Review Highlights
Amazing 2-day tour with John and Vivian!

My family of 11 engaged John and Vivian's tour service for a 2-day tour of Yosemite in March. Prior... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
JanetC3166
Superb guide for Yosemite visit!

We arrived in Yosemite a few nights ago with little planned. We had no guide service, and were... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Wiz628
Seattle, Washington

Recommended experiences in and around Groveland
from $181.00
from $207.00
from $269.00
More Info
All reviews backpacking trip two days his knowledge high sierras el capitan day trip exceeded our expectations top of the line out of the way mile hike into consideration next morning flora and fauna awesome guide great guy thanks john short notice
Selected filters
Reviewed December 11, 2017

We were two couples planning a trip to Yosemite, and found John. He's great! We were there in October while the fires were raging in the Napa Valley, and there were a some fires in Yosemite. He planned our two days so that the first day we went to Glacier Point before the crowds got bad, then came back to the Valley after the smoke had dissipated somewhat. The second day he took us on a great hike just outside the park in an area that was not crowed at all. He made the best use of our limited time and we saw more than we ever could on our own. He's lived near Yosemite his entire life, so knows the area and the history, and loves to share his knowledge. He's a great guide that I can highly recommend!

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Katheryn D
Reviewed September 30, 2017

We came across reviews for John's guide service on TripAdvisor and scheduled a day of hiking in mid-September. It was our first trip to the region and we were interested in seeing parts of the Yosemite area we might not otherwise venture into. John presented a number of options (and I have no doubt they all would have been great) and we elected for two shorter hikes in order to enjoy the diversity of different terrain and scenery.

The first hike was to the top of one of the lesser traveled granite domes. We also took a short side trip to the dome's ever-so-slightly smaller neighboring rock formation after I re-evaluated my fear of heights (John was really understanding and smoothly adjusted our plan). For our second hike, we were joined by John's dog Parker, who was GREAT! Seriously, every person out hiking that day enjoyed meeting Parker, who is definitely the world's best behaved fur-person. That hike took us to an abandoned mining camp from the late 1800's up to a postcard-perfect alpine lake. Both hiking locations were incredible and had none of the crowds of other areas. Before we parted ways after having some celebratory ice cream at Tuolumne Meadows, John recommended a number of other hikes he thought we might like to check out during the rest of our stay (we completed two of them - both fantastic). We truly enjoyed the day and would book another hike (or a backpacking trip) with John (and Parker!).

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed September 19, 2017

John does everything right -- top-quality location, top-quality gear, and a top-quality experience. He took my husband and I on a two-day private camping trip that was customized to our needs. (I also understand he also does same-day trips but we didn't do that.) We saw unique places that the guidebooks just don't show you. Way off the beaten path. The trip was beautiful, fun and energizing. John tailored the trip to our needs, adjusting on the fly to our mood of the day. John is super knowledgeable and just an all-around good guy. If you are looking for a private camping trip in the Yosemite area that adjusts to fit your needs, this is the one to take.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed September 4, 2017

John Kleinfelter provided a customized tour for our two couples (ages 65-70) of the Valley major points of interest. His knowledge of the geology and history of the park was outstanding as was his presentation. John provided transportation for our party of four which was a big plus. We give John a five star rating as a guide service.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed August 31, 2017

I can't say enough about John. He was wonderful from start to finish. He setup the perfect two day Yosemite tour for my family. We spent the first day in Yosemite Valley and the second in the Tuolumne Meadows & Tioga Pass area. Don't try to do this yourself! It is worth every penny to have John take you around and show you things you would never see on your own. I hired John to be our guide and honestly feel like I left with a new friend.

Date of experience: August 2017