Review Highlights
Amazing 2-day tour with John and Vivian!

My family of 11 engaged John and Vivian's tour service for a 2-day tour of Yosemite in March. Prior... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
JanetC3166
Superb guide for Yosemite visit!

We arrived in Yosemite a few nights ago with little planned. We had no guide service, and were... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Wiz628
Seattle, Washington

Recommended experiences in and around Groveland
from $181.00
from $207.00
from $269.00
More Info
All reviews backpacking trip two days his knowledge high sierras el capitan day trip exceeded our expectations top of the line out of the way mile hike into consideration next morning flora and fauna awesome guide great guy thanks john short notice
Selected filters
Reviewed November 4, 2018

John gave us a fantastic family tour of Yosemite. Lots of history and great facts about Yosemite and visits to parts we would just not of gone to and things we would not of learnt or known without his vast knowledge of the park.
Well recommended to get the most from your visit.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

This was my second hiking adventure with John and first with his assisant, Kiristen. Both are very professional and knowledgeable . It was a great trip. Whether you are a novice or experienced hiker, I would recommend John and his crew for any type of hiking trip. The equipment is top of the line and well maintained. The food is also very tasty.
Kathy H.

Date of experience: July 2018
Vivian C, Manager at Yosemite Guide Service, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2019

Kathy, thank you so much for your review of YGS! We are happy to hear that you had yet another wonderful experience and adventure in Yosemite National Park with our service. We look forward to seeing you again!
John & Vivian

Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

I went on my first multiple day trip with John and Kirsten. It was amazing! John was an excellent guide that showed us many beautiful places on our hike. Kirsten was absolutely wonderful as well. She was so helpful and kind. She knows the outdoors very well and helped us with absolutely anything we needed. John was very professional and maintained a positive attitude the entire time. He was witty which was amazing to me. I really enjoyed being around him and Kirsten. I would go anywhere with them in a heartbeat. Oh and he brought his dog along, Parker. Parker topped off the trip! He was very well behaved and led the way most of the time. He was always checking on us to make sure we were alright. It was so relaxing to have Parker with us. I loved it! Hope to see you again soon!!

Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

Had an amazing trip with John and Kirsten guiding us through the Ansel Adam's Wilderness area. This is the second trip that my friends and I have used John and his guide service. Our hike was set to leave just a few days after the Ferguson fires began. John had prepped us months in advance for this hike, and kept us all up to speed as the fire progressed. Luckily we were able to stick with our plan A, which was totally amazing.
I will be hiking in the Yosemite area in the future and look forward to using John as our guide again. I highly recommend!!

Date of experience: August 2018
Vivian C, Guest Relations Manager at Yosemite Guide Service, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you Laurah for your most excellent review! We appreciate it very much. Kirsten and John thoroughly enjoyed guiding you into the back country of Yosemite to experience the beauty that is found there. Turned out to be a great trip, with a bit of suspense ;)

Anytime you plan to come back for some adventures, give us a call. Yosemite is ever changing and it seems there are always new things to see!

Vivian and John
YGS

Reviewed August 2, 2018

Myself and my daughter (11) spent an amazing 2 night/3 days hiking in the Hoover Wilderness. I was looking for a backpacking trip during our recent trip to California. All the organised tours were full, so I was referred to John. John provided plenty of useful information before we committed to the trip. John provided all the gear we needed. We were very fortunate to have John, Vivian, Kirsten and Parker (the dog) join us for the 1st day hike. John has an amazing detailed knowledge of the history and ecology of the area.

Robb, our guide for the 3 day trip is a Biology teacher so was very knowledgeable and a seasoned backpacker. Robb made us feel like we were seasoned hikers after a few hours. We both felt very comfortable and very safe.

If you want to experience the high Sierra Nevada's away from the crowds and are happy to wild camp, this is for you. This was our first time wild camping and it was very exciting. The scenery is spectacular. The hike is manageable so long as you are reasonable fit.

A big thank you to John, Vivian, Kristen, Parker and especially Robb. An awesome 3 days and cannot wait to come back. Personally, the best 3 days of the entire 3 week trip.

Date of experience: July 2018

Thank you so much for this excellent review Dale! It was so nice to hike with you and your daughter and our pleasure to bring you into the beauty of the High Sierra mountains.
Good to hear that both of you enjoyed yourselves and will pass on your praises to Rob :)
Thanks again for choosing YGS!!

Vivian and John