Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
Rush Creek Lodge(Groveland)
$335
Hotels.com
Yosemite Westgate Lodge(Groveland)(Great Value!)
$169
  • Pool
The Groveland Hotel(Groveland)(Great Value!)
$127
$101
$96
Hotels.com
1,821 results
All reviewshetch hetchyzip linevintage cabinrec centergeneral storetwo bedroom cabincustom campingsirius radiobocce ballping pongrecreation arearecreation roomoutdoor fireplacesummer camphot tubrim fireboard games
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is a LONG review -- because I have so much to say about our amazing visit to Evergreen Lodge!

Just returned from a 4-night spring break vacation to Yosemite, the first visit to the area for my six-year old daughter. It says something that she was more excited by the Evergreen Lodge experience then our wonderful trips to Hetch Hetchy and Yosemite Valley! We are thrilled to have found this wonderful family destination.

First, a thank you to what I heard were 250 plus firefighters who heroically toiled to save Evergreen Lodge from the devastating Rim Fire. We were sad and even stunned driving through the barren landscape of burnt trees en route to Evergreen Lodge, and it was sobering to stand on the deck of the pool area and look out at burnt trees that came so close to the property. It was, however, the one vista on the property where we saw this view; there ARE green trees and forest paths and vegetation to be seen/enjoyed.

What mattered to me most was seeing my iPad loving daughter not miss her screen time at all. She was all about taking nature walks around the property, spotting six -- yes six -- deer her first morning walk. She adored sitting on carved wooden animals as we walked to the restaurant or play areas. She adored the kids' zip line and rode it approximately 100 times. She loved our simple but cozy cabin, our private deck, and her own pull-out bed (mom and dad appreciated the king bed and feather pillows). We loved all of the camp touches, from smores each night after dinner to old-fashioned family fun with horseshoes, bocce, ping pong, movie nights, and cabins with games from my youth (Yahtzee!).

I appreciated modern touches (Keurig coffee maker, mini fridge) and green touches too (bath products; signage encouraging strategies for minimizing water consumption).

Another love: meeting people from all over the world. We met families from Africa, London, Germany as well as folks from around the U.S. This place encourages more sociability and friendly hellos to strangers. Kids connect and bond. Grownups too. We have new London pen pals now!

Kudos to the staff who were warm, courteous and professional, from the check-in experience to the wait staff in the restaurants (lots of warm smiles from servers were appreciated).

Loved the store, wished we had had more time for a drink in the tavern, but we were too busy swimming or coming back from the amazing Hetch Hetchy hike and needing to soak in that amazing hot tub. We found the pool a might chilly in April but swam anyway. Wished the pool side food was offered, but not during out stay.

As to the food, I give an A+ to the wonderful breakfasts -- best ham I've had in ages, husband loved the benedicts, and we all loved the french toast and pancakes. Pete's coffee gets you going in the morning. As someone who loves a range of food and has a passion for culinary pursuits, I salute the effort to offer an array of foods on the menu to appeal to diverse tastes. Yes, I found the meals pricey (and you feel a bit trapped for options in that sense when you're there), but there are some more affordable choices. I only had two negative reactions to dining experiences: there was an awfully heavy-handed butter/oils approach to a few dishes (omelette was really soaked in butter one morning, and an otherwise tasty salmon was also quite oily). And one night my daughter's french fries came complete crusted in heavy-handed salt. We sent them back and a same-batch salty replacement bowl was offered. Hated to come off "picky" but we sent them back again, showing the waitress a fry that was covered in salt crystals. They brought back a fresh batch, unsalted, and she apologized twice. These things happen. It didn't ruin our stay, and it was handled respectfully.

Some tips we would offer: we brought in two of our own big bags of items for snacks/drinks/lunch. Make your own PBJs, apple, chips/bag lunches for a day hiking. Pack some waters/yogurts for quick drinks/snacks. Bring up a box of Cliff bars. Then you're set for the busy part of your day, and can budget meals for just breakfast/dinner, or even just dinner.

We were very, very sad to leave. We will be very, very happy to return. And we took a pic of our kid by a sapling tree near the lodge on the last day, vowing we would snap a photo every time we came back to see how much the tree, and our daughter had grown. We hope to take many such photos. Thank you to the owners for doing this place right. (And props for your professional responses to the comments on this site; they are balanced and speak to the customer service we all hope for in life.) This is a place to unwind, unplug, breathe fresh air, and remember to slow down and connect with each other face-to-face.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool areas if you want a quieter stay. Pack lunch fixings for day hikes/budget conscious meals around the ones you will purchase on site.
4  Thank docofsoc1
The_Evergreen_Lodge, Owner at Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Hello, I’m Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen. I’m so pleased to hear that you and your family loved your time with us. Your daughter just might have set a record with 100 turns on the zip line, very impressive! It is terrific to hear that all the outdoor play time rated higher than routine digital entertainment. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughtful review. Chef Tommy constantly strives to make sure each dining experience is thoroughly satisfying and appreciates your feedback as well. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back and thank you for making us part of your future family tradition.

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Fairly nice rooms. Great location. Nice staff. Bar area and food were lovely. Ask for a room away from the pool if u want peace and quiet though; lots of shouting and splashing doesn't provide the 'log cabin' ambiance I was expecting. Great if you have kids though...

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wutheringheight
The_Evergreen_Lodge, Owner at Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Hi, I’m Lee Zimmerman, one of the owners of the Evergreen. I’m happy to read that you enjoyed the food, the location, and our wonderful staff. I am sorry to hear that you didn't get the ‘log cabin’ ambiance you hoped for, especially since we can definitely provide that for you. Hopefully you’ll make your way back to us and we’ll have an opportunity to place you in your ideal location. Our front desk does try their best to accommodate requests for certain types of locations, some more active and others more peaceful. When the Lodge is full it can be a real challenge, but more often than not they manage to place everyone in an area that fits. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to remind everyone that when making a reservation we welcome special requests of this nature; we want everyone to feel that they had an amazing experience all the way around. I hope we’ll get to welcome you back for that perfect getaway.

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

After a day of hiking it was a treat to be at Evergreen. The pool against the mountain backdrop was splendid. Our family enjoyed the pool BBQ dinner too. We took advantage of the extras such as massages and a tour of Yosemite Valley guided by Bethany. Spacious cabin for the four of us. Lodge dining was delicious.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Marcyjl

Hi, I’m Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen. It’s great to read that you took advantage of the full range of experiences, from hiking to massage and everything in between. Nicely done! Thank you for taking the time to share your review.
Cheers,
Lee

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We recently just came back from our stay at Evergreen Lodge. It was a truly great experience. The staff is so warm, friendly and extremely helpful. They were so great with all our questions and our kids. We stayed in a two bedroom cabin with our 11, 8, 6, and 2 year old. It was perfect for us and because it was an enclosed property - we felt totally safe having our kids run all over the grounds - they have an awesome playground with a zip line and a great recreation room. The food was really good. The facilities are perfect for families. The whole experience created a great memory for our kids visiting Yosemite for the first time. They loved it so much that they want to go back in Fall. Another true testament to the great service... we left our 2 year old's beloved stuffed animal behind - I later called that day and Sean said that he had it for us and would mail it out ASAP. By the time we got home from our week long road trip it was here waiting for him. Thank you to everyone at Evergreen Lodge, especially, Nicole, Tessa, Katie, Ashton, Kyle, and Sean. We will see you all very soon.

4  Thank Christine W

Hello, I’m Lee Zimmerman, one of the owners of the Evergreen. How terrific to hear that your entire family not only had such a great time, but also that we came through for you on the beloved stuffed animal rescue. Naturally, I appreciate you taking the time to share your enthusiastic review, but I’d like to say an extra thank you for making the added effort to spotlight some of our team by name. Most everyone at the property reads these reviews and takes them to heart, so your individual praise goes a long way in making their day. It will be fantastic to welcome you all back in the fall – another amazing season!

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed there recently for a family wedding and it was wonderful. The Lodge was SO close to so many Hikes that it made for a great trip since it was so short for me. I was only there for two nights, and with all the wedding activity the closeness to Yosemite Park made it so I could still see some sights! The food in the Tavern was great! The Bacon is wonderful by the way. (and the meals are HUGE so feel free to share). The food is a bit expensive, but the portions are so big it makes sense. The beds are SO comfortable, and the hot tub is great!

Room Tip: Rooms not by the pool are quieter, and there are some Handicapp accessible rooms as well if needed.
1  Thank AndreasenM

Hi, I’m Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen, and I enjoy hearing that you and your family made the most of the Yosemite sightseeing opportunities while you were with us for the wedding. Congratulations to your family members who were married, and we hope to welcome you all back again soon!