stars! This is what we gave up for living in the city. It was a blast!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Tiare224
Reviewed July 2, 2007

After failing to book a campsite for my group of 15 in Yosemite National Park, I came across Yosemite Pines and booked a group tent site with them. Upon arriving, the lady at the front desk was nice and gave me a map to show me where my site was. The site was large enough to fit our many tents and had plenty of fire rings and picnic tables. The bathrooms appeared to be clean and stocked with all the necessary soap and paper goods.

After setting up camp with the first part of my group, we decided to head up to Yosemite and explore the park. I asked the lady at the front desk (this time a different lady) about Yosemite fees and she acted annoyed when she answered me. I also asked that if anyone from my party was to arrive and give them my name, if they would be directed to the site. The lady acted strangely and rudely told me that she could not unless I gave her my name and the site number. Confused, I told her that I would be in the system and that they already had my information. She just repeated the same thing again, so I told her my name and site number and she wrote it down on a scrap of paper. I just thought that it was very bizarre.

Later that night, four of us went to the office/general store for some firewood, and even though they had just closed, they let us buy some anyway, which was very nice and accomodating. When we returned to our site, the rest of our group informed us that they were yelled at by the management for violating quiet hours. Quiet hours started at 10:00, and it was 10:03.They were told that they had already recieved complaints. However, the next night, another group made at least twice as much noise well past midnight. Some of our group was unable to sleep because of the unceasing level of noise. It seemed unlikely that anyone told them to stop as they were being noisy for hours into the night.

The once clean bathrooms started to look dingy after the second or third day. At one point they ran out of paper towels. The showers were pretty gross, with hair all over, a lack of hooks and dirty water all over the floor, which was the worst part. It was impossible to change in there without getting nasty water on your clothes and feet. They need a wooden slat board to step on when getting out of the shower.

On the third day, we returned to find that a new group had taken over part of our campsite. For some reason, when I booked the group tentine, we were also given a standard tent site with a number, I guess for location and bookkeeping reasons. We weren't using that particular spot, so we decided not to complain about other people using it. We just thought it was strange since that spot was reserved for us and and wondered whether it was the group's or management's mistake.

IN CONCLUSION, Yosemite Pines is a good alternative to Yosemite Park camping. I imagine that the facilities here are probably better than in the park and that it is less crowded. I mistakingly noted that Yosemite Pines is only a half-hour away from the park entrance, but campers need to realize that it takes about an hour or more to get to Yosemite Valley, which can be annoying when you do it every day and on the way back when you're hungry and tired from all the hiking.

The service is inconsistent; some of the staff were very friendly, helpful and accomodating, while others were quite the opposite. Definately something needs to be done to remedy the wet floors in the shower stalls. It was just completely replusing and very difficult to dress after showering. Other than that, my friends and I would consider staying here again, unless we hear of a more promising alternative.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2007

We booked what was supposed to be a "deluxe" cabin - that's a misuse of the word! It was advertised to sleep 5 people but it was smaller than most single hotel rooms. When all the beds were in use, there is not enough room to even move in the cabin! Our cabin also wasn't level - the bottom trundle bed (on wheels) rolled up next to the wall and blocked the refrigerator door. There was also only enough hot water for 1 shower. Definitely not worth it for the price we paid.
On the plus side - the petting zoo was nice for the kids - you can feed the animals at 8AM. The pool and game room looked nice but were closed when we arrived at 8:50pm and did not open until after we left the next morning.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2007

The campground / rv park has a woodsy setting with gravel roads and is terraced into the hillside. The campground has a petting zoo, general store, gold mine, pool, swimming pools, tetherball, tot lot, horse shoes, etc. and free wi-fi. The property is about 22 miles from the west entrance to Yosemite National Park. Groveland is a charming town with several quaint historic restaurants. We stayed in a very nice deluxe cabin. They have one bedroom on the ground floor and two small loft style bedrooms on the top floor. Our children loved the loft style bedrooms. The kitchens are nice and new and offer cable tv. The staff was very friendly and even brought up charcoal to us when we ran out. The kids loved the petting zoo and gold mine.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2007

We stayed in a Standard Cabin for 3 days. Although the cabin was small, I thought it was just perfect for two people. The kitchen includes a small refrigerator, two burner stove, microwave, sink, and all the pots, pans, and utensils you would need.

The bathroom was nice and the shower was hot and had very soft water, my hair never felt so smooth. However - the hot water tank is small, so you can only have one shower at a time. Unfortunately, my husband was stuck with a cold shower our first morning.

The campground is very quiet and peaceful. Make sure to check out the gold mine. It's quite a hike up the hill, but worth it.

It takes about 30 minutes to get to the Yosemite gate, but its a great drive. The town of Groveland is small and the stores close at 7 or 8pm in the winter. If you want to eat out, try the food at the Pizzeria, it was very good.

Stayed: March 2007