Sunset Inn Yosemite Vacation Cabins
Rush Creek Lodge(Groveland)
$400
Hotels.com
Yosemite Westgate Lodge(Groveland)(Great Value!)
$219
$152
Hotel Charlotte(Groveland)
The Groveland Hotel(Groveland)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssugar pine cabintoaster ovencharcoal grillwell equipped kitchenidyllic place to staygreat hostsgrocery shoppingself cateringrustic cabinpots and panscomfortable bedwonderful staystayed longerboard gamesnational parkmeadowlarklauren
Reviewed June 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed in the Larkspur cabin from May 31 through June 4th. And what a piece of heaven it was! It is a little bit of a distance from the valley but after spending a full day surrounded by crazy people and crazy traffic it was so nice to come back to the cabin and have some peace and quiet. The cabin was THE most spotless place we had EVER stayed at. It was immaculate! Lauren was super helpful and check in was a breeze! The cabin itself is the most adorable thing I have ever seen. We loved the little personal touches such as the books to read and the big binder with menus and park info. The night we came back early enough to grill some steaks and be able to sit on our front porch watching the birds and listening to them with a nice glass of wine was awesome! We really expected to see a bear or some deer come out into the meadow! The bed was so comfortable and the sheets were so soft I felt like it was my bed back in Florida lol And the music we woke up to every morning!!!! The rooster crowing and the birds chirping and singing their hearts out!!!! One couldn't have asked for a better alarm clock! We loved it! I wanted to take Yoda home with me ;-) I don't know why people were complaining about the rates...Sunset Inn was the lowest rate we were able to find especially for the type of accomodations they were. No hotel rooms worries or problems not to mention the privacy and peacefulness! If we ever come out to Yosemite again THIS will be the place we stay!

Thank you Lauren and Bill so much for your wonderful slice of heaven on earth! You guys have an amazing place and you maintain it amazingly!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Sunset Inn is a lovely respite from the hoards of visitors to Yosemite. It's close enough to provide easy access, and yet remote enough to be wild and beautiful and quiet (the silence was perhaps the best part).The cabin we stayed in (Meadowlark) was comfortable, clean, and well appointed. The beds and the linens were exquisite. The kitchen had everything we needed. We had internet service without a problem (but who wants to be indoors in such a place?). Hosts were helpful and friendly but not intrusive. I highly recommend this as a place to access Yosemite and Hetch Hetchy. The hosts are very knowledgeable about the park.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2010

I booked this place back in September 2009 when there were a lot of recent, and very positive, reviews on tripadvisor. What is interesting is that there has not been one since August 2009. Overall I was disappointed with the Sunset Inn and I think my main beef is the value for money. We stayed three nights in Sugar Pine, which is functional and cosy for two, and we paid $180 per night with 8% tax on top. I know it is Yosemite and I know it is California but this is not a good deal in my opinion. The killer touch was missing - for example we did not have a view over a meadow - the majority of our vista was a workshop with lots of tools and chains and junk. Yes we received a warm welcome but I could not shake the feeling of being short changed. Finally, there is no cell phone signal as one might expect in this remote area but the lack of (as advertised) wi-fi caused me problems - these things happen but it is me paying the bill at the end of the day.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark-choosy-chappy
Sunset Inn, Owner at Sunset Inn Yosemite Vacation Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2010

Thank you for your comments. We rely on guest feedback, both positive and negative. Most is so positive that we are surprised by your unfortunate experience.

We work hard to offer the best lodging experience we possibly can, and are very sorry we did not live up to your expectations. We know you cannot please all the people, all the time, but we do try.

In response to your concerns:
1. The majority of our business is seasonal, so that might explain why we have not had a Trip Advisor review since August. We do not solicit reviews, although thanks to yours, we might start now.
2. Our rates are based on our costs. Keeping our cabins clean and desirable as well as ‘functional and cozy’ in our out-of-the-way location is costly. Not only are California and Yosemite a little more pricy to visit, it is also more costly to operate here. If you shop around you will discover our rates are lower than the other desirable cabin lodgings in our area.
3. Sunset Inn is located in a beautiful mountain spot, surrounded by forest on the edge of a lovely, private meadow. The antique workshop with chains, tools and other equipment are necessities here to maintain the property throughout the year, including snow removal and cutting firewood for the cozy wood burning stoves in the cabins. This is an historic property where placement of the cabins was determined long ago. The wrap-around porch on your cabin does face the workshop on one side, and on the other is the forest. I am disappointed if you did not notice the beautiful forest. I am equally sorry you apparently did not find the opportunity to visit our meadow, just 40 steps from your cabin. None-the-less, your comments are not taken lightly, and we will do what we can to enhance the view from all sides of Sugar Pine, our most popular cabin.
4. We do offer WIFI, and regret it was down during part of your stay. In response to your concerns we have updated our web site to state “internet connectivity not guaranteed”.
5. Cell phones do happen to work in some areas of Yosemite where there are cell towers. However in our mountainous region cell reception is very limited, which is why we offered you and all our guests use of a remote phone in your cabin.

We are truly sorry your stay was not what you expected. It is as disappointing for us as it was for you. We will do our best to address the issues you mentioned. It is our goal for every guest to thoroughly enjoy their stay!

Reviewed August 19, 2009

This was a really sweet place to stay. We had Meadowlark cabin which had a large-ish kitchen/diner which was open plan with the queen sized bed. In the other room was 2 more beds where the children slept and the shower room was off their room. The beds had patchwork quilts complete with a teddy or bunny to cuddle - very sweet. Lauren and Bill are very helpful and gave us some suggestions as to where to go and where to eat. We toasted marshmallows under the stars at night which is a lovely memory to have. I guess the only downside is the location which despite only being 2 miles from the Oak Flat entrance to Yosemite, you still have 20 odd miles to travel to get to the valley. So it does take a bit of travelling each day to get to where you want to be. However , I guess unless you are actually staying in the valley, Sunset Inn is possible not much further away than other accommodation. It's just something we hadn't realised before we arrived - how far the entrances can be from where you actually want to go for the day. But back to Sunset - it is a lovely place to stay if you want to commune with nature and it provided a huge contrast for us as we stayed in city type hotels for the rest of the trip. I don't want to put anyone off with the details about the location- just be aware you do have to drive distances to eg, the valley, Mariposa Grove, Glacier rd, the meadows.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank kittyhola
Sunset Inn, Owner at Sunset Inn Yosemite Vacation Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2009

We truly appreciate your thoughtful review and are so glad you mentioned the distance thing. So often travelers come to Yosemite unaware of the size and scope of the park. It is huge! It takes nearly 3 hours to drive from the north entrance ‘Tioga Pass’ to the ‘South Entrance’, a distance of about 97 miles.

Sunset Inn is about 27 miles from Yosemite Valley, considered the center and busiest part of the park. Yosemite is home to 3 groves of Giant Sequoias. The South Entrance, and main grove is a bit of a distance, about 60 miles from us. However with careful consideration travelers may discover that Sunset Inn, just 2 miles from the Big Oak Flat west entrance is quite centrally located. We are within 12 miles of the two, smaller, more intimate groves of Giant Sequoias; the Merced Grove is only 7 miles from us, and the Tuolumne Grove is 12. We are also just 20 miles from Hetch Hetchy, about 30 from White Wolf, 40 from Tuolumne Meadows, and 47 miles from Tioga Pass. We are actually closer to all these major sites and hiking trailheads than the lodging in Yosemite Valley. We are also closer, just 3 ½ hours to San Francisco.

One of the lovely aspects of staying at Sunset Inn is our quiet, secluded setting. With just 3 cabins situated on the edge of a private meadow, surrounded by old growth forest, guests experience nature, not crowds, and are bound to find this a very peaceful spot. We are so glad you had a chance to enjoy the amazing array of night stars at Sunset Inn!

Thank you for taking the time to express your observations!

Reviewed August 6, 2009

After my husband braved his vertigo to get us up the Priest-Grade portion of Hwy 120, we were so happy when we arrived at this peaceful cabin in the forest. We were greeted by Lauren who was on her way out for the evening, but she made sure we felt at home. We stayed in the Larkspur cabin which was spotless and well appointed with a patio and charcoal grill, a porch, a fireplace, a bathroom with a skylight and shower, and a nice kitchen with a little breakfast bar. We loved sitting on the porch watching the squirrels chew enormous sugar pine cones. Lauren and Bill were so friendly and helpful, giving us great tips, especially the spot on the Tuolomne River where we were able to cool off from the 100-degree heat. It was great being two miles from the park entrance, and the forest itself is also a stunningly beautiful landscape. Even my husband, who closed his eyes while I drove us in and out of the valley, was happy that we didn't stay in the park. After a hot day in yosemite valley, I was happy to take a scenic drive for 30-40 minutes and arrive at a private, quiet location where you can grill your own food, open a bottle of wine, and enjoy a peaceful evening. Our daughter didn't even miss her beloved Disney Channel too much. She enjoyed watching the chickens, April the cat, Yoda, the dog, the resident squirrels, and the mysterious golden frog. What friendly hosts! What a great place to stay! I would drive the Priest Grade Road ten times to come back here. (However, next time, I'll probably take Hwy 41 to get in:)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family