“A great experience.”

Yosemite Guide Service
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Groveland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Customized, private outings providing exceptional day hikes, backpacking trips, camping trips, and special tours - guided by professionally trained naturalists in the Sierra Nevada and Yosemite National Park. Specializing in small groups and exclusive, customized trips, Yosemite Guide Service leads you to the less visited, more secluded, and most extraordinary destinations. With over 25 years of experience and regional knowledge, explore Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada wilderness with a professionally trained naturalist.
Melbourne, Australia
“A great experience.”
Reviewed April 14, 2011

We recently did a tour with John to Yosemite. We tried twice to get into Yosemite with our RV, but the park was closed due to a massive snow bizzard, rock slides and power outages. We stayed at Groveland and decided a day tour was our only option as we couldn't put snow chains on our RV.
It turned out to be the best day. John has so much local knowledge and history about Yosemite, we could not have seen or leant so much in a day without him. There were four of us on the tour. We were all from Melbourne.
We would definitely recommend John and Yosemite Guide Service.

Visited March 2011

Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A great experience I will always remember”
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Not sure what to expect with a trip to Yosemite in the snow but I found John to be incredibly knowledgeable about the terrain, history, flora and fauna. Just an amazing enhancement to an incredible place. Highly recommend utilizing this service for anyone who wants a new experience. Just a great time. Cap it off with a visit to the Iron Door or any of the local restaurants. Great people all the way around. I will be back again with friends

Visited March 2011
Cary, North Carolina
“Worth every penny”
Reviewed February 3, 2011

If you have been to Yosemite several times and know your way around you should probably hire John anyway. He knows much more than what roads to take. John has the heart of a teacher and you can tell that he spends the time when he doesn't have customers to learn all he can about every aspect of Yosemite. Plants, animals, history, rock formations, pretty much anything you ask he knows. On top of all that, he's a truly nice guy who seemed more lika a friend by the end of the day than a "tour guide." The small size of the tour party made it especially personal and he will gladly stop for photo opps when possible and spend more time in areas where your interests lie. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Visited January 2011
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“A Guide for Guide Haters”
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I do not usually like guides. Normally I do my own research and head out by myself or with friends. I find guides not worth their money and entirely self serving. Fortunately John was what the perfect guides should be, friendly, knowledgeable, and highly qualified. My family and I went to Yosemite in mid-January and since we did not know what to expect with the weather conditions we hired John to take us into the park. It was a wonderful experience even for me who normally hates guides.He was safe, honest, and fairly priced. I honestly hope to travel back to Yosemite and going on a 5 day backpack through the Sierras and my first call is going to be to see if I can set up a trip with John.
Best Part: Everything
Worst Part: Having to leave
What to Bring: Just call Yosemite Guide Service, John will tell you.

Visited January 2011
Paris, France
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Tailor-made experience second to none !!!”
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Advised by a local, I had the chance to get in touch with John a couple of weeks only before my arrival.
As it was my first visit in Yosemite National Park, I was looking for something different.

As a frequent worldwide traveller I am always in search of an inner, deeper experience than the average touristic experiences provided by most of the operators.

John immediately made me at ease and I felt that I could trust him. I did and I am glad I did !!

Beyond his genuine kindness and his tremendous knowledge of every aspect of wildlife in the United States (he is working for CA Fish and Wildlife Service after all) John offers you a global experience that cannot be beaten by others.

John will tailor made, along with you, your one or several days experience based on your physical condition, interests and schedule. He is also driving, allowing you to fully enjoy your journey.
You will discover places you wouldn't even dream of, which only few people know!

John does not provide you with a tour, John creates a journey for you, that's completely different.
My only wish would be to come back to California and spend some time with my friend John ... and I hope I will!

Visited August 2010