“Relaxation & Fun in Yosemite”

Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Groveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

After a day of hiking it was a treat to be at Evergreen. The pool against the mountain backdrop was splendid. Our family enjoyed the pool BBQ dinner too. We took advantage of the extras such as massages and a tour of Yosemite Valley guided by Bethany. Spacious cabin for the four of us. Lodge dining was delicious.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Marcyjl
The_Evergreen_Lodge, Owner at Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Hi, I’m Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen. It’s great to read that you took advantage of the full range of experiences, from hiking to massage and everything in between. Nicely done! Thank you for taking the time to share your review.
Lee

There are newer reviews for Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We recently just came back from our stay at Evergreen Lodge. It was a truly great experience. The staff is so warm, friendly and extremely helpful. They were so great with all our questions and our kids. We stayed in a two bedroom cabin with our 11, 8, 6, and 2 year old. It was perfect for us and because it was an enclosed property - we felt totally safe having our kids run all over the grounds - they have an awesome playground with a zip line and a great recreation room. The food was really good. The facilities are perfect for families. The whole experience created a great memory for our kids visiting Yosemite for the first time. They loved it so much that they want to go back in Fall. Another true testament to the great service... we left our 2 year old's beloved stuffed animal behind - I later called that day and Sean said that he had it for us and would mail it out ASAP. By the time we got home from our week long road trip it was here waiting for him. Thank you to everyone at Evergreen Lodge, especially, Nicole, Tessa, Katie, Ashton, Kyle, and Sean. We will see you all very soon.

4  Thank Christine W

Hello, I’m Lee Zimmerman, one of the owners of the Evergreen. How terrific to hear that your entire family not only had such a great time, but also that we came through for you on the beloved stuffed animal rescue. Naturally, I appreciate you taking the time to share your enthusiastic review, but I’d like to say an extra thank you for making the added effort to spotlight some of our team by name. Most everyone at the property reads these reviews and takes them to heart, so your individual praise goes a long way in making their day. It will be fantastic to welcome you all back in the fall – another amazing season!

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed there recently for a family wedding and it was wonderful. The Lodge was SO close to so many Hikes that it made for a great trip since it was so short for me. I was only there for two nights, and with all the wedding activity the closeness to Yosemite Park made it so I could still see some sights! The food in the Tavern was great! The Bacon is wonderful by the way. (and the meals are HUGE so feel free to share). The food is a bit expensive, but the portions are so big it makes sense. The beds are SO comfortable, and the hot tub is great!

Room Tip: Rooms not by the pool are quieter, and there are some Handicapp accessible rooms as well if needed.
1  Thank AndreasenM

Hi, I’m Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen, and I enjoy hearing that you and your family made the most of the Yosemite sightseeing opportunities while you were with us for the wedding. Congratulations to your family members who were married, and we hope to welcome you all back again soon!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

The rim fire had caused quite some damage and it is pretty evident enroute Evergeen lodge, but don't let that be a dampener. The staff, the wooden cottages, the overall ambience and the food more than makes up for that. The food, I must say was spectacular - don't think I have had filet mignon this good in recent times, the breakfast and the service was also spectacular. We had a toddler and she just soaked in all the attention from the eager to please staff.
I didn't like the fact that we were given a pool side cottage, even though I had specifically requested for a remote cabin. It's not fun waking up and glancing outwards of your cabin window to see a covered up swimming pool - would have preferred a forest view. But the pool and the hot tub was nice. Overall I think the price is a bit pricey @350/night, but the overall ambience, list of things to do and the staff attitude will leave you wanting to come back...

Room Tip: Choose something far away from the pool
1  Thank Padmanabhan V
The_Evergreen_Lodge, Owner at Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Hi, I’m Lee Zimmerman, one of the owners of the Evergreen. I’m happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed so much of what the Evergreen and Yosemite have to offer, and I thank you for sharing so many positive thoughts. I am sorry that your cabin assignment wasn't what you asked for. You bring up a good point. Over the years as we have expanded the property we have made a conscious effort to design well balanced areas for mixed use. So if you find that your cabin location isn't a good fit for your party, our front desk is more than happy to try to relocate you to a different section of the property. Also, when making your reservation you can request the type of area you’d prefer and our front desk will do everything possible to accommodate your request upon arrival. Either way, we usually manage to get everyone in their preferred area, but it doesn't always work out, especially when we’re completely full. Again, I’m sorry it didn't work out during your stay.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you and your family back for another adventure.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I visited last weekend 3/29 - 3/31, I had heard there was a fire last fall but had no idea of the devistation to the area outside the park. There was some damage to the park, but thank God not to Yosemite valley itself. The reason for my poor review is twofold, one... no disclosure of the fire damage that completely surrounds the motel (sorry this is not a hotel, but a motel camp). Two, the lack of any action to remedy or admit fault when this apparent misrepresentation was brought to the attention of management. I am an avid photographer and what these profit minded folks fail to realize is that the total experience is part of the drive to and the ambiance of the area you are visiting. No disclosure that most of the so-called value added amenities are not available due to the fact the motel ia completely surrounded by burnt forest. Be warned, the drive to this place will depress you and your family beyond recovery of enjoyment of your stay. In addition, the furnishings in the cabins are much below rustic and can be easily duplicated within the lists of free items on any inner city Craigslist directory. To charge over $300 a night for this is unbelievable. I understand that the fire was not the fault of the motel, but why not be honest with full disclosure on your website for those who have no other way of making an informed decision. I would have been happy with the place knowing going in. To end, when I pointed these facts to the owner, I was told "no one is holding you hostage.... just leave". Well folks after a 6 hour drive with twk toddlers and no where else to go... I am hostage!!! SO WHY NOT DISCLOSE THE FACTS, LOWER THE PRICE OR AT LEAST UPGRADE YOUR FLEA MARKET AMBIANCE to justify your price? This place could be great with some honesty and investment.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
29  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The_Evergreen_Lodge, Owner at Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Hi, I’m Lee Zimmerman, one of the owners of the Evergreen. I am really sorry to hear about your disappointing visit. That’s the last thing we’d like to happen. You make a very good point that we should do a better job of letting folks know that on their way up to the lodge they will pass through burn areas from the Rim Fire so they are not surprised. As I’m sure you saw, the fire moved through the forest in patchwork fashion, severely burning certain areas, partially affecting some and leaving others untouched. There is a beautiful photo of one of the pristine areas along Evergreen Road leading to the lodge after a light snowfall that we just recently posted on our Facebook page (Evergreen Lodge Yosemite). We are in the process of launching a new website and we have indeed already created a page dedicated to the Rim Fire so that guests are well informed. We had hoped to have the new site up already, but since it isn't ready to launch yet, we went ahead and created the Rim Fire education page on our existing site as well – thanks for raising awareness about the need.

I find your representation of the lodge as a motel most inaccurate, as is affirmed by the many other strongly positive reviews we have received. Our newly built, spacious cabins in the woods spread over 20 acres of old growth forest we feel are quite special and beautiful. Your description of the furnishings couldn't be farther from accurate in our estimation. We worked with a wonderful, renowned interior designer to create the classic, yet fresh feel of our interiors, which include custom made furniture, lighting and artwork, and we are quite proud of the aesthetic, which has been consistently well received by guests. We also provide many photos of our cabin and public area interiors on our website, so the look and feel should have come as no surprise.

I hope you took advantage of the many recreational opportunities that still abound in and around the Evergreen. While internal National Forest areas are still closed until the Forest Service ensures they are safe for access, all trails in our magnificent Hetch Hetchy area of Yosemite are open, as are the nearby Tuolumne & Merced Groves of Giant Sequoias and Yosemite’s other major attractions. All outdoor facilities at the Evergreen as well as our full slate of daily activities are available as always. Most of our varied guided recreation trips are also available as usual and were unaffected by the fire.

You mention discussions with the owner during your visit – to clarify, I believe you mean our General Manger, as my business partner and I were not at the lodge last weekend. I also believe you didn't represent our GM’s comments accurately. My understanding is that he offered to allow you a full refund if you weren't happy, rather than making you feel held hostage if you didn't want to stay with us. I also understand he repeatedly checked in with your family during your two night stay to make sure things were going OK with you, and that he was given the impression that you were having a nice time once you settled in. Knowing that you had concerns when you arrived, our front desk manager also made sure to check in with you at the end of your visit to make sure you were feeling good about your stay.

All I can say regarding your comment to upgrade our ‘flea market ambiance’ is that, since buying the historic Evergreen 12 years ago, the lodge has been our sole focus, and we have put over $15 million dollars as well as all of our heart into making it a special and wonderful feeling property. Most of our guests love what we have done and the special, relaxed, yet refined, environment we have created, as evidenced in the many positive reviews and hundreds of enthusiastic emails we have received.

I am truly sorry you didn't enjoy your experience with us. My business partner and I own this lodge because we like to provide amazing hospitality experiences for people, and I am most disappointed that we didn't deliver in your case. Know that we’ll continue to work to give everyone who stays with us a wonderful, memorable experience.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Be prepared to unplug and unwind at the Evergreen Lodge. My family of 4 just stayed here for a weekend and we loved it! It was at least the third time we've been to the Evergreen (the first time was in the spring of 2007). We took advantage of the "Friends and Family" discount to book one of the 2-bedroom family cabins. We appreciated the extra space and privacy. My daughters enjoyed having a room to themselves. They also had a great time exploring the property and finding all the play spaces.

The Evergreen is off the beaten path and since the fire in 2013, the landscape is quite stark on the way to the resort. We weren't sure what to expect as we drove in but the property itself is exactly as I'd remembered it from past trips, with some great additions like more cabins, the enclosed restaurant patio and the heated tent with the extra ping pong tables.

We had breakfast and dinner at the restaurant on both days and the varied menu was quite tasty. The service was wonderful overall and everyone was friendly and helpful.

Next time I'll have to book extra days. We were in the Yosemite valley most of the time, but it would've been nice to have spent at least one day just at the resort to slow down and take it easy. The Evergreen is quiet and peaceful - no TV, very limited wifi and Internet access and definitely no cellular access. It was good to unplug for a few days.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Mailmanorama

Hi, I’m Lee, one of the owners of Evergreen, and I’m delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time with us last month. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit. Thank you for taking the time to share your review.
Lee Zimmerman

Reviewed March 28, 2014

My husband and & I stayed here in September 2013, just after the rim fire and literally the week before the government shut-down closed all the national parks. We couldn't have been luckier and we certainly couldn't have been happier with our selection of the Evergreen Lodge. The cabins were very clean and homey and the pool area is very nice.
We had a problem with the hot water one evening and the maintenance staff came right away to correct the problem. The service in the restaurant was excellent and the food was delicious. The staff was very helpful planning daily hikes through Yosemite.
I would love to visit again and would not hesitate to recommend the Evergreen Lodge to anyone.

Room Tip: The cabins in the Wapama area are quiet but only a short walk to all the activities.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sue F

Hi, I’m Lee, one of the owners of the Evergreen, and I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us last fall. How wonderful that the timing worked out for you and your Yosemite adventures. Thank you for taking the time to share your review and especially for reminding everyone that our staff is always happy to help plan daily hikes and other excursions. We hope to welcome you back for future adventures.
Lee Zimmerman

Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Rush Creek Lodge
#3 of 7 in Groveland
The Groveland Hotel
The Groveland Hotel
#5 of 7 in Groveland

Been to Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!