“Simply perfect!”

Big Creek Meadow Ranch
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I am really glad to share with you the great experience we have had in this lovely ranch, surrounded by meadows and amazing views of Yosemite Park (an hour's drive away). We've been warmly welcomed by Joy and enjoyed so much her cosy, spacious, comfortable room and the quietness of the place. Each of the three rooms has its own private terrasse and you can enjoy Joy's breakfast there while surrounded by her adorable, sociable kittens. The place is beautiful, relaxing and so welcoming we would have liked to spend more than one night there!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mochoka
There are newer reviews for Big Creek Meadow Ranch

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Be aware this is not a typical bed and breakfast. We arrived to check in and no one was there. There is no cell phone service, since it is in the middle of nowhere. After waiting for half an hour, we drove into town to their "sister" bed and breakfast to see if we could find anything out. They called the owner, who didn't know where our "hosts" were. The owner was unavailable to meet us and let us in our room, so we had to wait until our hosts could be found and meet us, which took an hour. While we were waiting, the lady at the sister b&b told us they were having a hard time finding good help. No kidding. When we finally got checked in, the guy took my card into the next room to scan it to pay for the room. It was odd, but I didn't think much of it until I got call from our bank. Our checking account got cleaned out over the next two days while we were in Yosemite. Fortunately, the bank stopped all the fraudulent charges and put all the money back. But I still had to spend a morning of our vacation filing a police report, and I'm sure it was the host at this place who stole the number. While I am also sure that guy probably does not work there any more, the owner does not do a good job of screening their help. Even the lady at the sister b&b was rude and unhelpful when we were trying to find a way to check in. In the morning when we asked about breakfast, we were handed a bag of stale bagels and directed to a bowl on the counter with apples and bananas in it. No coffee. No juice. We stay often in bed and breakfasts, and we've never had an experience as bad as this one, even without the theft. Wherever you stay, don't stay here. This place shouldn't call itself a bed and breakfast. If the owner can't manage the place any better than this, they should just close up shop and do something else.

Room Tip: Your car is more comfortable. Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We note the other reviews expressed concerns re booking, but we had no problem. We spoke to someone over the phone (ringing from the UK to Groveland) who was very helpful, and received an email confirmation within hours of making the booking. No credit card details were taken from us at this point. Onto the stay. It was great! The setting was beautiful, peaceful and with space for our children to play after the confinements of city hotels. The staff were friendly, helpful and included our children in the activities of the ranch - we couldn't fault the hospitality that we received during our stay. There was a family, homely atmosphere and we felt very comfortable here. We would not hesitate to stay again and recommend it to our friends with similar tastes. If you want luxury and maid service this may not be the place for you, but we like a quiet time and it was perfect for us. It was well placed for visiting Yosemite and we were given useful advice on other local places to visit which was very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Helen H
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed at Big Creek Meadow Ranch while looking for somewhere to stay near Yosemite National Park. Everything else was booked out a month in advance. The other reviews mention problems booking, but we had no problems (we booked through the tripadvisor link to hotels.com), and also got a confirmation.

The ranch itself is fairly small (four rooms), with a big shared living room. The room we had was spacious and had an ensuite bathroom. The balcony door led out onto wooden decking with a spectacular view of a meadow and mountains. This alone was incredible.

The drive from the ranch to Yosemite park entrance was about forty five minutes, which is pretty good considering the roads can get a little tight.

The lady at the ranch who helped us was very hospitable, easy to talk to, and gave us lots of useful information. We would not hesitate in staying here again, and next time we will stay longer.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank devloop
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Just a short review of my experience with this Ranch - I am planning a 2 night stay in Yosemite in May 2011 and after researching the internet for suitable accommodation I stumbled across Big Creek Meadow Ranch. Location-wise it was perfect and we were also sold on the idea of staying on a ranch!
It seemed the only way to check availability was via the website, and this meant putting in my credit card details (which I wasn't best pleased about). However this I did, and then waited for a response to my request. A week later I had still not heard from anyone regarding my booking, and unfortunately there was no sign of an email address on the website so it wasn't easy to get in touch. Instead I called the main telephone number and got their voicemail - I left a very clear message with my contact details and said I was unhappy that I had not received confirmation of my booking and that if I didn't hear from them within 3 days, I'd consider the booking cancelled. I also confirmed that I would be contacting my credit card company to ensure no funds were removed from my card (which I did).
So it's about 6 weeks since then and guess what - no response! I felt I should let other people know about this experience so that they can be sure to try another accommodation that actually wants your custom and bothers to get back to their prospective guests!

Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank hotfuss73
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I ended up not staying here, but had to post a review since it was such a strange and disturbing experience. I hope to help others not have the same experience.

I called several times to try to book a reservation with Big Creek Meadow Ranch. No response. I tried sending an email through their website with my reservation requests and my information, no response. I explained I had to have a confirmed reservation because I don't travel unless I know I have a place to stay. Since the Yosemite area is booked so far in advance, there is no way I could chance not having a confirmed reservation and end up spending tons of time trying to find a place when I arrived.

I finally got someone to answer the phone, but this person answered "All Seasons" and I said sorry, I have the wrong number and hung up.

Turns out it is the right number (the owner manages several properties including this one and the All Seasons also in Groveland), and after several other attempts to get response, I looked up the All Seasons B&B on Trip Advisor and saw many people had the same issue with the owner/manager of this and other properties they own. They don't confirm reservations, you get to the place you think you have reserved, having given credit card and personal information only to find you don't have a room waiting, and then have to scramble or be put somewhere else, more expensive. I was even more worried now that I had sent my credit card information through their form online through a website about places to stay near Yosemite.

I kept calling and someone finally answered, again stating "All Seasons" - I explained I had been trying to book at room at the Big Creek Meadow Ranch and she said she could take that reservation. I said that was fine, but I needed confirmation as I was worried since I was getting no response - and the place she answered from wasn't the place I was going to stay. It all seemed kind of hinky to me, but she said (without identifying herself) that she would send an email confirmation right to me.

By the following morning, when I still hadn't received confirmation and now thoroughly worried, (I didn't know who this person was or if I had even gotten the right place) I emailed the contact person on the Stay Near Yosemite website (I thought was the webmaster) to explain I was having issues with this Ranch owner and lack of response or confirmation, and was now worried I would be charged, but would have no room when I got there nearly two weeks later.

I was offered a room in another lovely B&B (a review will be posted of that one as well) and I felt I had no choice but to confirm a different room since I never had confirmation or contact from the Big Creek Meadow Ranch. I then emailed the same address on the online form, stating since I never received confirmation, a return call or even the email as promised I now considered I had to stay somewhere else and would not pay for, nor allow my credit card to be charged for the requested room at the Big Creek.

It took a bit, but I did get a followup email from the owner of Big Creek / All Seasons stating they would not charge me for the room I never got confirmation for - and the owner (who I believe was the person I spoke to, but never identified herself) stated she would "followup" with the staff person who supposedly I spoke to that never confirmed with me or sent me the email. I'm pretty sure it was the owner I spoke to but she was covering herself by putting it off on another staff member.

Just a warning: Do not accept anything less than a fully confirmed reservation for this place, or the All Seasons, or.... simply stay at one of the other lovely B&Bs in the area and avoid this one. There is something really wrong about their reservation system if they can't confirm, can't use a computer system to back up their reservations, and so many before have had issues with not having a room when they arrived in Groveland. I suggested to the owner that they needed to get hooked into a professional reservation system to avoid issues for their customers. This person manages 4 properties, two of which are the All Seasons and Big Creek Meadow Ranch. I do not know which the other two are, but be very very careful or you'll end up out your money, with no room at the Inn.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank flwrgrdn
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Me and my friends planned a trip to yosemite national park a little bit too late and didn't have the chance to find any lodging inside the park. It was a little difficult for us to find a place to stay eventhough it was only one night but we found this place online. We did not think twice and made a reservation. Our surprise was this place ended up fullfiling our expectations more than we thought! The owner was very friendly and respecful, seeing as we were three young ladys. When we entered the room we felt like we travelled back to our chilhood, it was very cute and we definetly felt like home. It was a little noisy in the night but hey, we were at a ranch! There are sheeps, cats, dogs, animals everywhere!
Going to Yosemite park was only about an hour drive but it didn't feel like it since the scenery paid for it. I would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
Rush Creek Lodge
#2 of 2 in El Portal
Yosemite Westgate Lodge
Yosemite Westgate Lodge
#4 of 7 in Groveland

Been to Big Creek Meadow Ranch? Share your experiences!