“Nice accommodations near Yosemite, Friendly Owners at Hotel Charlotte”
Review of Hotel Charlotte

Hotel Charlotte
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Groveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 7, 2009

We stayed at the Dyer Court vacation rentals which are handled by the Hotel Charlotte. 2 3 BR/2 bath condos. The folks at Hotel Charlotte were very responsive, prompt and great to deal with. The condos were convenient for our group of 12 including kids. We will come back again!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Charlotte

Reviewed November 22, 2009

My friend and I spent 3 days at the Hotel Charlotte in October as part of a 10 day visit to California. We wanted a place close to Yosemite that wouldn’t bust our travel budget. I found the Hotel Charlotte online and it looked like a rather cute, fun place that would fit our needs so I booked a reservation. It turned out to be a very good choice. We arrived mid-afternoon and were given a key to our room. I thought I had booked a room with 2 twin beds but the room I was given was a single queen. When I told the desk clerk, she says “No problem!” and moved us the room I thought I had booked. A few minutes later, I heard a knock at the door. It was Lynn, the proprietress. She said “since you ladies are staying here for 3 nights, I think you might be more comfortable in this other room” and she showed us a two room suite with a connecting bathroom. We were quite happy to make the upgrade at no additional cost.

My friend loved the place—she is into antiques and the hotel definitely has an early 20th century look and feel about it. Some of the locals were practicing for a cabaret show later that week so we were treated to a medley of show tunes one evening. There were 2 computers in the downstairs common area for the guests to use as well as wifi and free telephone calls, even long distance, in the rooms. I had a few problems figuring out how to work the satellite TV but after notifying the person at the desk, someone immediately came to my room to set it up for me. The breakfast each morning was great—not just cereal and toast but eggs, sausage and pancakes as well. There was lots of information available on Yosemite in the common area and the staff at the hotel was very eager to answer questions and give advice about visiting the park. We had a lovely dinner at the hotel’s restaurant the last night we were there and the food was very good. I had read several online reviews about the hotel being noisy but I didn’t find that to be a problem. In fact, if I had any complaint at all about our stay, it would be that since we were visiting in the off-season, a lot of the other places in the little town were either closed or keeping abbreviated hours. But with the cabaret entertainment, computers, satellite TV, hotel bar and friendly staff to chat with, we were definitely able to find ways to keep ourselves amused in the evening after a day of hiking in Yosemite. I hope we get a chance to visit again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 27, 2009

The service at the Hotel Charlotte was nice. They stayed up for us because we got in after they "Closed". The problem was the room and amenities. They crammed 3 twin beds in a small room and we could barely get the room door open because it would stick to the bed that was crammed against the wall. The bathroom included a toilet and an old fashioned claw tub with a shower. There was no plavce to put your toletries or clothes, towels, etc. In the shower, there was one small tray enough for a bar of soap but nowhere to place your shampoo, razor, etc. It took a while for the hot water to come on. The sink was located in the bedroom so you had to put makeup on, dry ypur hair, shave your face in the bedroom. The breakfast was good though. The town was nice, quaint, and friendly. I think we paid too much for the room for 3 people. I'm sure that if there were only 2 people and two twin beds in the room it would have sufficed. I think they needed to add a small table in the bathroom to place your belongings and a towel rack would have been nice to have in the bathroom as well.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
HotelCharlotte, Owner at Hotel Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2009

Good morning Judy,
Thank you for your notes on your recent visit with us. We agree that these rooms are small for two people to begin with. Often our guests are traveling with an odd number of people in their group such as yours. They have two options if staying with us, getting multiple rooms, or enjoying a close relationship in one room. The cost of adding a third person to this room is $20 and includes an extra breakfast and the rollaway bed. The cost of getting a second room is substantially greater. We wish everyone would get two rooms and be more comforatable, but recognize that sometimes that just isn't possible.

Reviewed October 26, 2009

We stayed for three nights while hubby attended a conference at the local country club. We booked one of the larger rooms because we came with lots of "stuff" and we like to spread out. While the hotel is "vintage" the bed was comfortable and everything was spotless. I spent some time each day in the parlor reading and visiting with Lynn, Linda and Connie who provided information about local eateries and attractions. I also did some reading on the upstairs balcony. Our only regret was that we did not bring our bicycles. As an added bonus, the food and service at the Hotel Charlotte are some of the best anywhere.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2009

There aren’t a lot of lodging options in or near Yosemite National Park. Hotel Charlotte was a good choice as it is relatively close to the Northern Big Oak Flat Entrance. We stayed our second night at Wawona Hotel in the park so we could experience the southern side of the park also. But, if you want to spend a couple days exploring Yosemite Valley - and believe me there is a couple of days worth of stuff to do - it would be very convenient to stay several nights in Groveland and travel into the park each day. I had expected the Hotel Charlotte to be more of a bed and breakfast experience, but it just felt like an (old) historic hotel. The rooms and bathroom are very small, but adequate as a place to sleep and clean up. The breakfast was good, plenty of food and satisfactory. One significant negative about the experience was the excessively load noise (music) from the bar across the street. I am not a light sleeper, but I like to sleep with windows open. It was impossible with the sounds coming into our room until the early morning hours. I would not normally complain about something like this, but it was bad enough that I was more than ready to check out the next morning. However, to be fair, I don't think any of the hotels in Groveland would be any quieter. It is a very small town!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Susan_ikt
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Had wonderful stay. Excellent staff, excellent food, and just loved it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We stayed in one of the apartments that they manage. It was a very nice unit, particularly suitable for a family -- queen bed in one room and two twins in another. We liked the design -- no divider between eat-in kitchen and living room -- which gave it a very open feeling. It had a full kitchen, with standard-sized fridge, oven, and dishwasher, and a full complement of dishes and cooking utensils. Our unit had a computer for guests, which proved useful for, among other things, booking our hotel room for our departure night in Fresno. Lynn is a delight and appears born to be in the hospitality business. Victor is a chef, not a cook, a chef. You have to eat in the restaurant at least one night. Breakfast is a serious meal, with pancakes, eggs, sausages, cereal, yogurt, fruit, english muffins, and toast. The hotel is two minutes from the apartment, on the way to Yosemite, so breakfast for us apartment-dwellers was as convenient as it was for the hotel residents.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
Yosemite Cedar Lodge
Yosemite Cedar Lodge
#2 of 2 in El Portal
All Seasons Groveland Inn B&B

Been to Hotel Charlotte? Share your experiences!