“Comfortable, unpretentious, and always interesting good company”
Review of Swan Levine House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grass Valley
Swan Levine House
Ranked #3 of 4 Grass Valley B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 14, 2010

We started staying at Swan Levine house when my brother moved to Grass Valley many years ago. Although he and his family now live in Nevada City - we still choose to stay here instead of Nevada City because we've not found anything that feels as "just right" as staying with Peggy and Howard.
The b&b offers lots of room options - we like that many rooms have a second sitting area, and some rooms have two seperate sleeping areas, which was convenient when our son was younger. For longer stays we like the apartment, which has a small kitchen and fridge, so we can stay upstairs and work if we need to (free WiFi).
Location wise we love when we don't feel like driving we can walk to Main Street, to shops, cafes, restaurants, the Center for Performing Arts, etc.
Besides the house being a very comfortable and homelike b & b, it's also a small part Grass Valley history museum and a very large part art gallery. The owners are both artists, and Howard still teaches print making in the adjacent studio, but they're also quite active in the community and are a wealth of knowledge about things to see and do in the area. And, as if his being able to teach you about printmaking and the community isn't enough, his breakfasts are always hearty, plentiful and tasty, served at your leisure or around the large dining room table. The only downside of those dining room breakfasts is that the other guests are always very interesting as well, and we often find ourselves lingering for hours and hours with other guests, rather than heading out to visit the relatives we traveled to California to see :-)

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GVRGirl

Reviewed January 6, 2010

we've been staying with howard and peggy for years now and I can't imagine going anywhere else - they are wonderful, friendly, artsy and open-minded - we meet the most interesting people every time we stay there - the house is a very interesting place filled with art and history - our kids and dog really like it - there are a variety of interesting rooms and suites - they are very helpful with arranging anything you might need during your stay - I can't recommend it highly enough, once you accept its limitations, of course

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank daddioSeattle
Reviewed July 15, 2009

My friend and I stayed here over the 4th of July weekend recently, and loved it so much. The gorgeous antiques, tasteful, colorful artwork covering all the walls, the cozy parlour and elegant dining room where breakfast is served, charming hosts....it totally surpassed my expectations. Their website doesn't do justice to all the beautiful rooms. We stayed in the suite, which was very nice, but next time I would stay in the surgery - the light in there is so enticing. Yummy, hearty breakfast, dreamy front porch/garden. I can't wait to go back. It's my new Yuba River valley home away from home.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank MichellefromSF
Reviewed January 9, 2009

Charming and different describes this beautiful and artsy Victorian house. The owners are very interesting people with lots of knowledge about the town of Grass Valley, CA architecture, arts, and every thing in between! The house is filled with the owner's art work as well as the work of others that have crossed their path.
They have been in the hospitality business for a long time, and they find a way to connect with every single guest.

We stayed in two rooms on the third floor. The price was very reasonable ($110 for two rooms) and we even had our own bathroom. The bed was extra comfortable with plush linens and very warm comforters and there was an extra heater in the room as well as the central heat for added comfort.

I highly recommend this place for families, especially if you have young kids or traveling with pets!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 10, 2008

I loved the Swan Levine House! My sister was actually born there when it was a hospital years ago. The place has gone through many changes over the years, but I think that Peggy and Howard (the current owners) have done a great job at keeping and creating a warm and inviting atmosphere in the house - I felt quite comfortable there (I loved all the antiques and artwork).
Howard and Peggy both like to cook and their breakfasts were filling and satisfying (the coffee needs to improve, though :( ).
The 'green room', where I stayed had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in a B&B, and the shower had plenty of pressure and heat.
But, it was Peggy's hospitality that really shone - our family was celebrating my mother's 90th birthday in her hometown (Grass Valley), and there were 24 of us coming and going, in and out of Swan Levine (many were staying elsewhere) continually for the entire week-end. Peggy welcomed them all, and even allowed us to use her breakfast/dining room one night for a very big take-out Thai meal, loaned us her kitchen and silverware, and even loaned us a big pop-up screen for a slide-show.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2007

If different you want this is it. This house has been a hospital, an art school and a B&B. The owners are very talented artists with much of their work hanging on display and the work of others.
We stayed in the room that was the old surgery. The price was reasonable but if I stayed there again I would stay in the Suite or the green room. They are prettier with Victorian furniture and lovely sitting parlors. Even the bathrooms are more comfortable having shelves for your toiletries which the Surgery room didn't have. We just put everything on the floor. Not like a room I'd expect at a B&B.
The bed was so comfortable with good quality linens and very warm from the great comforter. Had a good sleep and woke up to a sun-filled room. Nice to sit in the morning. But that is the uniqness of this place- each room is different. The downstairs is loaded with antiques and history pictures. It's so interesting. They have an attached art studio next door. It's a great old home.
The owners are nice and also very involved and knowledgable about the town of Grass Valley and Nevada City.
I would recommend this for a laid back kind of B&B

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple