“Comfortable, peaceful, welcoming accommodations”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Groveland
Sunset Inn Yosemite Vacation Cabins
Reviewed August 10, 2010

The Sunset Inn provided the perfect accommodations for our stay at Yosemite. My two grown daughters and I enjoyed the lovely, secluded setting. Our cabin had comfortable beds, an equipped kitchen, a deck, and a charcoal grill - just the thing for preparing our dinners and food to pack for lunches on our hikes in the park. Since the Inn is located about a mile and a half outside the park, it meant a bit of a drive to our locations in the park, but the trade-off was well worth it in terms of comfort, privacy, and price. Lauren and Bill were perfect hosts.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 4, 2010

Nice place close to Yosemite. Lauren and Bill were very friendly and accommodating.
We stayed in Larkspur and were disappointed that there was no microwave and had a small fridge, and so paid extra for king size bed ... I would have thought that the lack of other items would have been compensated by the the larger bed.
A ceiling fan would have been a nice touch. Pity nature did not bless them with a stream.
I do not believe that this cabin is worth the extra money, compared to its sister cabins.
Road signs from the main road and at intersections leading to the way, would be appreciated as GPS systems are not always accurate. My GPS wanted me to go a different way, though you did state this in your directions that GPS are not accurate. If you could actually upload a map with your location, it would be great. despite following your directions, I thought we had passed the place and it was about a hundred yards down the road. A plain wooden arrow with "Sunset Inn" pointing in the direction would have been a nice touch. One's brain does not function well after a long day of driving.
Just wish I had been better prepared for my stay here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We rented the homey one bedroom cabin that sleeps 5. It has a bedroom with a double and twin bed, a bath, and a family area with full kitchen, queen bed, a couple of rocking chairs and a kitchen table with chairs. It is well laid out. The cabin is cozy and decorated beautifully. It has a large porch overlooking a lovely meadow. The property has two other smaller cabins that rent out plus the owner's home. It is in a clearing, surrounded by woods. A couple of friendly dogs roam the property and a large cat. A small chicken yard provided multicolored eggs for us to sample. My husband and I were traveling with our two grandchildren ages 9 and 10 and for us this was a perfect setting. Other visitors from France had youngsters also, so soccer games took place in the open meadow in the evenings. After dark our little family played scrabble. Many other choices of games were provided in the cabin. The property is very close to Yosemite. The host and hostess were most helpful in their suggestions for touring. I want to go back!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2010

It was a pity we came so late and had to leave so early, for it was a very pleasant place to dwell. The cabin was tasteful and cosy, the hosts very kind. There was coffee and tea in the room, games, in fact it was a complety furbished little house. We got fresh eggs for breakfast from the chickens in the yard. The service was super, for example, I had forgotten a large item and Lauren made an effort to ship it to me at my convenience!
Margot, Gee and Lorenzo from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed in the Larkspur cabin from May 31 through June 4th. And what a piece of heaven it was! It is a little bit of a distance from the valley but after spending a full day surrounded by crazy people and crazy traffic it was so nice to come back to the cabin and have some peace and quiet. The cabin was THE most spotless place we had EVER stayed at. It was immaculate! Lauren was super helpful and check in was a breeze! The cabin itself is the most adorable thing I have ever seen. We loved the little personal touches such as the books to read and the big binder with menus and park info. The night we came back early enough to grill some steaks and be able to sit on our front porch watching the birds and listening to them with a nice glass of wine was awesome! We really expected to see a bear or some deer come out into the meadow! The bed was so comfortable and the sheets were so soft I felt like it was my bed back in Florida lol And the music we woke up to every morning!!!! The rooster crowing and the birds chirping and singing their hearts out!!!! One couldn't have asked for a better alarm clock! We loved it! I wanted to take Yoda home with me ;-) I don't know why people were complaining about the rates...Sunset Inn was the lowest rate we were able to find especially for the type of accomodations they were. No hotel rooms worries or problems not to mention the privacy and peacefulness! If we ever come out to Yosemite again THIS will be the place we stay!

Thank you Lauren and Bill so much for your wonderful slice of heaven on earth! You guys have an amazing place and you maintain it amazingly!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Sunset Inn is a lovely respite from the hoards of visitors to Yosemite. It's close enough to provide easy access, and yet remote enough to be wild and beautiful and quiet (the silence was perhaps the best part).The cabin we stayed in (Meadowlark) was comfortable, clean, and well appointed. The beds and the linens were exquisite. The kitchen had everything we needed. We had internet service without a problem (but who wants to be indoors in such a place?). Hosts were helpful and friendly but not intrusive. I highly recommend this as a place to access Yosemite and Hetch Hetchy. The hosts are very knowledgeable about the park.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2010

I booked this place back in September 2009 when there were a lot of recent, and very positive, reviews on tripadvisor. What is interesting is that there has not been one since August 2009. Overall I was disappointed with the Sunset Inn and I think my main beef is the value for money. We stayed three nights in Sugar Pine, which is functional and cosy for two, and we paid $180 per night with 8% tax on top. I know it is Yosemite and I know it is California but this is not a good deal in my opinion. The killer touch was missing - for example we did not have a view over a meadow - the majority of our vista was a workshop with lots of tools and chains and junk. Yes we received a warm welcome but I could not shake the feeling of being short changed. Finally, there is no cell phone signal as one might expect in this remote area but the lack of (as advertised) wi-fi caused me problems - these things happen but it is me paying the bill at the end of the day.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark-choosy-chappy
Sunset Inn, Owner at Sunset Inn Yosemite Vacation Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2010

Thank you for your comments. We rely on guest feedback, both positive and negative. Most is so positive that we are surprised by your unfortunate experience.

We work hard to offer the best lodging experience we possibly can, and are very sorry we did not live up to your expectations. We know you cannot please all the people, all the time, but we do try.

In response to your concerns:
1. The majority of our business is seasonal, so that might explain why we have not had a Trip Advisor review since August. We do not solicit reviews, although thanks to yours, we might start now.
2. Our rates are based on our costs. Keeping our cabins clean and desirable as well as ‘functional and cozy’ in our out-of-the-way location is costly. Not only are California and Yosemite a little more pricy to visit, it is also more costly to operate here. If you shop around you will discover our rates are lower than the other desirable cabin lodgings in our area.
3. Sunset Inn is located in a beautiful mountain spot, surrounded by forest on the edge of a lovely, private meadow. The antique workshop with chains, tools and other equipment are necessities here to maintain the property throughout the year, including snow removal and cutting firewood for the cozy wood burning stoves in the cabins. This is an historic property where placement of the cabins was determined long ago. The wrap-around porch on your cabin does face the workshop on one side, and on the other is the forest. I am disappointed if you did not notice the beautiful forest. I am equally sorry you apparently did not find the opportunity to visit our meadow, just 40 steps from your cabin. None-the-less, your comments are not taken lightly, and we will do what we can to enhance the view from all sides of Sugar Pine, our most popular cabin.
4. We do offer WIFI, and regret it was down during part of your stay. In response to your concerns we have updated our web site to state “internet connectivity not guaranteed”.
5. Cell phones do happen to work in some areas of Yosemite where there are cell towers. However in our mountainous region cell reception is very limited, which is why we offered you and all our guests use of a remote phone in your cabin.

We are truly sorry your stay was not what you expected. It is as disappointing for us as it was for you. We will do our best to address the issues you mentioned. It is our goal for every guest to thoroughly enjoy their stay!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
#1 of 3 in Yosemite National Park
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Sunset Inn Yosemite Vacation Cabins? Share your experiences!