There's much to love about Evergreen Lodge -- it's rustic and charming to the max. The quintessential "cabin in the woods" feel was delightful, and I actually enjoyed being cut off from society for a few days. Our cabin was quite small, but clean and comfortable -- fine for my husband and me. I loved the rockers on the porch and the gorgeous tree-lined paths! The bathroom in our Lupine cabin was incredibly small with a pocket door but, again, it was fine and even adorable to us. (No air-conditioning, though a large fan was supplied.)
A few things to consider . . .
• It's almost an hour drive from Yosemite Valley, where most of the action is. At the end of a long day of exploring, that 50-minute drive up the side of a mountain with hair-pin turns can be pretty stressful. The property itself is in the woods and NOT on a cliff, but you'll be traversing several cliffs to get there. The drive is very pretty if you have the stomach for it, though, with several turn-outs to park and take in Yosemite en route to the valley.
• No television, Internet or phone in our cabin. One of the communal buildings did offer wifi, but the connection was admittedly spotty and did not work for two of the three nights we were there. Still, it was actually rather relaxing! I'm a self-professed iPhone addict . . . and even I enjoyed the break. But something to consider if you need to be in touch. (But hey, you're on vacation, right?)
• It's close (just a few miles) from Hetch Hetchy Reservoir, which was very quiet and beautiful. It's much less hectic than Yosemite Valley but gets none of the acclaim, and there's plenty of parking there. If you're staying at Evergreen Lodge, be sure to pop over for a morning walk.
• The property boasts a full restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and we had many meals there out of convenience during our three-day stay. They were all wonderful! The food was great, the service stellar. Sylvia was our server every morning, and her friendliness and positive attitude were refreshing. It was great having a restaurant within an easy walk of our cabin after a long day, especially since we wanted to be out of Yosemite Valley before dusk (again, that drive is killer).
• Evergreen Lodge lies just at the edge of burned area of the 2013 Rim Fire, and the destruction is still very clear. The property itself is beautiful and untouched (though the fire reached right to the edge of the sunset deck), but your drive -- as of May 2014 -- will be through active logging areas where tons of burned trees still stand. Just don't be alarmed as you edge closer to the lodge.
• Lots of activities for families right on the property, and Evergreen leads their own optional, fee-based tours and trips most days. The options sounded wonderful, even though we wound up going on our own. On-site games like ping pong, shuffleboard, pool and small ziplining were really fun, too, and great in the evenings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Evergreen Lodge is a newly expanded full-service historic resort featuring 88 spacious cabins in the woods. The lodge sits on 20 acres just a mile from Yosemite National Park in California, putting top attractions - Yosemite Valley, Tuolumne Meadows and Hetch Hetchy - in easy reach. At the lodge, savor a delicious meal, kick back in the classic tavern and enjoy other amenities, including Evergreen's sun deck, game room, kids play areas, nightly activities and therapeutic massage. Ready for adventure? Evergreen's professional guide service offers a variety of sightseeing, hiking, biking, fly fishing and snowshoeing tours, as well as free planning advice for self-guided adventures. A Frommer's 'Favorite' and 'Highly Recommended' by Fodor's, the Evergreen provides the perfect mix of recreation, relaxation and indulgence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, JackRabbit Systems, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Evergreen Lodge At Yosemite Hotel Groveland
- Evergreen Hotel Groveland
- Evergreen Hotel At Yosemite
- Evergreen Lodge Yosemite