Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
Rush Creek Lodge(Groveland)
$400
Yosemite Westgate Lodge(Groveland)(Great Value!)
$219
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
1,835 results
All reviewshetch hetchyzip linevintage cabinrec centergeneral storetwo bedroom cabincustom campingsirius radiobocce ballping pongrecreation arearecreation roomoutdoor fireplacesummer camphot tubrim fireboard games
Reviewed September 27, 2007

Spent 3 nights here on our honeymoon. Thought the cabins were really delightful - particularly the porch and rockers! We were in one of the older cabins and thought it was great - tight for space maybe but made no difference to us, particularly as ours was on its own which we enjoyed - especially not sharing the porch! Ate at the restaurant each night. Unless you're prepared to drive a fair distance this is the only option. The food was fine although the service could be a bit slow, but servers friendly. The location couldn't be improved. Really close to Hetch Hetchy which enabled you to get away from the crowds (a difficulty in August!) and an hours, pretty, drive from Yosemite Valley.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Garj
Reviewed September 26, 2007

My husband and I are just back from our first trip to Yosemite National Park. After reading reviews from trip advisor we thought it was worth a try, we decided to book directly with the lodge.
On our arrival we thought that the lodge was in a great location, the staff were all very friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the new cabins which was extremely clean and very comfortable. There was a balcony to the rear of our lodge which was nice to chill out and relax after a hard day on your feet.
We decided to eat at the lodges' restaurant and were advised to book, this was a good idea as it was very popular. The food was tremendous, a very high standard throughout the menu and seemed to offer something for every palette. As a rule of thumb we are not that sweet toothed but after gentle persuation from the waiter we decided to have the bread pudding served with cinnamon ice cream, believe me it was delicious!
We will definately be back to Yosemite National Park and we would choose to stay in Evergreen Lodge again and again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ailie1
Reviewed September 26, 2007

We got married in Vegas and then when for a few days in Lake Tahoe and then few in Yosemite before heading back to Vegas, it was a choice between the Tenaya Lodge in Fish Camp an the evergreen lodge. The Evergreen lodge was a different type of property and we did not expect the same level of luxury and also it was $60 per night cheaper, we chose it as it seemed closer to camping which we really enjoy and thought it would be nicer to be more well rustic for a couple of nights.

When we drove in to the lodge we were really excited you could see all these lovely cabins and it looked nice it was only about 20 minutes drive from the West entrance to Yosemite so the location was good too. We checked in and the woman at checking seemed cold and rather odd, even thought it was about 4pm she made it seem that she was doing us a favour by letting us have keys at this time. She suggested that if we wished to eat we should make a reservation as the restaurant is always busy so we did for 7.30pm.

We got into the cabin and whilst small and basic was nice, there are no TV’s in the rooms but that did not bother us and you do get a great satellite radio. We dumped our stuff and had a wander and walked the nature trail that was set up by the lodge and this was good fun. We came back showered and then went to the restaurant, what a shambles, despite our booking we had to wait until gone 8pm before we were seated and were served (and I use this term very loosely) by someone who hated his job (possibly because he was not very good at it) and knew that he could act as he wished as we had no other dining options, we skipped starters and waited 20 minutes before he took our order, we waited another 35 minutes or so before the food came, it was a burger and lasagne. Now the food was very very good but I asked our waiter for ketchup and it did not come after 15 minutes of waiting and trying to catch his attention I did and he slammed it on the table no apology. Usually the service in America is super this place was terrible, usually you get a nice “is everything ok with your meal” from him we got “how’s yer food” I am thinking that this is because if he asked about the meal you would comment on the service!

We usually don’t get towels changed when we are away, we don’t at home and it helps the environment but due to a shaving mishap and a coffee mishap we needed them changed so followed the instructions and left them on the bathroom floor. We were out of the cabin at 7am and got back at about 7pm and the bed had been made but nothing else had been cleaned nor the towels changed! I had eaten at Curry camp in the day but my wife had not and wanted something light so we got some drinks from the bar and sat outside and then tried to order her a burger and fries! I tried to order at the bar but was told that they did not serve outside this late in the season, I asked if we would serve me at the bar and I would take it outside, he told me I had to be seated at a certain table, he showed me the tables about (6)but they were all full, (at least 2 with people not eating) I asked what the options were, he said wait for a free table of eat in the restaurant. I asked could you not just serve me here pretend I am at a table and I will then take it outside to my wife and bring the dirty plate back in, he said know I had to be seated at a table. So we ended up back in the restaurant with the same waiter and worse problems he did not take the order for 20 minutes and when my wife called him over he took it and was close to being rude, scrub that he was bloody rude. We eventually got her burger which was again great but the service the worst ever.

The cherry on the trifle was the power cut the next morning from about 5am until we left at 9am no hot water, no lights, no coffee etc no apology from the staff the answer “these things happen”.

Good points
Great location
Free web access and good selection of board games
Great food (though not cheap)

Bad points
Terrible service from everyone aside form one lady who worked in the shop
No power and this was not that rare apparently
Once you are there you are effectively stuck
Very overpriced for what you receive
Accomdation very very basic

if you have any questions please feel free to email or pm me

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank SEW109
Reviewed September 17, 2007

I wanted to take my kids (10 and 12) for one last summer escape so I booked Evergreen Lodge based on favorable reviews - also I didn't want to camp!! Feeling nervous about what to do with the kids all day I reserved two guided trips: High Country Naturalist Hike to Idyllic Alpine Lakes and 'Bike, Hike & Swim' at Granite Gorge.

The High Country Naturalist Hike was supposed to be with an "expert naturalist " Jimmy was neither. To make a long story short. We endured a 45 minute terrifying ride into Yosemite - Jimmy should not be allowed to drive a van! We hiked on a trail with scant commentary regarding Yosemite etc. Jimmy also did not slow down to see if we were even behind him!! We went "off trail" and proceeded to get quite lost. Jimmy even pulled out a map and compass!! I was very concerned, and asked Jimmy point blank if he could promise us he knew where we were. He promised and after another 45 minutes we found Polly Dome Lake (by shear luck). I noted where we went in and when it was time to leave Jimmy promptly walked the wrong direction "off trail" again. I refused to follow and said I would wait while he scoped it out. Jimmy returned after about 10 minutes and agreed that we should walk out my way on the trail. Additionally, there was another couple with us who did not seem very Back Country savvy but hung in there while Jimmy was walking around in circles.

The management offered us free drinks and dessert and a small refund. I'm not certain they understood how serious the situation was and I hope they do not send out unqualified employees on "guided hikes" in the future.

We left one day early because I was uncomfortable after our "Hike from Hell" and the food situation is very grim (Sysco only - no fresh fruit for two days). The front office was patient and polite.

By the way, the bike trip was decent.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Active-Mom
Reviewed September 6, 2007

We had a lovely cabin with outdoor decking area overlooking the forest. In the middle of nowhere with only a satellite radio for company a real getaway after busy days trekking in yosemite. food in the restaurant was nice, glad we booked our table as it was busy. No cooking facilities on site, a little fridge was in our room which we used for milk and drinks but take snacks with you as there on site shop is on the expensive side and there is nothing around for miles. Takes nearly an hours drive around some very windy roads to get here from the main parts of yosemite, but we saw deers and bears on the way so it was good. Free internet access and games. We really enjoyed our stay, this was an expensive place for us travelling on a budget but well worth it. Would definately return.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple