Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
Yosemite Westgate Lodge(Groveland)(Great Value!)
$249
  • Pool
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $283/night.

The Groveland Hotel(Groveland)(Great Value!)
$199
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
1,851 results
All reviewshetch hetchyvintage cabinrec centergeneral storezip linetwo bedroom cabincustom campingsirius radiobocce ballping ponghot tubrecreation arearecreation roomoutdoor fireplacesummer campnational parkrim fire
Reviewed October 3, 2007

We stayed at the Evergreen Lodge for 4 days in September and had a really great time. I have to address the earlier posts that are speaking negatively about this lodge. One thing you have to realize is that you are in the mountains, far from malls, grocery stores, cell phone towers etc. That is hopefully the reason you came to the mountains so please don't expect the best of both worlds. There may not be great internet, exceptional food and walmart prices, but hopefully you don't come to the Evergreen for those reasons. Hopefully you come to enjoy the outdoors and feel close to nature, be a little rustic and enjoy the beauty of the lodge and its history. If not, no hard feelings, but this might not be the right place for you.

I think the Evergreen Lodge does a great job of providing very clean accomodations and a very relaxing atmosphere. The front desk staff was extremely nice and happy to help. I loved the sattellite radio in the room! At night we came home after a long day of hiking and turned on some good music and had a glass of wine or listened to a radio program. I felt like we had gone back to a time without TV or cell phones and really got to spend quality time without distractions.

We stayed in an older cabin that was very cute and simple. The only two negative things I had to say about this lodge are that the heater in the room would make loud clancking noises at random times, often jolting us up out of bed at night and the water pressure was very very spotty in the shower, which is to be expected when you are up in the mountains at a cabin, so it didn't bother us too much.

The restaurant quality was only average, but we didn't find the portions skimpy at all (as mentioned in earlier posts), in fact we ordered one meal and a salad and shared our meal on most nights.

Also, Yosemite was amazing and the lodge is a great jumping off point to explore it! I wish we could've stayed longer at the Evergreen Lodge and taken advantage of some of their recreation programs. We will be back as soon as possible!

2  Thank Amberly
Reviewed September 30, 2007

We stayed at the Evergreen Lodge for 2 nights on a recent trip to Yosemite after having driven there from San Francisco. We had a brilliant time and really enjoyed our stay. There are a few negative reviews from other visitors but most of these are about the service or the cabins not being kitted out with enough home comforts. If you are looking for silver service waiter service and 5 star room conditions you aren't going to find them at Evergreen Lodge. What you will find are comfortable, clean cabins in a beautiful setting close to the entrance of the Yosemite national park. The rooms have everything you need: comfy beds, a hot shower, a fridge and even a satellite radio. Plus, a nice porch with rocking chairs to hang out in at the end of the day.

The restaurant is excellent but you definitely need to book earlier in the day. Admittedly the service is not great but then we weren't in a rush and a couple extra minutes waiting isn't a problem when you're on holiday. The food is brilliant and there is something for everyone on the menu. The burger i had in the restaurant was one of the best I've ever had anywhere in the world. The bar is a great place to hang out after dinner and is really lively until late into the evening.

The lodge has amazing facilities given its location in the woods. There is a 24 hour room with a big fire where you can hang out, access the internet for free or play board games, (you can even learn how to weave baskets!) There were even people toasting marshmallows on the fire when we were there. There's also another room where they show movies on a big screen and tv/dvd players are available to hire if you can't amuse yourself in the evening.

Be advised that the Evergreen lodge is about 1hrs drive from Yosemite valley, which is the heart of the park, but the Hetch Hetchy side of the park (only two miles away), is worth exploring as it's quieter and more peaceful.

One minor negative is that bookings using a credit card involves emailing your card details across email (which is unsecure). I would definitely recommend booking over the phone if you can afford to call the lodge directly.

All in all, Evergreen Lodge is a great place to stay and we would definitely go back again. I only wish we'd stayed longer and i was disappointed that we didn't manage to see a bear but never mind. Maybe next time!

Reviewed September 27, 2007

Spent 3 nights here on our honeymoon. Thought the cabins were really delightful - particularly the porch and rockers! We were in one of the older cabins and thought it was great - tight for space maybe but made no difference to us, particularly as ours was on its own which we enjoyed - especially not sharing the porch! Ate at the restaurant each night. Unless you're prepared to drive a fair distance this is the only option. The food was fine although the service could be a bit slow, but servers friendly. The location couldn't be improved. Really close to Hetch Hetchy which enabled you to get away from the crowds (a difficulty in August!) and an hours, pretty, drive from Yosemite Valley.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Garj
Reviewed September 26, 2007

My husband and I are just back from our first trip to Yosemite National Park. After reading reviews from trip advisor we thought it was worth a try, we decided to book directly with the lodge.
On our arrival we thought that the lodge was in a great location, the staff were all very friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the new cabins which was extremely clean and very comfortable. There was a balcony to the rear of our lodge which was nice to chill out and relax after a hard day on your feet.
We decided to eat at the lodges' restaurant and were advised to book, this was a good idea as it was very popular. The food was tremendous, a very high standard throughout the menu and seemed to offer something for every palette. As a rule of thumb we are not that sweet toothed but after gentle persuation from the waiter we decided to have the bread pudding served with cinnamon ice cream, believe me it was delicious!
We will definately be back to Yosemite National Park and we would choose to stay in Evergreen Lodge again and again.

2  Thank ailie1
Reviewed September 26, 2007

We got married in Vegas and then when for a few days in Lake Tahoe and then few in Yosemite before heading back to Vegas, it was a choice between the Tenaya Lodge in Fish Camp an the evergreen lodge. The Evergreen lodge was a different type of property and we did not expect the same level of luxury and also it was $60 per night cheaper, we chose it as it seemed closer to camping which we really enjoy and thought it would be nicer to be more well rustic for a couple of nights.

When we drove in to the lodge we were really excited you could see all these lovely cabins and it looked nice it was only about 20 minutes drive from the West entrance to Yosemite so the location was good too. We checked in and the woman at checking seemed cold and rather odd, even thought it was about 4pm she made it seem that she was doing us a favour by letting us have keys at this time. She suggested that if we wished to eat we should make a reservation as the restaurant is always busy so we did for 7.30pm.

We got into the cabin and whilst small and basic was nice, there are no TV’s in the rooms but that did not bother us and you do get a great satellite radio. We dumped our stuff and had a wander and walked the nature trail that was set up by the lodge and this was good fun. We came back showered and then went to the restaurant, what a shambles, despite our booking we had to wait until gone 8pm before we were seated and were served (and I use this term very loosely) by someone who hated his job (possibly because he was not very good at it) and knew that he could act as he wished as we had no other dining options, we skipped starters and waited 20 minutes before he took our order, we waited another 35 minutes or so before the food came, it was a burger and lasagne. Now the food was very very good but I asked our waiter for ketchup and it did not come after 15 minutes of waiting and trying to catch his attention I did and he slammed it on the table no apology. Usually the service in America is super this place was terrible, usually you get a nice “is everything ok with your meal” from him we got “how’s yer food” I am thinking that this is because if he asked about the meal you would comment on the service!

We usually don’t get towels changed when we are away, we don’t at home and it helps the environment but due to a shaving mishap and a coffee mishap we needed them changed so followed the instructions and left them on the bathroom floor. We were out of the cabin at 7am and got back at about 7pm and the bed had been made but nothing else had been cleaned nor the towels changed! I had eaten at Curry camp in the day but my wife had not and wanted something light so we got some drinks from the bar and sat outside and then tried to order her a burger and fries! I tried to order at the bar but was told that they did not serve outside this late in the season, I asked if we would serve me at the bar and I would take it outside, he told me I had to be seated at a certain table, he showed me the tables about (6)but they were all full, (at least 2 with people not eating) I asked what the options were, he said wait for a free table of eat in the restaurant. I asked could you not just serve me here pretend I am at a table and I will then take it outside to my wife and bring the dirty plate back in, he said know I had to be seated at a table. So we ended up back in the restaurant with the same waiter and worse problems he did not take the order for 20 minutes and when my wife called him over he took it and was close to being rude, scrub that he was bloody rude. We eventually got her burger which was again great but the service the worst ever.

The cherry on the trifle was the power cut the next morning from about 5am until we left at 9am no hot water, no lights, no coffee etc no apology from the staff the answer “these things happen”.

Good points
Great location
Free web access and good selection of board games
Great food (though not cheap)

Bad points
Terrible service from everyone aside form one lady who worked in the shop
No power and this was not that rare apparently
Once you are there you are effectively stuck
Very overpriced for what you receive
Accomdation very very basic

if you have any questions please feel free to email or pm me

• Stayed: August 2007